The Weather thread - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

21 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

Jeez it's hot today. Loving it. I've been around  a long time and can't remember a better summer than this, is this the best summer for in the last 60 years?

Well, I have been around for 54 of them and this is the only summer I can remember being close to the summers of my childhood. 

I dont know what the official records say  but my own personal gauge suggests it is. Nevet before have i been  brave enough to travel without an umbrella for a full month . I had a mini crises on Wednesday when I arrived in Glasgow to rain and no umbrella or jacket.   

1976 was the hottest period in my lifetime in the UK. Droughts across UK & Europe.

1995 (or was it 1996?) there was a heatwave around May/June but I don't recall if it lasted more than a few weeks.

This has been the best and most sustained period of good weather I can remember since 1975.

9-10 weeks of good/great weather with only a handful of bad or indifferent days. Brilliant !  🌞🌞🌞

In 2003 we had a cracking summer and I picked a fully ripe melon on July 19th.  Remember it well cos it was so unusual and they're not normally ready until late August at the earliest.  2006 was another hot one.  Again, I picked a melon in July.

Got a couple of big ones this year (oooh matron) but they won't be ready this month.  Still, it's a nice change from the crappy weather we usually get.  I think we had our heating on one day last summer.  :( 

On 7/14/2018 at 3:54 PM, Eisegerwind said:

Jeez it's hot today. Loving it. I've been around  a long time and can't remember a better summer than this, is this the best summer for in the last 60 years?

Yes it really has been that bit special, 1995 was the only summer that compares in my lifetime however i think 1976 would take some beating by all accounts. I mentioned it at the start of this thread, the weather pattern has been completely different from late last year nov/dec thats what brang about the “beast from the east” it would be great if we were entring a new cycle of weather where cold winter are followed by scorching summers  

Edited by hampden_loon2878

I remember 1995 as being wet !   I'm sure that was the year the TV never shut up about the heat wave down south and it was was shite here.   Maybe just wet in the west?   I was working in Greenock after all

3 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

I remember 1995 as being wet !   I'm sure that was the year the TV never shut up about the heat wave down south and it was was shite here.   Maybe just wet in the west?   I was working in Greenock after all

Scotland was one of the hottest places in Europe for a few weeks (May/June?). My parents had friends from the south of France over in Dundee and they couldn't believe it. They also toured the highlands and west coast were some tarmac was melting on roads.

It maybe only lasted a few weeks though unlike this long spell of good/great weather.

Fascinating to see the heat map comparison between the 1976 and 2018 heatwaves. While '76 was localised around the British Isles, this year it's everywhere!  Man made impact on the climate or not, there's no doubt it's changing...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jul/24/why-is-europe-going-through-a-heatwave

Edited by Toepoke

On 7/15/2018 at 1:27 PM, TDYER63 said:

Well, I have been around for 54 of them and this is the only summer I can remember being close to the summers of my childhood. 

I dont know what the official records say  but my own personal gauge suggests it is. Nevet before have i been  brave enough to travel without an umbrella for a full month . I had a mini crises on Wednesday when I arrived in Glasgow to rain and no umbrella or jacket.   

Day 20 of no rain in Jersey, longest since records began, thunderstorms forecast for later this evening.

Where is it your flying to today again? 

Jinx Minx

22 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

Day 20 of no rain in Jersey, longest since records began, thunderstorms forecast for later this evening.

Where is it your flying to today again? 

Jinx Minx

Just as well I brought my umbrella.

Was in Ibiza in early June, they said it was the coldest week they had had in years 🙁 

As long as its sunny for Monday 👍

• 3 months later...

Looking at the GFS charts for next weekend, absolutely phenomenal if you like cold and snow, i would go as far as saying its one of the best charts i have ever seen, just a pitty that its not a month later when the sea temperature is just that little bit cooler

its over a week away and much can change, you can but hope

• 1 month later...

Snow has arrived in Upper Port Glasgow. Not too bad but apparently more to come today. Supposed to go Christmas shopping with the Mrs but talked her out of it, concerned about driving, blah, blah, blah. She bought it. Ah well, a day in front of the telly watching football and horse racing, I'm gutted. :beer2:

Edited by Lairdyfaeinverclyde

It's forecast to reach here around kick-off time this afternoon. In a sad statement of affairs about my once proud Yorkshire club, where men were men & women were glad of it, there is a serious risk that for the first time in the club's history the number of glove-wearers in the starting 11 could reach double figures.

Those were the days...

12th-february-1955-the-players-of-hudder