The Weather thread - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Must be after that as I can remember them as a kid in the late 80s/90s but maybe not widespread across full country.

I think it was 1995  that was a real scorcher. At times, Scotland was the hottest place in Europe, tarmac melting etc.

25 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I've shorts on at work, never thought I'd do that  but work eventually gave in as long as we've not got client meetings!

ffs, what will you wear on Dress-down-Friday?

29 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I've shorts on at work, never thought I'd do that  but work eventually gave in as long as we've not got client meetings!

The last staff meeting I suggested that we could ‘dress accordingly’ for the weather as we are not client facing. Everyone nodded eagerly in agreement. 

Longest spell of hot weather in years and women are still turning up in 100 denier black tights and men in long trousers and long sleeved shirts . Air conditioning on at freezing cos they are roasting and still they refuse to take their cardigans off , whilst the rest of us either freeze to death or revert to winter clothing. Why can folk not just embrace the nice weather, its not like it happens often.

A wee bit of science about some potentially interesting things to do with weather.

It's a really interesting time to be a solar physicist (high up amongst the sentences I thought I'd never say). The solar cycle, which is the variation in the magnetic field of the sun, has been a bit funny recently. It usually has an 11 year cycle, which is most obviously measurable by sunspot activity. The start of the current cycle was very odd, basically the number of sunspots got to the minimum and then instead of starting to increase again, stayed very low for about two years, then started to increase. The cycle which is just coming to an end was also very weak compared to the cycles for the last couple of hundred years. 

A solar minimum doesn't really change the amount of energy the sun is pumping out in a significant way (i.e. it doesn't have an effect on global climate), but it changes the solar wind and in particular seems to affect the amount of ultraviolet light reaching the upper atmosphere at the north and south pole. 

Every few hundred years, there is an extended period of the Solar Cycle being at a minimum. Examples of this are the Maunder Minimum, the Sporer minimum and the Dalton minimum in the last five or six hundred years or so. 

There seems to be a correlation between these minima and colder winters / warmer summers in Northern Europe. For example the Maunder minimum corresponds with the period known as the little ice age, where winters in Northern Europe were notably harsher. 

Whether there is a causal relationship is unclear. Some physicists have put forward a hypothesis that the change in UV at the north pole affects the strength of the polar vortex (upper atmosphere weather pattern at the pole) which normally helps to drive the jet stream. So an extended minimum of the solar cycle correlates with a weakening of the jet stream. That means there's a tendency towards our weather coming from the east a bit more often - so colder weather in the winter and hotter weather in the summer. 

The Solar Physics community is currently split about whether we're entering another multi decade minimum or if we'll go back to normal solar cycles. The next few years will tell all....

This is all more correlation and hypothesis at the moment, but it's based on some fairly solid stuff and is really interesting (to me at least). 

20 minutes ago, biffer said:

A wee bit of science about some potentially interesting things to do with weather.

It's a really interesting time to be a solar physicist (high up amongst the sentences I thought I'd never say). The solar cycle, which is the variation in the magnetic field of the sun, has been a bit funny recently. It usually has an 11 year cycle, which is most obviously measurable by sunspot activity. The start of the current cycle was very odd, basically the number of sunspots got to the minimum and then instead of starting to increase again, stayed very low for about two years, then started to increase. The cycle which is just coming to an end was also very weak compared to the cycles for the last couple of hundred years. 

A solar minimum doesn't really change the amount of energy the sun is pumping out in a significant way (i.e. it doesn't have an effect on global climate), but it changes the solar wind and in particular seems to affect the amount of ultraviolet light reaching the upper atmosphere at the north and south pole. 

Every few hundred years, there is an extended period of the Solar Cycle being at a minimum. Examples of this are the Maunder Minimum, the Sporer minimum and the Dalton minimum in the last five or six hundred years or so. 

There seems to be a correlation between these minima and colder winters / warmer summers in Northern Europe. For example the Maunder minimum corresponds with the period known as the little ice age, where winters in Northern Europe were notably harsher. 

Whether there is a causal relationship is unclear. Some physicists have put forward a hypothesis that the change in UV at the north pole affects the strength of the polar vortex (upper atmosphere weather pattern at the pole) which normally helps to drive the jet stream. So an extended minimum of the solar cycle correlates with a weakening of the jet stream. That means there's a tendency towards our weather coming from the east a bit more often - so colder weather in the winter and hotter weather in the summer. 

The Solar Physics community is currently split about whether we're entering another multi decade minimum or if we'll go back to normal solar cycles. The next few years will tell all....

This is all more correlation and hypothesis at the moment, but it's based on some fairly solid stuff and is really interesting (to me at least). 

Interesting indeed.  I think we'd all take a bit more snow if it meant getting regular spells like now.

22 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Interesting indeed.  I think we'd all take a bit more snow if it meant getting regular spells like now.

It can snow from November to March if we get this weather all summer as far as I'm concerned.

On 6/3/2018 at 11:48 AM, Mox said:

I've nothing to back up this assertion, but in the last 10 - 12 years, it has always felt as though May has been the best month for warm weather and then it takes a nose dive for the rest of the summer.

I've thought that for 20 years - not the warmest month, but most consistent for nice weather - was always at exam time, so I was sitting inside looking out  

This is warm enough for me.   (That's me not moaning about the heat :lol: )

I think Biffer's confirmed my old wives tale about cold winter = warm summer.   So far.

Those thunder showers missed here the other day.   Just a wee dribble.   Could do with washing down the pollen.   Just a one-day hose down like.

Guy at work used to get the bbq out about now and jinx the rest of the summer.   Every year without fail, so he's to blame for drookit Julys.

5 hours ago, biffer said:

I wish I knew stuff like this. When I see the sun the first thing I think is ‘ more freckles’ 🙁

Mr Tdyer bought me a book a few years ago called ‘ Chasing the Sun’  , I had asked for it as a christmas  present,  but it has lay in the cupboard gathering dust .He moans every so often about it haven cost him 30 quid.  I will need to dig it out. 

5 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I wish I knew stuff like this. When I see the sun the first thing I think is ‘ more freckles’ 🙁

Mr Tdyer bought me a book a few years ago called ‘ Chasing the Sun’  , I had asked for it as a christmas  present,  but it has lay in the cupboard gathering dust .He moans every so often about it haven cost him 30 quid.  I will need to dig it out. 

That's amazing stuff.

That you asked for a book!

41 minutes ago, Flure said:

That's amazing stuff.

That you asked for a book!

😂 aye, you are very brave when I am over here in Ibiza with Stevie G. 

It’s a hard back book too, I would bring it to Israel to impress you but it would take up too much of my weight allowance. I dont have room for the book AND my square sausage. 

On 6/6/2018 at 4:35 PM, Mox said:

Fucking boiling again in Glasgow, we're into uncharted territory here.

Normal weather resumes next week the Gulf Stream as started to shift into its normal position I.E pishing rain and winds summer is over 

28 minutes ago, wheres the pies said:

Normal weather resumes next week the Gulf Stream as started to shift into its normal position I.E pishing rain and winds summer is over 

Does anybody know or could make an educated guess that it will shift back to the position that results in lots of dry weather?

4 hours ago, Mox said:

Does anybody know or could make an educated guess that it will shift back to the position that results in lots of dry weather?

High pressure will be close by for the next three weeks according to the GFS charts, the weather look decent, or at least thats how I am reading the charts.