Peru - Match Thread - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Peru - Match Thread

Clyde1998

Just now, Third Lanark said:

Archer probably just won his final cap for Scotland. A Karius-type performance. How he kept so many clean sheets for Millwall is beyond me.

May be more down to the defence in front of him, rather than the goalkeeper.

9 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I will scream if I hear any more about lack of experience. Yet again Northern Ireland - with some players who have hardly played first team football- have gone and done better than us with a draw v. Panama.

In fairness, Panama aren't nearly as good as Peru, but I take your point.

I think its a mental thing. From the coaches to the players to the fans we don't believe we're any good. Its been that way since Vogts. Same thing when our club teams play in Europe.

11 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I will scream if I hear any more about lack of experience. Yet again Northern Ireland - with some players who have hardly played first team football- have gone and done better than us with a draw v. Panama.

Peru would trounce Panama, completely different level.

Honestly I thought in the first half we were really well structured, and were on the edge of creating opportunities, if we kept it to 0-0 at the break then Peru start to get nervous and we can play on counter-attacks.

Unfortunately a moment of madness from Jordan Archer killed the game plan and you can’t afford that type of error at international level.

In fact Peru only had 2 serious attempts on goal in the match, 1 was a penalty and the other was another GK error.

We were playing with in many cases our 4th or 5th best choice options against their full strength World Cup side and save for the aforementioned errors we were right in the game.

7 minutes ago, BraveheartGordon said:

Honestly I thought in the first half we were really well structured, and were on the edge of creating opportunities, if we kept it to 0-0 at the break then Peru start to get nervous and we can play on counter-attacks.

Unfortunately a moment of madness from Jordan Archer killed the game plan and you can’t afford that type of error at international level.

In fact Peru only had 2 serious attempts on goal in the match, 1 was a penalty and the other was another GK error.

We were playing with in many cases our 4th or 5th best choice options against their full strength World Cup side and save for the aforementioned errors we were right in the game.

I think that's the biggest positive we can take from this. With a weakened side (and in some places seriously weakened) we've gone away to a side that are ranked 11th in the world and only lost because of two errors. We made Peru looked very average this morning. It gives me hope that when we're back up to full strength, we'll have the quality to make an impact in the Nations League and the Euro qualifiers.

Where's the clown that is always on here calling for Archer to play and is forever slagging off Craig Gordon?

Two goalkeeping errors cost us the two goals we lost by. The match went pretty much as I was expecting from our point of view though considering this was our third/fourth string. Some did themselves no harm whilst some shot themselves in the foot.

2 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Blame those pricks that didn’t fancy it and pulled out of the squad

Mixture of daft game to take and lack of heart from some of the regulars, end of season, short break for some and CBA in the case of others with minor injuries etc appearing. Was always going to be a depleted squad

Well hopefully the experience of the tour and getting squad togetherness - for so many relative newcomers - will be a positive experience and build a new team McLeish's team for the future.

Watched the highlights this morning. Archer massively at fault for the first goal. Mulgrew would probably have it under control. Second goal, too similar to the Costa Rica goal, centre halves have to engage or a central midfield drop in.

From what I'm reading, the full backs were unsurprisingly not good enough for international football. Archer really not covering himself in glory at all. The lack of creativity in the middle of the park is not surprising given the team put out.

Ultimately despite the handball, sounds like McKenna was one of the positives as was McTominay. I'd really like to see McKenna and Hendry play together to see how they would play together as opposed to Mulgrew there. Berra still performing and putting forward a case too.

Playing as a four at the back, Gordon Strachan, despite his many flaws, probably got the full backs right with Tierney on the right and Robertson left. Unless Cadden stuns us, we may well be better served going back to the tried and trusted full backs in a four at the back.

Very concerned by the problems in the forward going areas. We are hugely reliant on Armstrong, McGregor and Griffiths for our creative spark. Essentially our midfield moving forward in the central area should be Armstrong, McGregor and one of McTominay, McArthur and McGinn, probably McTominay. Out wide, probably looking at Forrest and Fraser with Phillips there and thereabouts too.

Lot of food for thought. Moving forward, probably looking at the following players being played for the first Nations League games: McGregor/Gordon, Tierney, Hendry, McKenna, Robertson, McTominay, Armstrong, McGregor, Griffiths. Still looking for a right back to stop us going back to Tierney and two wingers.

3 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

He’s overrated, I’ve been saying it for two seasons now

That’s as maybe but FFS, can ye shut up aboot it until your team and my team have made a few bob out of him! 👍