Tommy Robinson - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I spent a good portion of yesterday on a MMA site trying to explain why it isn't a freedom of speech issue.

It's been totally mis-reported in America, and Mixed Martial Arts sites aren't the bastions of progressive thinking either.

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

The most surreal thing i saw was  Roseanne Barr tweeting in support of him

Don Jr was weighing in as well. Roseanne Barr seems to have completely lost the plot.  Not sure if it's a recent thing or she's always been batshit. 

6 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

He seems to have divided the “racist uncles” and the lefty’s in my social media feeds.

:lol:

I had a Canadian Right-winger trying to compare him to Nelson Mandela. Came on here and read madder stuff though lol

3 minutes ago, phart said:

this is the local journalist who covered it and got the restrictions lifted.

https://twitter.com/i/moments/1001517056150339584

Unfortunately, folk like the two we've quoted here are shouted down by the hard of thinking who don't actually want to understand how reporting restrictions and contempt of court work. 

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Unfortunately, folk like the two we've quoted here are shouted down by the hard of thinking who don't actually want to understand how reporting restrictions and contempt of court work. 

Americans are the worst as they don't seem to comprehend that we have different laws form them and in the main we're generally quite happy and don't want to change them.

Secret Barrister makes an interesting point about the reporting restrictions creating a vacuum which meant that the conspiracy nuts were able to spout their theories but the actual facts couldn't be reported.

The law in general hasn't really kept up with the information age.

i remember in the 1980s when the book Spycatcher came out and it was subject to a ban in the UK, I bought a copy when I was abroad and that was the only way I'd have been able to read even extracts.  Nowadays, it would take nothing more than a Google search to find multiple overseas sites publishing details, I could probably even order a copy from Amazon's US site and get it shipped to the UK.

While you could argue about whether specific examples should or shouldn't be subject to restrictions, I'm generally uncomfortable with the US 1st amendment approach to free speech 

They also dont understand free speech.It means you can say what you want without prosecution,persecution etc from the government. It doesn't mean you can say what you want and everyone still has to hire you, have you as their sponsor etc.

5 hours ago, phart said:

They also dont understand free speech.It means you can say what you want* without prosecution,persecution etc from the government. It doesn't mean you can say what you want and everyone still has to hire you, have you as their sponsor etc.

*outwith libel and slander...

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...