Neale Cooper - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

9 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Only 54. No age at all. 

I know. Scored my probable favourite goal of all time (sorry, it was against you in a cup final!). Very funny lad, always laughing. 

Edited by SMcoolJ

Terrible news, no age at all.  When he broke through at Aberdeen at a young age I thought he would be an important player for the National team, struggled a lot with injuries once he left Aberdeen which put paid to that.

Funnily enough my abiding memories of him are seeing him jogging down Union St at about 5pm one evening around 1984 or so, in full Aberdeen training kit obviously loving the attention, nothing wrong with that.  

20 minutes ago, aaid said:

Terrible news, no age at all.  When he broke through at Aberdeen at a young age I thought he would be an important player for the National team, struggled a lot with injuries once he left Aberdeen which put paid to that.

Funnily enough my abiding memories of him are seeing him jogging down Union St at about 5pm one evening around 1984 or so, in full Aberdeen training kit obviously loving the attention, nothing wrong with that.  

Similar memories. Remember him running past me on Don Steet, probably the same year- who knows maybe the same day. Was going to be the new Beckenbauer but injuries prevented that. Like you I thought he'd be a Scotland regular for years to come. Sad,sad news.

Gutted by this.

Brilliant player and a very funny guy. A proper character.

A big part of a massive achievement by a team like Aberdeen. I mean they beat Real Madrid FFS!

Played for a brilliant Aberdeen team who serially gubbed the Murn despite being probably the best era in our history. We were good. We could beat everyone else but seldom those effers! 😁

RIP big man.A genuine legend in a time when that title gets dished out all too readily. 

I was so shocked and saddened to learn about this. Neale and the other young players who came through into the Aberdeen first team in the early 80s were all local lads and Dons supporters. They understood what it meant to the fans because they felt the same way. Despite all they achieved they kept their feet on the ground and always had time for the fans - I’ve met quite a few of them at supporters’ functions over the years and have been amazed at just how willing they were to mix with the fans and swap stories of the glory days. Neale seemed to be something of a focal point for the other players at these events and came across as a genuinely happy, fun loving and decent guy. What a player he was too.

RIP Tattie.

a real shock

he used to go in with his mum to my dads work to drop her car off ; was always chatting to folk , and my dad spoke very highly of him ; unlike leighton 

i read a bit about his life story today , turns out he lost his father as a youngster and it was the school janny that spotted him kicking a ball and encouraged him , ramped up to teddy scott, fergie etc

i never really figured out he was only 2 years older than me , as he seemed to be a fixture in the side for a long time

Such sad news, he is about my age and remember seeing him about town in his younger days always smiling and chatting to people, was a truly nice guy and part of the best Aberdeen side I was lucky enough to see back then. RIP Neale.

At the sportsmans dinner he was talking about his time at rangers when souness signed him. Rangers got beat and in dressing room souness was going mental. He went round the players and asked how much each of them had cost. Every one was round about 1 or 5 million. He came to Cooper and he replied 100 grand. Souness said so its your fucking fault!! Whether that was true or not it was a brilliant story. Great guy.