DIY and Austerity - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Only Mr Tdyer. I am too scared to pass them to get to the shops for food  so we have to have takeaways the last 2 nights. I have had 2 glasses of wine and still no going near them. He would have been cheaper getting Rentokil in. 

They are definetely not flies. 

Wasps don't hover. That's why I suggested hover flies. But hover flies don't sting. 

But a hoover could be the answer. If you can see the wasps byke, wait until after dark, when they will be inactive, then go out with the hoover and sook up the wasps byke then spray loads of wasp killer up the nozzle. Sorted.

Edited by Orraloon

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Wasps don't hover. That's why I suggested hover flies. But hover flies don't sting. 

But a hoover could be the answer. If you can see the wasps byke, wait until after dark, when they will be inactive, then go out with the hoover and sook up the wasps byke then spray loads of wasp killer up the nozzle. Sorted.

😂 where is Fermer and his hoover when you need him. Talking Champions league shit thats where.

No-one got physically stung, I meant Mr Tdyer got his wallet stung. 

Tomorrow I am going to stake out these hornets with a jamjar and put an end to this Hornetgate once and for all. 

11 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

😂

Tomorrow I am going to stake out these hornets with a jamjar and put an end to this Hornetgate once and for all. 

Unless you know someone who has a proper suit most councils will remove them for a fee - can be anything from £25-£50

Meant to add - had to get the council out as there were 3 separate nests around the roof guttering

But if the nest is low level you can go at it with a spray of washing up liquid and water if you take precautions - cover up or wait till the late evening

11 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Unless you know someone who has a proper suit most councils will remove them for a fee - can be anything from £25-£50

I have a Tinky Winky teletubby suit from Halloween. But they might be like bulls and go for red so I am no taking the chance. 

11 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Meant to add - had to get the council out as there were 3 separate nests around the roof guttering

But if the nest is low level you can go at it with a spray of washing up liquid and water if you take precautions - cover up or wait till the late evening

I wouldn't trust Mr Tdyer with anything like that. The last house we lived in there was a wasps byke in the space above the living room window and the roof. He got a bit of wood and hammered it into the space they were getting in. 

A couple of hours later I was sitting in the living room and a wasp pokes its nose through the ceiling just above the window. I nearly shit myself. By the morning there were about 10 dead wasps lying on the floor. He had forced them into the house when they couldnt get out.  

Had a belter of a DIY faux pas yesterday.

We are bricking up our side door, so my wife took the kids out the road and I stayed as a labourer.  As we were towards back of house; for security, I locked the front door, then left the house through the side door we were about to brick up, as my family arrived home we had bricked up 75% of the door and only then realised we were locked out. Had to lift my 4 year old through the gap in the blocked up doorway to unlock the door and let us in.

If they’d arrived home 30 minutes later we’d have bricked up the door completely. 😂

9 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

We are bricking up our side door, so my wife took the kids out the road and I stayed as a labourer.  As we were towards back of house; for security, I locked the front door, then left the house through the side door we were about to brick up, as my family arrived home we had bricked up 75% of the door and only then realised we were locked out. Had to lift my 4 year old through the gap in the blocked up doorway to unlock the door and let us in.

If they’d arrived home 30 minutes later we’d have bricked up the door completely. 😂

:lol: Was your brickie called Olly?

I am assuming the "S" in your username is for "Stan"

:lol:

11 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

:lol: Was your brickie called Olly?

I am assuming the "S" in your username is for "Stan"

:lol:

The wean seemed to get through the small space too easily. I think the ’F’ in his username is for Fagan. 

• 2 months later...

I know you are all desperate to know the outcome of hornetville. 

The hornets were infact masonry bees. Well at least that is the opinion of Barry the mouse catcher whose services we recently called upon. 

The hedge we have sits on a wall, and apparently they make nests in walls and lay their eggs . They return each year so we have it all to look forward to next year 🙁

Just seen this , I live very close to Inverclyde. 

https://www.inverclyde.gov.uk/environment/environmental-health/pest-control/mason-bees

Councils dont remove them. Just as well Mr Tidy is shit at DIY and only one or two masonry bees were killed in the making of this thread. 

I'd like to point out that wasps get a very bad press

They do everything a bee does with regards pollination and they eat lots of nasty insects

They really only sting you if they feel threatened

Now a lot of the time you dont mean to threaten them and it just happens - like it lands on your hand for a wee rest and you move suddenly

And as has been said here before - in late summer the social structure of the colony starts to break down and they start to starve to death so they go looking for sweet foods and soft drinks/beer etc and this brings them into contact with us

By this point they are really disorientated so it's best to just leave them be

22 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

They do everything a bee does with regards pollination and they eat lots of nasty insects

Now a lot of the time you dont mean to threaten them and it just happens - like it lands on your hand for a wee rest and you move suddenly

And as has been said here before - in late summer the social structure of the colony starts to break down and they start to starve to death so they go looking for sweet foods and soft drinks/beer etc and this brings them into contact with us

They wouldnt bother me so much if they didnt make that humming sound right in your ear. It really freaks me out. 

I will try to remember your wise words before battering the next one to death with my handbag. 

Over the past week I've been on four different golf courses and every one of them has been infested with hover flies. I have never seen so many of them before. Now, they don't do anybody any harm, but it's quite difficult to concentrate when you've got half a dozen hover flies clinging to your balls.

13 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Over the past week I've been on four different golf courses and every one of them has been infested with hover flies. I have never seen so many of them before. Now, they don't do anybody any harm, but it's quite difficult to concentrate when you've got half a dozen hover flies clinging to your balls.

Is it just shit golfers the flies hover round , or all of them? 

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

I'd recommend you ditch the baggy shorts and instead wear plus fours with tight undies.

10 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

I've been stung twice by wasps.   First time I knelt on one on my bed.   It was cooried up in the sheets.

Second time I was standing at a bus stop and one got up my jeans.   Flares in them days!   Got to about six inches from the top when I felt a strange stirring.   Got stung when I made a sudden grab there with my hands.   Didn't think I could explain things to the old wummin at the bus stop, so just limped off back to my girlfriend's for some vinegar.

Disorientated or after the sugar?

1 hour ago, Grim Jim said:

Second time I was standing at a bus stop and one got up my jeans.   Flares in them days!   Got to about six inches from the top when I felt a strange stirring.   Got stung when I made a sudden grab there with my hands.   Didn't think I could explain things to the old wummin at the bus stop, so just limped off back to my girlfriend's for some vinegar stroke.

Hmmm.....

On 8/4/2018 at 4:11 PM, Orraloon said:

I know exactly what you mean, they were everywhere on Saturday. Trying to concentrate and they’re crawling over my balls and up my shaft. Very distracting.

One got taught a lesson on 17 though, 164 to the pin, the arrogant wee prick was just walking all over the ball, I went to mark up and had to clean blood off the side of my ball, sentenced to death by 7 iron :ok: