Tipping - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Who do you tip/don’t tip and why? Why do some people get a tip and others don’t?

A taxi driver is traditionally fair game for a tip but a bus driver isn’t. A taxi driver doesn’t declare full earnings and receives tips regularly whereas a bus driver doing an honest days graft gets hee-haw

Taxi Drivers

Nope, you never hear of a poor taxi driver when they’re going on their 3 week cruises round the Caribbean and yet they’ve got the cheek to always plead poverty and tell you how “there’s no work in this game these days”

Barbers 

Sometimes, if the barber keeps his mouth shut and gets on with chopping my hair then yes, I’ll bung him a couple of quid extra. If however he pushes that hard sell and comes out with the usual pish, shite and onions about getting away this year, have I finished work or the weather then naw, I don’t tip

Waiters/Waitresses

Sometimes, if they can’t wait to clear your table while your last forkful is still in your gullet, keep asking if everything’s ok, really loud while at close by tables and just general cockiness ie balancing a million plates on each arm and acting the boy in front of females then no. I can abide by parts of the above if they are perhaps a young student and just trying to get by or rushed of their feet then I’ll slip them a few bob. If paying my card no, “do you want to add a graduity fee” do I fuck

Takeaway Drivers 

No. You wouldn’t tip a postie or the UPS boy so why the chippy man? Most of them are either working the system and on the buroo or already in full time employment

Bar Staff

If the boozer is busy then yes. In 99% of past experience in the past it has gaurantee me being served pronto, unless they give you your change on one of yon wee dishes expecting a tip then they can away’n raffle themselves 

47 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Who do you tip/don’t tip and why? Why do some people get a tip and others don’t?

A taxi driver is traditionally fair game for a tip but a bus driver isn’t. A taxi driver doesn’t declare full earnings and receives tips regularly whereas a bus driver doing an honest days graft gets hee-haw

Taxi Drivers

Nope, you never hear of a poor taxi driver when they’re going on their 3 week cruises round the Caribbean and yet they’ve got the cheek to always plead poverty and tell you how “there’s no work in this game these days”

Barbers 

Sometimes, if the barber keeps his mouth shut and gets on with chopping my hair then yes, I’ll bung him a couple of quid extra. If however he pushes that hard sell and comes out with the usual pish, shite and onions about getting away this year, have I finished work or the weather then naw, I don’t tip

Waiters/Waitresses

Sometimes, if they can’t wait to clear your table while your last forkful is still in your gullet, keep asking if everything’s ok, really loud while at close by tables and just general cockiness ie balancing a million plates on each arm and acting the boy in front of females then no. I can abide by parts of the above if they are perhaps a young student and just trying to get by or rushed of their feet then I’ll slip them a few bob. If paying my card no, “do you want to add a graduity fee” do I fuck

Takeaway Drivers 

No. You wouldn’t tip a postie or the UPS boy so why the chippy man? Most of them are either working the system and on the buroo or already in full time employment

Bar Staff

If the boozer is busy then yes. In 99% of past experience in the past it has gaurantee me being served pronto, unless they give you your change on one of yon wee dishes expecting a tip then they can away’n raffle themselves 

Did you tip the trainer on your Microsoft Word course ? 

1 minute ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

People seem to forget that on Christmas day, hogmany, New years day. early hours of the morning (if there is no bus service) people would be fucked getting anywhere without taxi's. Deserve a tip. 

Some do talk shite tho.

used quote instead of edit.

Edited by Lairdyfaeinverclyde

I do tip, but find the whole thing quite uncomfortable. I’d much rather it was just done away with and included in price.

I also sometimes wonder what’s the point, unless it’s somewhere I go regularly. As most circumstances dictate you tip after receiving the goods/services, it’s too late, you’re leaving never to return, who cares if a waiter thinks you’re cheap if they’ll never see you again.

Also kind of grudge tipping when it’s on expenses, as that’s coming out my pocket.

I always tip waiting staff, unless they're really inattentive. Waiting for ages to pay or for them to come and ask if i want a drink really annoys me but i do try and factor in that the restaurant has probably spread the staff too thinly and they're run off their feet. Excellent service 15-20%, good service 10-15%, average service 10% and likely not much if it's been really poor.  

I do hate when it asks on the card reader if i want to add a tip. Makes you look a tight cunt if you say no, even though i intend on leaving a cash tip on the table. I don't trust restaurants to pass on the full tip if it is going through their banks, so i always prefer to leave cash. 

Barbers - go to the same woman every time and always give her a tip. Normally up the £8.50 cut to a round £10. 

Taxi drivers - normally give them up to the next £, or if the fare is something like £6.80, I'll go up to £8. 

12 hours ago, DonnyTJS said:

There's no tipping at all in Japan - offering a tip is considered insulting. Takes a fair bit of stress out of life.

Aye, noticed that when I did a tour round the globe a few years back. In the USA they were offended if you didn't tip enough, in Japan they were offended if you tipped anything at all, and in Australia they didn't care either way!

I tip much the same as everyone else. Obligatory 10% in restaurants unless the service is really poor,  an extra quid to the taxi driver unless they are surly and rude. Round up my 13 quid haircut to 15 quid unless the hairdresser tells me how much she would love red hair as it doesn't go grey.  

I shall also be including the bin men at Christmas this year after learning of their connection to the mob. 

What if you have booked a Taxi to the airport (glasgow) online and the fare will be taken from your bank card when the journey is finished

Is a tip appropriate then apart from the £2 drop off rip off ?

is tipping not done - generally speaking - in low paid, casual hours jobs. The tip does actually make a difference.

Anybody complaining about it maybe try to survive in one of these jobs?

The biggest piss take is restaurant owners who don't pass the tips onto the staff. I've refused to tip at places like this. It was all going in the owners pocket.

1 hour ago, Big Col said:

The biggest piss take is restaurant owners who don't pass the tips onto the staff. I've refused to tip at places like this. It was all going in the owners pocket.

Aye even if I pay the bill by card I make sure the staff get the tip in cash.

1 hour ago, Big Col said:

The biggest piss take is restaurant owners who don't pass the tips onto the staff. I've refused to tip at places like this. It was all going in the owners pocket

I have worked in the industry for 25 years, and it is very common for the management to take a minimum of 25% of the tips, to "Cover shortages" (25% seems to be the unofficial going industry rate), but I have seen it be as much as 50%.

I personally have only worked in 1 place the management took all of the tips (The owner was an total khunt, who tried to sting me for my wages as well, so needless to say, 1 week was more than enough working for him), but I do know of quite a few other places, where the same thing happens on a very regular basis.

The worst offenders, are not the wee family run pub's and restaurants (They are usually the best towards their staff), but rather the big chain groups of pubs and restaurants, although there are 1 or 2 exceptions, the majority of them are run by money grabbing  khunts, who have forgot what like it is to struggle by on minimum wage, and see their staffs tips as part of their bonus.

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2018 at 9:26 PM, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

People seem to forget that on Christmas day, hogmany, New years day. early hours of the morning (if there is no bus service) people would be fucked getting anywhere without taxi's. Deserve a tip. 

People would be fucked without electricians, I very rarely receive a tip when I finish a job. 

Nor do I expect one, I’m already being paid for what I’m doing. 

24 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

People would be fucked without electricians, I very rarely receive a tip when I finish a job. 

Nor do I expect one, I’m already being paid for what I’m doing. 

Every cunt tips me. It’s mental. Say I price something at a grandish. More often than not I’ll get a ton tip.