Russia 2018 - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

7 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

England would fancy their chances against all the teams in Group H in the last 16 too. Brazil or Germany are the likely QF teams they'd come up against. 

I still fancy France and Belgium but I'd like Argentina to win it with Messi. 

Am I the only person that doesn’t see the hype that surrounds Belgium?

They are like England from around 2002-2010 maybe? All the big name top stars but no team

5/4 for England to top the group is worth a bet. Belgium are guff

45 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

They are like England from around 2002-2010 maybe? All the big name top stars but no team

Their results over the last 2 years have been pretty impressive, albeit against teams you'd expect them to beat.

I think they'll do well. 

8 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Racism, Homophobia, Corruption, Back handers.....anything else?

Couldn’t that apply to any country?

I will feel guilty about watching the World Cup given the amount of fifa corruption involved and the deaths in Qatar.

5 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Couldn’t that apply to any country?

I will feel guilty about watching the World Cup given the amount of fifa corruption involved and the deaths in Qatar.

Aye, every country has the same issues with homophobia/racism as Russia.

Silly me.

14 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Aye, every country has the same issues with homophobia/racism as Russia.

Silly me.

What’s your source for the homophobia in Russia? Just I’ve read a few things, a while back now that say it’s just more russia bad pish from western media. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2018 at 7:50 PM, DoonTheSlope said:

I’m with you on this.

France are my pick for winning it. Germany don’t appear to be firing on all cylinders of late and I just don’t see anything but a European team lifting the trophy. ABE.

2 hours ago, macy37 said:

I’m with you on this.

France are my pick for winning it. Germany don’t appear to be firing on all cylinders of late and I just don’t see anything but a European team lifting the trophy. ABE.

Based on some of your other predictions, I feel a bit more confident on Brazil now.

:lol:

It’s a weird one, as usually if it’s in Europe there’s a European winner, but Russia isn’t the most European place in a lot of ways, which may favour Brazil. Although I think it’s down to Brazil, Germany, maybe France or Spain. I think if England can avoid those 4, they could go far, I haven’t played it out yet...

Edited by sbcmfc

Can we have a thread on how much trouble there will be or will this one do ?

If i was an England fan travelling i'd be bricking it tbh

9 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Can we have a thread on how much trouble there will be or will this one do ?

If i was an England fan travelling i'd be bricking it tbh

Frankie Boyle says that the hooligans will be "persuaded" to stay at home. Time will tell if he is right.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:18 AM, ParisInAKilt said:

What’s your source for the homophobia in Russia? Just I’ve read a few things, a while back now that say it’s just more russia bad pish from western media. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Russia

Russia has been viewed as being socially conservative regarding homosexuality, with recent polls indicating that a majority of Russians are against the acceptance of homosexuality and have shown support for laws discriminating against homosexuals.[citation needed] Despite receiving international criticism for the recent increase in social discrimination, crimes, and violence against homosexuals, larger cities such as Moscow[4] and Saint Petersburg[5] have been said to have a thriving LGBT community. However, there has been a historic resistance to gay pride parades by local governments; despite being fined by the European Court of Human Rights in 2010 for interpreting it as discrimination, the city of Moscow denied 100 individual requests for permission to hold Moscow Pride through 2012, citing a risk of violence against participants.

https://www.amnestyusa.org/as-the-world-celebrates-idaho-homophobia-in-russia-is-on-the-rise/

In January 2013, the Russian State Duma showed overwhelming support for a homophobic bill that would outlaw “propaganda of homosexuality amongst minors.” The draft legislation, which is due for a second reading at the end of May, does not define such propaganda, nor is it defined elsewhere in Russian law. If passed, this broad definition could easily be used to try to muzzle the LGBTI community, further stigmatizing and isolating LGBTI Russians and curtailing their access to important information about sexual and mental health.

Such a ban is already in force in St. Petersburg, Russia’s second largest city and has been used to fine and arrest numerous nonviolent LGBTI demonstrators.

More recently, President Putin publicly confirmed reports that his government was considering a change to Russian law that would block gay couples from adopting Russian orphans. This announcement came fast on the heels of France’s decision to give same-sex couples the legal right to marry and adopt children.

Just now, Squirrelhumper said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Russia

Russia has been viewed as being socially conservative regarding homosexuality, with recent polls indicating that a majority of Russians are against the acceptance of homosexuality and have shown support for laws discriminating against homosexuals.[citation needed] Despite receiving international criticism for the recent increase in social discrimination, crimes, and violence against homosexuals, larger cities such as Moscow[4] and Saint Petersburg[5] have been said to have a thriving LGBT community. However, there has been a historic resistance to gay pride parades by local governments; despite being fined by the European Court of Human Rights in 2010 for interpreting it as discrimination, the city of Moscow denied 100 individual requests for permission to hold Moscow Pride through 2012, citing a risk of violence against participants.

https://www.amnestyusa.org/as-the-world-celebrates-idaho-homophobia-in-russia-is-on-the-rise/

In January 2013, the Russian State Duma showed overwhelming support for a homophobic bill that would outlaw “propaganda of homosexuality amongst minors.” The draft legislation, which is due for a second reading at the end of May, does not define such propaganda, nor is it defined elsewhere in Russian law. If passed, this broad definition could easily be used to try to muzzle the LGBTI community, further stigmatizing and isolating LGBTI Russians and curtailing their access to important information about sexual and mental health.

Such a ban is already in force in St. Petersburg, Russia’s second largest city and has been used to fine and arrest numerous nonviolent LGBTI demonstrators.

More recently, President Putin publicly confirmed reports that his government was considering a change to Russian law that would block gay couples from adopting Russian orphans. This announcement came fast on the heels of France’s decision to give same-sex couples the legal right to marry and adopt children.

Cheers.

I’ll look into it more when I’ve got time.

11 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Based on some of your other predictions, I feel a bit more confident on Brazil now.

:lol:

It’s a weird one, as usually if it’s in Europe there’s a European winner, but Russia isn’t the most European place in a lot of ways, which may favour Brazil. Although I think it’s down to Brazil, Germany, maybe France or Spain. I think if England can avoid those 4, they could go far, I haven’t played it out yet...

Assuming (i know) that Brazil and Germany win their respective groups then England will face one of them in the Quarter Finals depending on where they finish in their own group.

17 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

Assuming (i know) that Brazil and Germany win their respective groups then England will face one of them in the Quarter Finals depending on where they finish in their own group.

I can’t see them getting past either of them.

I can’t decide what I think of England, I wasn’t particularly impressed in either of our games against them, they took their chances at Wembley and I suspect a better keeper wouldn’t have let in both Griffiths Free kicks at Hampden, but we weren’t outclassed in either game.

I thought Gareth Southgate wasn’t upto the job, but he does seem to be doing a lot of things correctly. Barring Sterling it’s been quite uncontroversial so far, they have a decent group of players and a potential match winner in Kane.

They don’t have the quality to have a go at the top teams, but playing cautiously might be easier than having the pressure of being expected to break down Tunisia and Panama.

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

I can’t see them getting past either of them.

I can’t decide what I think of England, I wasn’t particularly impressed in either of our games against them, they took their chances at Wembley and I suspect a better keeper wouldn’t have let in both Griffiths Free kicks at Hampden, but we weren’t outclassed in either game.

I thought Gareth Southgate wasn’t upto the job, but he does seem to be doing a lot of things correctly. Barring Sterling it’s been quite uncontroversial so far, they have a decent group of players and a potential match winner in Kane.

They don’t have the quality to have a go at the top teams, but playing cautiously might be easier than having the pressure of being expected to break down Tunisia and Panama.

I can't see them getting past Germany or Brazil either, but in knock out football you just never know.

I'm the same with England, don't really know what to think. They usually qualify with ease and on paper have a decent enough squad and team but ultimately they have a pretty poor record at tournaments, since 1990 they have had a couple of QF appearances, a couple of R16's and a group stage knock out last time.

I can see them struggling past Tunisia and Panama and then possibly looking better against Belgium as they are likely to come out and play. Chances are they will come up against Poland/Colombia in the R16 which would be a difficult game for them.

12 minutes ago, slasher said:

Going to watch a major tournament we are not in is one thing......but cunts that rock up at them wearing kilts and waving saltires are worth the watching imo 😏

If you think the Scottish are bad, you should see those Irish mob that turn up for  Scottish league games...

😛

3 hours ago, slasher said:

Going to watch a major tournament we are not in is one thing......but cunts that rock up at them wearing kilts and waving saltires are worth the watching imo 😏

I agree totally. However as I’m going with Polish family to support Poland I’d rather go wearing a kilt rather than have folk think I’m actually Polish 😩

6 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

So there’s been no controversy at all then