Russia 2018 - Page 77 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

3 hours ago, gusmac said:

Never been short of world class c#nts though. The current team have lingard, sterling, ali, kane, and Ashley Young. Recent c#nts have included Hart, Rooney, Terry, Gerrard, Phil Jones. The all time list of c#nts has Lineker, Shilton, Seaman, Shearer, beckam , gary neville, phil neville, scholes and jamie redknapp. A special mention for clive tydsley as well. ........Well played croatia.

You missed Ian Wright and my personal favourite, Michael Owen. Top class cunts. 

7 hours ago, phart said:

Matt LeTissier was world class as well.

You might be right, but for various reasons he never had the opportunity to prove it. I'm not saying that he necessarily needed to play for England in major tournaments in order to do that (because there have been players like George Weah who were world class but represented nations that never qualified), but I think he did at least need to go to a top English or foreign club and prove himself in the Champions League and in big domestic games. Although he's a Southampton legend, I have to be honest and say that I wish he had gone and tested himself. I know he had a good career and it was his choice what he did and I'm sure he is happy with it, but I just would have liked to have seen what he was capable of.

Just now, George Saint said:

You might be right, but for various reasons he never had the opportunity to prove it. I'm not saying that he necessarily needed to play for England in major tournaments in order to do that (because there have been players like George Weah who were world class but represented nations that never qualified), but I think he did at least need to go to a top English or foreign club and prove himself in the Champions League and in big domestic games. Although he's a Southampton legend, I have to be honest and say that I wish he had gone and tested himself. I know he had a good career and it was his choice what he did and I'm sure he is happy with it, but I just would have liked to have seen what he was capable of.

One club man - loyalty was his downfall. Exciting player and great penalty taker. Great to watch and was pretty much given a free range when he played. One of my favourite players.

1 minute ago, English_Nick said:

One club man - loyalty was his downfall.

You're right and it's hard to criticise him for that, but I just wish he'd gone to a big club and had a go for a couple of years. If it didn't work out, he could have come back, although without him we'd have probably been relegated and he wouldn't want to return anyway. There's not many players I can think of who repeatedly chose not to make a big move when it was on offer. Much more common is players who took the risk and it didn't work out for them and they dropped back down a level. But at least they will never be left wondering what if.

13 minutes ago, George Saint said:

You're right and it's hard to criticise him for that, but I just wish he'd gone to a big club and had a go for a couple of years. If it didn't work out, he could have come back, although without him we'd have probably been relegated and he wouldn't want to return anyway. There's not many players I can think of who repeatedly chose not to make a big move when it was on offer. Much more common is players who took the risk and it didn't work out for them and they dropped back down a level. But at least they will never be left wondering what if.

Agreed. Top post. Very much a 'what if?'.

9 hours ago, English_Nick said:

One club man - loyalty was his downfall. Exciting player and great penalty taker. Great to watch and was pretty much given a free range when he played. One of my favourite players.

Fear that this could end up the same way with Kieran Tierney at Celtic. Should really be looking to make the next step but given he is an uber fan of the club can really see him being there to try and win 10 IAR before even contemplating another move...

From a football fans point of view I’d love Croatia to win it but from a gamblers point of view then I have to hope for a France win

I backed the French before the kick off and during the tournament I started investing e/w on Croatia from 12s down to 5s

Money talks 

🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

12 hours ago, George Saint said:

I can never understand comments like that. I don't know who or what made you hate England for the past 18 years, but personally I'd rather you didn't bother jumping on the bandwagon again now. You can keep your hatred because I for one don't welcome you back as a fellow England fan. You come across as utterly pathetic. How long will it be before you find another childish reason to throw your toys out the pram and decide to hate England for another 18 years? I don't know if you were just trying to suck up to the Scots, but these folk aren't stupid. They will see you for what you are, just as they would if some numpty said they had hated the Scotland team for 18 years but now suddenly likes them. Your comments about London are nonsense too. If you're representative of the folk of West Bromwich, I'd happily have your area as part of a different country. Rant over.

Ha! Ha! I used to consider myself working class till I went to West Bromwich once: now I consider myself middle class.

Edited by Third Lanark
mistake

The bookies must have taken a fair pounding as they are offering fuck all for todays game

An example is Lukaku or Kane to score TWO or more - 5/1 and 19/5 respectively - get to fuck

The desmond is only 10/1 - fuck off

3 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

TAMBS first ever plastic chair throwing square go. 

Nah, I'm from the wealthy south of England so I'll be throwing oak antique chairs. They're heavier so my rate of fire will be slower, but if I connect he'll be going down for sure.

20 hours ago, Ormond said:

Paul Scholes was their last World class midfielder.

Neither Gascoigne or Scholes was world class. There is this myth that surrounds Scholes, he was a good midfielder, nothing more than that. 

Edited by Mox

2 hours ago, Mox said:

Neither Gascoigne or Scholes was world class. There is this myth that surrounds Scholes, he was a good midfielder, nothing more than that. 

With Gascoigne, didn’t think he fulfilled his potential after getting that injury in the FA cup final and not establishing himself in Serie A which was the best league in Europe at the time. He came back to UK and coasted at Rangers without making any impact in the Champions League. Does anybody outside of England think Gascoigne is world class?

I remember Xavi and Iniesta saying that Scholes was the player they regarded as setting the standard for midfielders at the time.

5 hours ago, Mox said:

There is this myth that surrounds Scholes, he was a good midfielder, nothing more than that. 

Good? Anyone who thinks Scholes was only good must be at it. He was much much better than any other English player Ive ever seen, you could debate world class either way, but he wasnt just good.

2 hours ago, kumnio said:

Good? Anyone who thinks Scholes was only good must be at it. He was much much better than any other English player Ive ever seen, you could debate world class either way, but he wasnt just good.

Never fucking world class as long as I've got hole up my arse.

Great player, industrial and one that we need right now but never world class (in my honest fucking opinion).

For me, midfield wise, Gazza is the best by far. Million miles. I've enjoyed the journey with my little lad (including today's dead rubber) but there's not much class in our side. 

Scholes wasn't world class?! 😂

I didn't even think it would even be up for debate. A waste of time to even attempt to convince someone he was when they cone out with such a ridiculous judgement such as that. An absolute pleasure to have seen him live. 

I suppose Zidane , Guardiola, Xavi etc etc are all wrong and talking shite. 😂

On 7/12/2018 at 10:28 AM, macy37 said:

Let’s sum up their “brilliant” World Cup then....didn’t need to play Brazil, Germany, France, Portugal, Italy, Holland, Spain nor Argentina. They lost to a country with a population of 4m folk and 11m folk and narrowly defeated Tunisia, scraped past Colombia on penalties and narrowly defeated an extremely poor Sweden side. 

Brilliant?? Bottle crashed big time.

Their campaign brought a lot of happiness to a lot of people but some of the subsequent assessments of the strength of the England team are laughable. That's the closest any team will ever get to a bye to the semi finals, and the avalanche of anti-Scottish social media posts after every game went way beyond banter.

England have done well. Great achievement. First British side to tally up 3 defeats at a finals. 

On 7/12/2018 at 10:08 AM, Duncan Blackheart said:

To respond to the holiganism point, all their ‘top boys’ and other parts of the “significant minority” that follow them completely bottled going to Russia after they deservedly got what for in France. Ironic, really, given that Putin has clearly got the word out that their hooligans have to behave. 

Am looking forward to the final. A chance for revenge for Croatia after that French lad (Lauren Blanc??) took a dive to get a Croatian red-carded in the ‘98 semi-final.

It was the other way round. Cheating twat Bilic took a dive and got Blanc sent off which meant that Blanc (the captain) missed the final and lifting the WC in his homeland.