Russia 2018 - Page 75 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I've really enjoyed this World Cup and I'm sad that it's almost over. Four years seems so long to wait for the next one. At least there's the Euro's in 2020. I was just reading the plans regarding the stadiums for Euro 2020. Am I understanding it correctly that if both Scotland and England qualify, we automatically get put into the same group, because of how the stadiums are paired? There would then be a draw to determine whether the group match between Scotland and England was played at Hampden or Wembley. I knew that they were taking the tournament to various host cities, but I hadn't looked at it until just now, so I didn't realise about the venue pairing thing. Apparently the pairings were decided in a draw at the end of 2017. We'd both go into Group D and group winners would then go to Copenhagen (last 16) and St Petersburg (QF), while 2nd place would go to Dublin (last 16) and then Rome (QF). SF's and Final are at Wembley. On that basis I reckon not qualifying for Euro 2020 would be even worse than normal. Here's hoping we get our usual draw of Lapland and Narnia in the qualifiers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020

11 minutes ago, George Saint said:

I've really enjoyed this World Cup and I'm sad that it's almost over. Four years seems so long to wait for the next one. At least there's the Euro's in 2020. I was just reading the plans regarding the stadiums for Euro 2020. Am I understanding it correctly that if both Scotland and England qualify, we automatically get put into the same group, because of how the stadiums are paired? There would then be a draw to determine whether the group match between Scotland and England was played at Hampden or Wembley. I knew that they were taking the tournament to various host cities, but I hadn't looked at it until just now, so I didn't realise about the venue pairing thing. Apparently the pairings were decided in a draw at the end of 2017. We'd both go into Group D and group winners would then go to Copenhagen (last 16) and St Petersburg (QF), while 2nd place would go to Dublin (last 16) and then Rome (QF). SF's and Final are at Wembley. On that basis I reckon not qualifying for Euro 2020 would be even worse than normal. Here's hoping we get our usual draw of Lapland and Narnia in the qualifiers.

It’s a complete and utter clusterfuck of a situation, from pricing, the nations league to potentially having to travel the length and breadth of the continent if you actually make the finals

Im becoming more and more disillusioned with the whole concept of international fitba’ with the way they are fucking it about every which way but loose

They obviously think we are made of money and can take days of work willy-nilly just to suit the cunts that sit in the house with no intention of ever going to game in real life

1 hour ago, George Saint said:

I've really enjoyed this World Cup and I'm sad that it's almost over. Four years seems so long to wait for the next one.

Four years? Four fukin years? Rub it in, why don't you. We've been waiting 20 years and probably need to wait another 20 before we are in another one.;)

Yes you are understanding it correctly. On top of that, whoever gets given the England v Scotland (you lot will obviously get that) will have 3 home games. 

We will probably get drawn in the same qualifying group as well, just to make it even more ludicrous.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Four years? Four fukin years? Rub it in, why don't you. We've been waiting 20 years and probably need to wait another 20 before we are in another one.;)

4 and a half technically 😛 Qatar's being played in November-December

3 hours ago, George Saint said:

Melchester Rovers, me and my Mum.

20 hours ago, euan2020 said:

I might be wrong - but i think was a dumped car, which was laying there

might be wrong & was just delapidated - & was being used

either/or - still should not been jumping on it - remember seeing the car like 

The difference is that was isolated incident, whereas the English fans consistently cause trouble when there is a big game on, win or lose. Something about them always wanting to antagonise. V weird and uptight behaviour

On 7/12/2018 at 12:04 AM, George Saint said:

Croatia took their chances and we didn't. That's the difference for me. We're lacking that bit of quality when it's really needed. We played well in the first half, but we didn't capitalise when we were on top. Croatia came back into the game and showed their quality. I think they fully deserved their victory. They had two or three other great opportunities that could easily have put us away earlier. As I said previously, I never bought into the hype about this England team. I didn't feel they'd done anything to deserve all the adulation. Don't get me wrong, we'd played ok and I felt there was some promise, but talk of them being heroes when they'd scraped through against Columbia and beaten a Sweden team that aren't exactly top draw, was just ridiculous. Defensively I really liked how we tried to play out from the back. It terrifies me at times, but I like to see us playing that way and I think with Stones and Maguire we've got the players to do it. If only we could find an Iniesta (in his prime), Pirlo or Modric type player. I guess everyone wishes for that though.

England World Cup Rating: 7/10 - Good effort and some promise, but lacking the quality needed at the highest level. Bring on the Euros. Our youth teams have started to win things, so I'm very positive about the future. Fine margins, as always. Was a fun few weeks though. 

Fair assessment missing only one thing. You have no international class central midfielders. 

That's the fine margin that will lose you game after game. If you had a Modric or Pogba even, you might have a better chance. 

Not sure if theres any youngsters that fit this bill coming through but it's what I'd try and find, if I was Gareth Southgate. 

14 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Fair assessment missing only one thing. You have no international class central midfielders. 

That's the fine margin that will lose you game after game. If you had a Modric or Pogba even, you might have a better chance. 

Not sure if theres any youngsters that fit this bill coming through but it's what I'd try and find, if I was Gareth Southgate. 

Phil Foden at Man City is one player that is highly thought of. He's only 18 though, so realistically you're probably talking another couple of tournaments before he's likely to be ready. I wouldn't want to heap too many expectations on the boy, either. Just let him continue to learn and hopefully progress under Guardiola. Maybe Jack Wilshere can still come good. I really rate him as a player and I think he could be the closest thing we have right now to a Modric type of player. Time isn't on his side though. He really needs to make the most of the next couple of years and hopefully stay injury free. I know he's not the same sort of player, but I also think that Oxlade-Chamberlain could offer something in an attacking midfield role.

11 minutes ago, George Saint said:

Nah, you'll be good for 2026, if not before then. It's going to be 48 teams.

Only 3 more from Europe tho, realistically hosting is probably the only way we'll ever be involved in another world cup. Nowhere near good enough unfortunately

43 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

They had 3 world class midfielders for a number of years who could only reach the quarter finals at best 

I rated Gerrard and Lampard, but in my opinion neither of them were in the same class as the likes of Pirlo, Iniesta, and even Modric. Gerrard was great for the hustle and bustle of the EPL, but I don't think he or Lampard were technically good enough to play the role that we needed both then and now. Scholes was the one that we did have who was closest to being able to fulfill that role, but we messed him about on the left wing at Euro 2004 and he packed it in much earlier than he might otherwise have done. I think England have had some very good players over the years, but I think sometimes people (especially again in the media) forget how good some players are that other countries have. Just because we don't see them playing in our league every week, there's a tendency from some people to overlook them. Pirlo was an absolutely amazing player. Even well into his 30's he destroyed us at Euro 2012 and again at WC 2014. He didn't do it by being young and fit and running around everywhere - he did it because his control of the football was brilliant. His touch was amazing, he could play with both feet, he had great balance and he kept things simple most of the time (unlike some players who go for the Hollywood long pass all the time, only to see it regularly cut out before it gets to anyone). We couldn't get near Pirlo in 2012 or even in 2014. Again, it's not a criticism of Lampard or Gerrard - they were both excellent players -  but I never saw them control a game in the way that Pirlo could and did. That's what we're up against.

1 hour ago, DoonTheSlope said:

They had 3 world class midfielders for a number of years who could only reach the quarter finals at best 

Who? The last World class midfielder England had was Gazza and he was in the team that made the semi in 90.

And the opposition was far better then too. 

Phil Foden at Man City is one player that is highly thought of. He's only 18 though, so realistically you're probably talking another couple of tournaments before he's likely to be ready. I wouldn't want to heap too many expectations on the boy, either. Just let him continue to learn and hopefully progress under Guardiola. Maybe Jack Wilshere can still come good. I really rate him as a player and I think he could be the closest thing we have right now to a Modric type of player. Time isn't on his side though. He really needs to make the most of the next couple of years and hopefully stay injury free. I know he's not the same sort of player, but I also think that Oxlade-Chamberlain could offer something in an attacking midfield role.

Don't know Foden but will keep an ear out for him in the future. 

Wiltshere is a busted flush. He's never going to be what his potential promised now. 

He's also never going to be fit until he learns to look after himself both on and off the pitch. 

The Ox is OK but nowhere near international class. 

I rated Gerrard and Lampard, but in my opinion neither of them were in the same class as the likes of Pirlo, Iniesta, and even Modric. Gerrard was great for the hustle and bustle of the EPL, but I don't think he or Lampard were technically good enough to play the role that we needed both then and now. Scholes was the one that we did have who was closest to being able to fulfill that role, but we messed him about on the left wing at Euro 2004 and he packed it in much earlier than he might otherwise have done. I think England have had some very good players over the years, but I think sometimes people (especially again in the media) forget how good some players are that other countries have. Just because we don't see them playing in our league every week, there's a tendency from some people to overlook them. Pirlo was an absolutely amazing player. Even well into his 30's he destroyed us at Euro 2012 and again at WC 2014. He didn't do it by being young and fit and running around everywhere - he did it because his control of the football was brilliant. His touch was amazing, he could play with both feet, he had great balance and he kept things simple most of the time (unlike some players who go for the Hollywood long pass all the time, only to see it regularly cut out before it gets to anyone). We couldn't get near Pirlo in 2012 or even in 2014. Again, it's not a criticism of Lampard or Gerrard - they were both excellent players -  but I never saw them control a game in the way that Pirlo could and did. That's what we're up against.

England wasted their two most talented players either not playing them or playing them out of position.

Matt Le Tissier being one, the worst being Paul Scholes, who was the best England midfielder by a mile but (speculation here) as he was quiet it was easier to put him on the left as Lampard and Gerrard would moan.

54 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Who? The last World class midfielder England had was Gazza and he was in the team that made the semi in 90.

And the opposition was far better then too. 

Paul Scholes was their last World class midfielder.

2004/06 was their chance to do something IMO.  Those were among the best teams they've ever sent to tournaments but again only got as far as the quarters which was probably the limit for even those teams.  Why some of them are chugging themselves into a frenzy over the present mob is beyond me.  I've even seen Alli being called "the best young player in the world" FFS!  Truly fkin delusional.

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

Paul Scholes was their last World class midfielder.

Spot on, he was miles ahead of cunto Gerard or smash the ball and hope for a deflection Lampard.

Scholes was never used correctly by England, thankfully. The obsession they had with trying to squeeze the big names in ruined their midfield.

6 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Spot on, he was miles ahead of cunto Gerard or smash the ball and hope for a deflection Lampard.

Scholes was never used correctly by England, thankfully. The obsession they had with trying to squeeze the big names in ruined their midfield.

Unfortunately he was once at Hampden :(

4 hours ago, George Saint said:

You dont need to convince anyone on here how good Pirlo was 🙁

I find you very honest and pragmatic .Its a pity fans like you dont dictate the media outlets, England would get more support up here if you did.