Russia 2018 - Page 72 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

On the one hand, there does seem to be a lot of promise in a youthful squad - technically looked strong although there is a danger they're developing a generation of rigid, one dimensional players - need genuine flair and creativity.

On the other, surely no team will ever have a major championship open up for a team like it just has for England. Over achieved by a round or two. 

34 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Breathing a sigh of relief but have to admire how far they’ve come and their manager. Just watching the team applauding the support and some of them were sitting down, understandably feeling shattered, but Gareth walked round pulled them to their feet and then walked over to Croatian manager to offer his congratulations. He seems to be not only a good manager but a decent person too and managed to make England a Team for the first time in years. 

France to win. 

his comments on racism when the press tried to get him to slag off Russia were excellent, something along the lines of English football still not being perfect so best not to throw stones (not john)

England are a Quarter-Final team at best and with the standard of decline compared to squads in years gone by it is now 50 - 50 in matches against the mid-tier international side. I aint worried about an England team that is getting better, they've got worst but they got a very fortunate run.

Italy have a real good squad emerging which is ironic considering they didn't qualify, Netherlands will get their act together again i'm sure. Then Germany and the Argies will come good again. England have benefitted from these teams declining.

Credit to them and Southgate however for a great achievement and creating a coherent, solid style of play, even if it was anti-football. A Semi-Final in a World Cup is brilliant. It was always however going to be the same old story of first decent side to play them would beat them, that really should've been Colombia but some reason they were more interested in wrestling them for the first 70 mins.

Thank you Croatia and good luck!

For a team as one dimensional as theirs to get to a semi final is a great achievement, but it will be there last for some time. Very physical, all about bringing teams down to their level, lots of long balls and very little creativity from open play.

They've done well to get there but the English press will have you believe they've reinvented the wheel when in fact it would be a travesty if a team playing as basic football as theirs got to a final. 

Let's hope Croatia do the business on Sunday.

I'm disappointed about that, I thought if we'd nicked any of the first half chances/half-chances we'd have gone on to win, but Croatia was my 'dark horse' forecast from the off so at least I can bask in my pseudo-knowledge & pretend I foresaw it all. I suspect it will be a good many years before I see England anywhere near the final again but it was good while it lasted.

I'm looking forward to Saturday's game now anyway far more than, in truth, I looked forward to that one. Accrington away is always a decent pre-season friendly with a few good pubs around the town, so all will be well again.

I think, when we look back on this World Cup, the thing that will stick in our craw is how popular the ordinary England fans have been in Russia. We were all looking for stories of England fans trashing the place, or chasing Swedish girls (we need to save them!) but the England fans, the ordinary decent ones, seem to have made the Cold War a damp squib, and even had locals supporting them.

This is worrying; I can handle a successful England football squad....(errgghh!)

but surely they can't also have popular fans....:(

Can anyone google the news to see if England fans have caused any trouble?

Because if their is no news on that front....then the bastards may have lost the football, but then they have won the really important thing, which is, how much does everyone love us?

11 minutes ago, philip_OATN said:

I think, when we look back on this World Cup, the thing that will stick in our craw is how popular the ordinary England fans have been in Russia. We were all looking for stories of England fans trashing the place, or chasing Swedish girls (we need to save them!) but the England fans, the ordinary decent ones, seem to have made the Cold War a damp squib, and even had locals supporting them.

This is worrying; I can handle a successful England football squad....(errgghh!)

but surely they can't also have popular fans....:(

Can anyone google the news to see if England fans have caused any trouble?

Because if their is no news on that front....then the bastards may have lost the football, but then they have won the really important thing, which is, how much does everyone love us?

Although I think the vast majority of England’s regular support are genuinely decent people, I can’t really envisage a time when they will be seen as ‘lovable’. There’s just a few too many numpties on the periphery that will come out of the woodwork every so often. I’m completely club over country but it’s that element & the rubbish that they bring that have stopped me ever really getting into wanting to watch England other than from my armchair. 

Modric fair got tore into the English media in his interview

Said they had been reading all the guff in the lead up to the match and that the journalists and pundits should be more humble and show a bit more respect

And it has started to kick off

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/987545/world-cup-2018-england-london-violence-croatia-semi-final-russia-defeat

Edited by Ally Bongo

5 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Modric fair got tore into the English media in his interview

Said they had been reading all the guff in the lead up to the match and that the journalists and pundits should be more humble and show a bit more respect

Modric should probably stick to playing football, expecting journalists and and pundits to be respectful and humble is a bit of an ask.

7 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Although I think the vast majority of England’s regular support are genuinely decent people, I can’t really envisage a time when they will be seen as ‘lovable’. There’s just a few too many numpties on the periphery that will come out of the woodwork every so often. I’m completely club over country but it’s that element & the rubbish that they bring that have stopped me ever really getting into wanting to watch England other than from my armchair. 

I've heard that before from decent England fans.

Incidently, it wasn't until yesterday I saw the IKEA footage...

I'd been told by an English colleague it was hilarious.

No, it was appalling.

What got me was there appeared to be a couple of Asian lassies working on the entrance, who must've been terrified when a bunch of pissed up aggressive white males stormed in.

What would these twats have done in IKEA if Sweden had actually won?!

Then there's the bus, ambulance and taxi footage.

At a time when they should be expressing happiness and joy, they express aggression.

What the f*ck is wrong with them?

9 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

I've heard that before from decent England fans.

Incidently, it wasn't until yesterday I saw the IKEA footage...

I'd been told by an English colleague it was hilarious.

No, it was appalling.

What got me was there appeared to be a couple of Asian lassies working on the entrance, who must've been terrified when a bunch of pissed up aggressive white males stormed in.

What would these twats have done in IKEA if Sweden had actually won?!

Then there's the bus, ambulance and taxi footage.

At a time when they should be expressing happiness and joy, they express aggression.

What the f*ck is wrong with them?

Drink? Oh and this sort of man-child generation that seems to abound. Men (mainly) that have all the physical and social attributes of adults but the mental capabilities of 10 year olds.

Edited by Eisegerwind
Additional info.