Russia 2018 - Page 71 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

15 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Breathing a sigh of relief but have to admire how far they’ve come and their manager. Just watching the team applauding the support and some of them were sitting down, understandably feeling shattered, but Gareth walked round pulled them to their feet and then walked over to Croatian manager to offer his congratulations. He seems to be not only a good manager but a decent person too and managed to make England a Team for the first time in years. 

France to win. 

Totally agree.

Croatia took their chances and we didn't. That's the difference for me. We're lacking that bit of quality when it's really needed. We played well in the first half, but we didn't capitalise when we were on top. Croatia came back into the game and showed their quality. I think they fully deserved their victory. They had two or three other great opportunities that could easily have put us away earlier. As I said previously, I never bought into the hype about this England team. I didn't feel they'd done anything to deserve all the adulation. Don't get me wrong, we'd played ok and I felt there was some promise, but talk of them being heroes when they'd scraped through against Columbia and beaten a Sweden team that aren't exactly top draw, was just ridiculous. Defensively I really liked how we tried to play out from the back. It terrifies me at times, but I like to see us playing that way and I think with Stones and Maguire we've got the players to do it. If only we could find an Iniesta (in his prime), Pirlo or Modric type player. I guess everyone wishes for that though.

England World Cup Rating: 7/10 - Good effort and some promise, but lacking the quality needed at the highest level. Bring on the Euros. Our youth teams have started to win things, so I'm very positive about the future. Fine margins, as always. Was a fun few weeks though. 

1 minute ago, George Saint said:

Croatia took their chances and we didn't. That's the difference for me. We're lacking that bit of quality when it's really needed. We played well in the first half, but we didn't capitalise when we were on top. Croatia came back into the game and showed their quality. I think they fully deserved their victory. They had two or three other great opportunities that could easily have put us away earlier. As I said previously, I never bought into the hype about this England team. I didn't feel they'd done anything to deserve all the adulation. Don't get me wrong, we'd played ok and I felt there was some promise, but talk of them being heroes when they'd scraped through against Columbia and beaten a Sweden team that aren't exactly top draw, was just ridiculous. Defensively I really liked how we tried to play out from the back. It terrifies me at times, but I like to see us playing that way and I think with Stones and Maguire we've got the players to do it. If only we could find an Iniesta (in his prime), Pirlo or Modric type player. I guess everyone wishes for that though.

England World Cup Rating: 7/10 - Good effort and some promise, but lacking the quality needed at the highest level. Bring on the Euros. Our youth teams have started to win things, so I'm very positive about the future. Fine margins, as always. Was a fun few weeks though. 

Good honest assessment 🖒. A fit Jack Wilshire who hadn't been on the treatment table for years might have made a difference. 

As you say, your future looks bright, assuming the youngsters get game time in the top half of the Premier league. 

8 minutes ago, George Saint said:

Wouldn't disagree with much of that. For me the key is Gareth Southgate he has got the players playing as a team whereas more talented England squads have played as mavericks with a lack of team ethic. He deserves great credit for that. A much better run than England expected. 

23 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Breathing a sigh of relief but have to admire how far they’ve come and their manager. Just watching the team applauding the support and some of them were sitting down, understandably feeling shattered, but Gareth walked round pulled them to their feet and then walked over to Croatian manager to offer his congratulations. He seems to be not only a good manager but a decent person too and managed to make England a Team for the first time in years. 

France to win. 

I like Southgate too . He of all people will know how they are feeling. 

6 minutes ago, Dairbee said:

A fit Jack Wilshire who hadn't been on the treatment table for years might have made a difference.

I personally would have taken him just to have that option, even if off the bench. When you have a squad of 23 players, I think there is space to include someone like that. Having said that, Wilshere came on at half time against Iceland in Euro 2016, and we all know how that match ended up!