Russia 2018 - Page 61 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Wife has got Five Live on, just been told everyone waking up with a smile on their face. How about 'no'! Can't the BBC recognise that not everyone on these islands support them, that actually there's more to the British isles than England. 

I know what you mean - Five Live a no go area these days. But shouldn't this be in the 'broadcasting' thread?

No problem with the English enjoying their victory, the problem  is the broadcasters. 

2 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

What you need is a bit of contingency planning:

England's first defeat after 1966 win: Scotland

England's first defeat as Rugby world champions: Scotland.

Get it pencilled in the diary - you can always cancel after the Croatia game.

Neatly, the World Cup winners this time will win or retain the prestigious UFWC honour.   (Croatia now holds it.)   If only Scotland had beaten Peru & even just drawn with Mexico we'd be sitting pretty and not have to worry about the also-rans in Russia 🙃

https://www.ufwc.co.uk/

Och I'm not as bothered as I thought I might have been.  Southgate's a decent bloke, the majority of the team aren't like the full blown melts of previous generations and a healthy chunk of the media seem genuinely excited rather than entitled and obnoxious of previous tournaments.  My mates down there all have kids between 8-12 so this must be completely amazing for them.  If they get to the final and beat France or Belgium then hats off to them because nobody could have seen it coming.  

Only gripe would be the 'Its coming home' pish when the tournament was invented by a French bloke and they didn't play in it the first three times it was staged but even then some of the memes are a pisser.  

2 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Och I'm not as bothered as I thought I might have been.  Southgate's a decent bloke, the majority of the team aren't like the full blown melts of previous generations and a healthy chunk of the media seem genuinely excited rather than entitled and obnoxious of previous tournaments.  My mates down there all have kids between 8-12 so this must be completely amazing for them.  If they get to the final and beat France or Belgium then hats off to them because nobody could have seen it coming.  

Only gripe would be the 'Its coming home' pish when the tournament was invented by a French bloke and they didn't play in it the first three times it was staged but even then some of the memes are a pisser.  

My lad is 23 & never even really been that bothered about international football (if anything he supports Ireland as my wife’s side of the family are all from there). I don’t think I’ve seen him as excited about a non-Huddersfield game in his life as yesterday. Over & again he just kept laughing & muttering about “World Cup semi-can you believe it” & so on! 

I know there’s no shortage of morons knocking around but I can’t deny I’m starting to get a bit giddy about it myself. 

Cue usual crashing disappointment fairly soon!

England have finally translated their luck in getting Pish easy qualifying groups into getting a Pish easy draw in a tournament.

:lol:

They’ve got to a World Cup semi final and play a country that have never beaten Scotland.

15 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

My lad is 23 & never even really been that bothered about international football (if anything he supports Ireland as my wife’s side of the family are all from there). I don’t think I’ve seen him as excited about a non-Huddersfield game in his life as yesterday. Over & again he just kept laughing & muttering about “World Cup semi-can you believe it” & so on! 

I know there’s no shortage of morons knocking around but I can’t deny I’m starting to get a bit giddy about it myself. 

Cue usual crashing disappointment fairly soon!

One thing I like about Southgate is he does something no England manager has done in a long time - play to your strengths rather than worrying about everyone else.  If you're good at set pieces get the fucking thing in the mixer and make them deal with it.  

Being semi-neutral I think if your record ended 3 wins, a draw and three defeats it wouldn't be an unfair reflection as can't say you've been particularly great but then you haven't needed to be. On the other hand can't see Croatia beating you and the two best teams left in it could be a proper ding-dong that takes it out of them for the final.  Whatever happens enjoy this week as must be an amazing experience.

Edited by ThistleWhistle

46 minutes ago, Get it up yeeeeeeee said:

Ha ha ha ha  all the bitters. Can only beat who is put in front of you. All the other 'great' teams, Germany, Italy, Holland, Spain, Argie bastards, all gone so clearly well and truly over fucking rated..........get it fucking up yeeeee scooooootland .  Talking of only beating who is in front of you, hope you didnt get too upset and batter the wife again last night you alci bastards

Think you need a Kimba counselling session. Have a lovely day and hope you have a great time with your teams current success.

48 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Think you need a Kimba counselling session. Have a lovely day and hope you have a great time with your teams current success.

Its a wind up. First post I was not certain. Second post confirmed it. 

Extreme Uncle Toms Stephen Daisley and Fraser Nelson have gone into great detail apologising for other Scots not supporting England

I wont post it but it is some read - and it brings into question whether or not it really is unacceptable to use the word quisling

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Gtf wi yer sensible posts. I prefer the bizarre ones 🙂

I do agree on Southgate though. 

11 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Extreme Uncle Toms Stephen Daisley and Fraser Nelson have gone into great detail apologising for other Scots not supporting England

I wont post it but it is some read - and it brings into question whether or not it really is unacceptable to use the word quisling

The usual nonsense from non-football people. I have to admit it annoys and amuses me in equal measure, the amount of folk who jump on the football bandwagon once every year or two for a big game or tournament, and try to have conversations about the 'footy'. They genuinely don't get that people like me (and you lot) live and breathe the game obsessively (some of us to a dangerously unhealthy extreme 😎) on a daily basis 😂. Explaining the whole football rivalry thing as not being 'anti-English' does get really tedious but there is certainly some fun to be had by subtly establishing with them that they know fuck all about football, despite watching the BBC coverage 🤨

7 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

The usual nonsense from non-football people. I have to admit it annoys and amuses me in equal measure, the amount of folk who jump on the football bandwagon once every year or two for a big game or tournament, and try to have conversations about the 'footy'. They genuinely don't get that people like me (and you lot) live and breathe the game obsessively (some of us to a dangerously unhealthy extreme 😎) on a daily basis 😂. Explaining the whole football rivalry thing as not being 'anti-English' does get really tedious but there is certainly some fun to be had by subtly establishing with them that they know fuck all about football, despite watching the BBC coverage 🤨

More likely 'because of' the BBC coverage.

Edited by Third Lanark

Honestly, thought I was older/wiser/better even? Ah, I'm mature and can enjoy a tournament without my own nation being there, and try to treat England a bit like say Portugal, Greece, Germany as in - fair dues if you are good, but on the whole I'm not that fussed - Have never bought a Trinidad/Tobago, Paraguay top before, and never even wore the top of an opposition (that I have) they played at some point.

And I'm now in my mid 30s, but I will most likely be wearing my old Croat top on Wednesday! Needs must.  

Edited by weekevie04

5 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I'm firmly in the ABE mindset. It's just how it is. I even want the huns to win if they play against Ayrshire's wee team.

I feel the same . Scotland are my team and England our oldest rival. I accept other Scotland fans may be less bothered about England winning, but dont ask me to agree with that or ‘get over it’. There are things in life I feel pretty neutral on that others are very passionate about, its just the way life is. 

Canny wait for this tournament to finish so I can get back to cooking Mr Tdyer delicious Sunday dinners 🙄  

6 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Rivalry is good. It’s just part & parcel of who we are as football fans. My mum to this day doesn’t understand how I could support a German team over a Yorkshire team in the 1975 European Cup Final. 

It is indeed. And I'm guessing, Leeds are your biggest rivals? 

Its non-football commentators like Stephen Daisley or Fraser Nelson etc telling us all how to act/behave every four years and most likely have a passing interest in football if even that, and the 'why don't you support us' etc that really fecks me off. Like there were thousands of Man Utd, Chelsea fans cheering for Liverpool in May?  

Also, Wales got to the semi finals of the Euros 2 years ago and I don't recall mass hysteria throughout these islands for them. It was more of a ''Ah, haven't you lot done well and good luck ; but let's talk about Chelsea, Man Utd and so on's pre-season fixtures.''

It's fun, and lets remember, its a sport.

Edited by weekevie04

5 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Rivalry is good. It’s just part & parcel of who we are as football fans. My mum to this day doesn’t understand how I could support a German team over a Yorkshire team in the 1975 European Cup Final. 

👍 there is a distinct difference between rivalry and hatred, though unfortunately that line does cross over at times.