Russia 2018 - Page 57 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

17 minutes ago, jcs said:

Yeah pretty much sums it up,  it’s been a poor World Cup, the favourites all getting put out early with England cheering on the underdog every game in the hope that they scrape through n win the World Cup it’s a good achievement to win it but it’s been a disappointing World Cup no outstanding team or player , Jim hills love child top goalscorer with 3 penalties 50% of his goals 

It's been the best world cup I can remember, although England and Russia still being in it does tell it's own story.

6 minutes ago, Nobby said:

And association football was created where ? It just might be coming home 😂

I don't think anyone denies England's contribution to the game, but some find it easy to deny everyone else's contribution. 

19 minutes ago, jcs said:

Yeah pretty much sums it up,  it’s been a poor World Cup, the favourites all getting put out early with England cheering on the underdog every game in the hope that they scrape through n win the World Cup it’s a good achievement to win it but it’s been a disappointing World Cup no outstanding team or player , Jim hills love child top goalscorer with 3 penalties 50% of his goals 

Its been a brilliant world cup, loads of shocks, some great games, some excellent goals. There has been one flaw in it so far however...

20 minutes ago, exile said:

FIFA was founded in France, and the World Cup was invented by a Frenchman.

International football was first at home in Glasgow and the modern (passing) game invented by a team from Hampden Park. 

You don't need to tell me. I'm just reporting what the erse said live on TV.

It was actually made in Italy but it's not going there this time.

Lots of swedes out here in Spain gutted for them - the Morris dancers were outnumbered and particularly perturbed by the Scottish holidaymakers singing we fhekin  hate England 

France and Belgium are too good for their anti football

2 minutes ago, Brassrubber said:

Lots of swedes out here in Spain gutted for them - the Morris dancers were outnumbered and particularly perturbed by the Scottish holidaymakers singing we fhekin  hate England 

France and Belgium are too good for their anti football

England is a lot of things but I wouldn’t call it anti football

41 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Whatever happens it’s two teams I couldn’t give a fuck about in the Final. Kilts on whoever it is. 

M’on Scotland! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

🇫🇷 🇧🇪 🇭🇷 🇷🇺 🙌🏼😰

👍 good for you McTeeko. Neutral (or not ) you  will have a ball. 

32 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

You don't need to tell me. I'm just reporting what the erse said live on TV.

It was actually made in Italy but it's not going there this time.

I know I just couldn't resist pointing it out. What 'home' means depends on what criteria you use. Even if football was wholly invented in England, the World Cup definitely wasn't, so it can't go home to England.  

I am not claiming that Scotland invented football and certainly not exclusively so.

But once again, there is an asymmetry between Scotland and England and when you try to redress the balance or share the credit, it's just not accepted.

(At least by some. Some of our other posters might have said fair play old chap, but it's our day today, leave it alone. So I will...)

Edited by exile

6 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Straight onto another country’s message board to gloat, as you do 

Yes quite.

I am however delighted to learn that interesting statistic that  I have lasted 2 years more than my average countryman. Must have a swally to celebrate. 

I'm not going to lie to you, I enjoyed that! That was the first game where I felt that England looked like they could be contenders. I still don't think we'll win it, but then I never thought Hudds would get within a hundred miles of the Premier League so who knows - my football world is on its head.

As for the numpty poster - I can't really think why the first thing someone would think of would be to go & find a Scottish football forum, register, then post to get banned, so I'm calling false flag ;)

Where's Scotty when you need him?

1 minute ago, Huddersfield said:

I'm not going to lie to you, I enjoyed that! That was the first game where I felt that England looked like they could be contenders. I still don't think we'll win it, but then I never thought Hudds would get within a hundred miles of the Premier League so who knows - my football world is on its head.

As for the numpty poster - I can't really think why the first thing someone would think of would be to go & find a Scottish football forum, register, then post to get banned, so I'm calling false flag ;)

Where's Scotty when you need him?

Looking up Corinthians 17:8 to see who wins .

There is an inevitability regarding Englands relentless path to the final  and there are parallels with Andy Murrays first Wimbledon title. All the fancied opposition exit in the early rounds leaving a relatively easy path to the final - and I'm taking nothing away from England in saying that as they still had to win those games. In the Final Murray played the game of his life against Djokovic just as England will do against Belgium. Brazil I feel would have been too strong  but again a good result for England last night. Belgium to best France on Tuesday and I predict a narrow extra time win for England over Belgium and they will be Champions of the World in eight days time.

Edited by Catchart Circle