Russia 2018 - Page 52 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

7 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Sweden - average but some how manage to get through qualifiers and a playoff against Europe's top sides. They got through a 1st round which contained the holders and they just neat the team ranked 5th in the world. Not bad for average

Croatia - bottlers. Really? Based on what? No team has played brilliant in all 4 games so far but Croatia looked brilliant again Argentina and also have some great talent. Croatia is a country we jocks should look on with envy. Same population but less history yet they're in the world cup quarter finals.

Russia - arguably one of the poorest sides in it but some how their passion and drive has got them to the quarter finals.

England - just won their first penalty shoot.out in a world cup and have had an easier route to this stage than any other side. I Iinclude their qualifying group in this too. They haven't been tested whilst the others above have had some big tests.

England definitely have a chance of winning this tournament, only and idiot would argue against that however their route isn't easy just because some of the teams in it are not the traditional big guns.

Thank you for this. Should get me through the next few days.

8 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I don't even think England were that good, Colombia showed how relatively average stones and Maguire are when they went at them. A team with a decent front line will tear that defence apart.

There could only be one game when they face a decent attack and that is the final!

Not checked recently but England's record against Sweden is pretty much 50-50. 

I think the English have won 9, the Swedes 8 and 7 draws. 

And its been about 50 years since there was more than a goal in it. 

I think this might be a really tight affair and with any luck a fluke Swedish win! 

Cmon the IKEA 11! 😀 

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Not checked recently but England's record against Sweden is pretty much 50-50. 

I think the English have won 9, the Swedes 8 and 7 draws. 

And its been about 50 years since there was more than a goal in it. 

I think this might be a really tight affair and with any luck a fluke Swedish win! 

Cmon the IKEA 11! 😀 

Same here. 1-1 or 2-1 to either team.

Just now, Ally Bongo said:

Start hoping for England to lose in the semis

They are not losing to Sweden

Seen a tweet today calling for Stan Collymore to be called back into the England squad as he’s got a good record when it comes to knocking out Swedes 🤷🏼‍♂️

34 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Based on what? I'd say its 50-50 based on both teams being workmanlike at best. There's not much to pick between them on ability. 

13 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Based on what? I'd say its 50-50 based on both teams being workmanlike at best. There's not much to pick between them on ability. 

Disagree

England have better players and this game wont suit Sweden like the others they have played in

Just my opinion mind you

And John Guidetti is on their bench

England's midfield and attack

Alli (22)  Spurs

Dier (24) Spurs

Henderson (28) Liverpool

Lingard (25) Man Utd

Loftus Cheek (22) Chelsea/Palace

Kane (24) Spurs

Rashford (20) Man Utd

Sterling (23) Man City

Welbeck (27) Arsenal

Vardy (31) Leicester

Sweden's midfield and attack

Claesson (26) Krasnodar

Durmaz (29) Toulouse

Ekdal (28) Hamburg

Forsberg (26) Leipzig

Hiljemark (26) Genoa

Larsson (33) Hull City

Rohden (27) Crotone

Svensson (21) Seattle Sounders

Berg (31) Al Ain

Thelin (26) Anderlecht

Toivonen (32) Toulouse

Guidetti (26) Alaves

12 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

England's midfield and attack

Alli (22)  Spurs

Dier (24) Spurs

Henderson (28) Liverpool

Lingard (25) Man Utd

Loftus Cheek (22) Chelsea/Palace

Kane (24) Spurs

Rashford (20) Man Utd

Sterling (23) Man City

Welbeck (27) Arsenal

Vardy (31) Leicester

Sweden's midfield and attack

Claesson (26) Krasnodar

Durmaz (29) Toulouse

Ekdal (28) Hamburg

Forsberg (26) Leipzig

Hiljemark (26) Genoa

Larsson (33) Hull City

Rohden (27) Crotone

Svensson (21) Seattle Sounders

Berg (31) Al Ain

Thelin (26) Anderlecht

Toivonen (32) Toulouse

Guidetti (26) Alaves

There's only one John Guidetti, he's got hair like sp...doh !

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Disagree

England have better players and this game wont suit Sweden like the others they have played in

Just my opinion mind you

And John Guidetti is on their bench

Why wouldn't it suit Sweden? Their players are regulars in England and are always excellent team players. 

They have been solid so far, just like England and as has been said have an excellent recent record against England too. 

There'll be one goal in it and I have no idea who will win. I'd like it to be Sweden though. 😀 

I’d say man for man England probably do have more talented players, but I said the same about Switzerland (v Sweden). Sweden appear to have a good team with no obvious superstars.

To reluctantly give England credit, Gareth Southgate; unfortunately and surprisingly, seems to be playing a blinder and I’ve no doubt it was the work he’s been doing that helped them get over the psychological barrier of the penalty shoot out v Columbia.

13 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

I'd be more confident if they had a finisher - it was woeful against Switzerland. How they knocked out Italy is beyond me.

Edited by Third Lanark

10 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I’d say man for man England probably do have more talented players, but I said the same about Switzerland (v Sweden). Sweden appear to have a good team with no obvious superstars.

To reluctantly give England credit, Gareth Southgate; unfortunately and surprisingly, seems to be playing a blinder and I’ve no doubt it was the work he’s been doing that helped them get over the psychological barrier of the penalty shoot out v Columbia.

Helped by Scottish assistant Alan Russell who we should sign.

11 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Why wouldn't it suit Sweden? Their players are regulars in England and are always excellent team players. 

They have been solid so far, just like England and as has been said have an excellent recent record against England too. 

There'll be one goal in it and I have no idea who will win. I'd like it to be Sweden though. 😀 

Sweden have the additional boost of Lustig being suspended.

12 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

A wee FIFA video featuring me and the laddie!

Hopefully they bunk us up with Yezenia! 😆🇲🇽

https://www.facebook.com/555886747/posts/10155855020246748/

Very jealous of your trip to the final mate.

One thing I would say is that if the Nigel's gee there the last place on earth I would like to be would be in that stadium!

19 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Very jealous of your trip to the final mate.

One thing I would say is that if the Nigel's gee there the last place on earth I would like to be would be in that stadium!

Yup, completely dreading that scenario. Both of us will be wearing kilts with maybe the tops of the two teams competing - that plan will go right oot the window if England are there! 😩