Russia 2018 - Page 50 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 minute ago, Hertsscot said:

Sinking into gloom here, can't see Sweden or Russia/ Croatia being good enough to stop England. I'm seriously beginning to worry they might win it.

All three of those teams will nail them if they turn up on the day.

Rakitic, Perisic and Modric v Henderson, Sterling and Alli? 

31 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I disagree

Maybe compared to the likes of France and a full strength Belgium perhaps

However look back to the 2-2 game at Hampden - they were so far ahead of us it was unreal

Maybe not as far ahead as they were at Celtic Park in the friendly but they didnt really need to win

Kane and Vardy are very good at EPL level which is a high standard as it is but if they had a real top quality star finisher, or even someone that can be a foil to Kane, to match their play they would be right up there

Relying on Kane could be their downfall and tonight was clear evidence of that

They were, but that's mibee more indicative of us regressing as a footballing nation (from when we last played them in a competitive game) than England getting better.

I think they had better players 10 - 15 years ago than they do now but this England side looks more of a team; solid and hard to beat.

3 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I think they had better players 10 - 15 years ago than they do now but this England side looks more of a team; solid and hard to beat.

Like Belgium just now, all individuals. This England team is exactly that, a team

“Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard” Billy McCoy (my auld school team coach)

Fancy Belgium to knock out Brazil on Friday then i'll start looking for flights to North Korea mid July

Belgium France Russia and England for the semis

7 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Fancy Belgium to knock out Brazil on Friday then i'll start looking for flights to North Korea mid July

Belgium France Russia and England for the semis

Make that 2 seats it’s worse for me doon here 

30 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Sinking into gloom here, can't see Sweden or Russia/ Croatia being good enough to stop England. I'm seriously beginning to worry they might win it.

Even if they do somehow scrape through to the final the 4 sides in the opposite half would beat them more often than not.

Tbh as limited as they are I fancy the Russians might get through to the final with their home advantage (and possibly their chemical advantage too)...

59 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

National team penalty records (min six shootouts):

• 85.7% - Germany (7)
  • 75.0% - Nigeria (8)
  • 66.7% - Egypt (6), Paraguay (6), USA (6),
  • 62.5% - South Korea (8)
  • 58.3% - Brazil (12)
  • 57.1% - Cameroon (7), Colombia (7)
  • 55.6% - Uruguay (9)
  • 53.8% - Argentina (13)
  • 50.0% - France (6), Ivory Coast (8), Japan (6), Spain (8)
  • 42.9% - Mexico (7)
  • 33.3% - Italy (9)
  • 28.6% - Netherlands (7)
  • 25.0% - England (8), Iran (8)

England are still the worst in the world at penalty shootouts... just the law of averages that they won one eventually.

Tsk, tsk Clyde.   You of all people should know that England (& Iran) are just not normal    🤓

2n9zzmu.png

England couldnt have got an easier quarter final

The game against the Swedes and their style of play will suit them more than any other

And i think Croatia look better than they are and it's based on the Argentina game which they got tactically spot on

4 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Tsk, tsk Clyde.   You of all people should know that England (& Iran) are just not normal    🤓

2n9zzmu.png

Ah yes, but if England's average is 25% - they have to win on average one in four no matter how abnormally poor they are at penalties. The law of averages will eventually even out at around 25%.

Just expect them to lose three of their next four (at least). 😉

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Did you actually post anything for the shoot out? Are you to blame?

Sorry big issues (not good) of my own to deal with. 

Fair does over the whole match I would say England deserved it due to the indiscipline of Colombia and the under-handed tactics they went with instead of sticking to playing football. 

As for the matches ahead I have not been impressed by Sweden. They look like a defensive side and lack cutting edge in attack. I can see England sneaking it 1-0.

As for a semi I am not too sure which would be a tougher match? Russia with a partisan crowd behind them or Croatia who have the better side? I think Croatia would be the stiffer test. They have a lot of quality in their side but sometimes that old mentality of ultra-defensive kicks in with them and they look far worse for it. Do that and England can win. 

If England get to the final they will face either Brazil, France, Uruguay or Belgium. Add to that the fact this is a young and inexperienced England side who have conceded in every match of the tournament so far and I would say that would be a bridge too far. 

Edited by Caledonian Craig

A lot of slating of Colombia going on here and rightly so but England had their moments, Ali and lingaard both want down more than once at the slightest touch. Stones was a lucky boy, even that idiot hoddle agreed. If neymar had gone down like Henderson did after that "headbutt" the English media would have slaughtered neyamr for it.

Listening to pundits and commentary for England matches is like watching a match on Celtic or rangers tv, they see things that aren't actually happening. It's comedy gold.

I don't even think England were that good, Colombia showed how relatively average stones and Maguire are when they went at them. A team with a decent front line will tear that defence apart.