Russia 2018 - Page 49 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 minute ago, exile said:

Somehow this seems a more mediocre England team than usual but is somehow grinding out results, and slipping through, somehow going further than Germany Spain Argentina Portugal Italy Netherlands... most of the usual quarter final fodder

In 98 they lost to Argentina who lost to Holland who lost to Brazil who lost to France

The draw has just wonderfully opened up for them, now they've won a shoot out too!

1 minute ago, exile said:

Somehow this seems a more mediocre England team than usual but is somehow grinding out results, and slipping through, somehow going further than Germany Spain Argentina Portugal Italy Netherlands... most of the usual quarter final fodder

It is far better prepared as a team. Southgate has cut our the prima donna element that ran through their team that often played as mavericks. The talent may not be as great but they actually play as a team. However, lets look at who they have played? Only Belgium I would rate as a top quality side and they lost.

Based on the problems they caused us at times when they actually tried to play the game, I don't know why they wasted so much of the game being such a bunch of cheating gits. Truth be told they could have been down to 10 men more than once. I think the Sweden game is a 50:50  - they didn't look any great shakes but neither really do England. Regardless, I think either Russia or Croatia would do us so you haven't got too much to worry about!

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

It is far better prepared as a team. Southgate has cut our the prima donna element that ran through their team that often played as mavericks. The talent may not be as great but they actually play as a team. However, lets look at who they have played? Only Belgium I would rate as a top quality side and they lost.

Totally agree and was saying exactly the same to a couple of friends over the weekend (and before the WC to others).

Look - let's look at the facts here.

England have scored nine goals so far, four of which have been penalties, at least two of which have been rather generous.

Three of the rest have been from dead balls against Tunisia and Panama, the latter two scored by John Stones FFS.

One of the remaining two was a total fluke off Harry Kane's heel.

Which leaves the last one, which was a very decent strike by Jesse Lingard against.............Panama.

On that basis Sweden will see them off 1-0.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

They haven't got any quality sides to play

Croatia who choke

1 minute ago, Huddersfield said:

Based on the problems they caused us at times when they actually tried to play the game, I don't know why they wasted so much of the game being such a bunch of cheating gits. Truth be told they could have been down to 10 men more than once. I think the Sweden game is a 50:50  - they didn't look any great shakes but neither really do England. Regardless, I think either Russia or Croatia would do us so you haven't got too much to worry about!

Also agree with much of that but I don't rate Russia. Croatia yes but Sweden could also be a tight one.

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

Look - let's look at the facts here.

England have scored nine goals so far, four of which have been penalties, at least two of which have been rather generous.

Three of the rest have been from dead balls against Tunisia and Panama, the latter two scored by John Stones FFS.

One of the remaining two was a total fluke off Harry Kane's heel.

Which leaves the last one, which was a very decent strike by Jesse Lingard against.............Panama.

On that basis Sweden will see them off 1-0.

Yeah but look at Portugal who won the last Euros with one win in 90 mins during the whole tournament.

Sometimes it falls into place for seemingly undeserving teams (Also Greece at 2004 Euros).

11 minutes ago, exile said:

I disagree

Maybe compared to the likes of France and a full strength Belgium perhaps

However look back to the 2-2 game at Hampden - they were so far ahead of us it was unreal

Maybe not as far ahead as they were at Celtic Park in the friendly but they didnt really need to win

Kane and Vardy are very good at EPL level which is a high standard as it is but if they had a real top quality star finisher, or even someone that can be a foil to Kane, to match their play they would be right up there

Relying on Kane could be their downfall and tonight was clear evidence of that

Edited by Ally Bongo

2 minutes ago, Bino's said:

They haven't got any quality sides to play

Croatia who choke

Yes it depends on what Croatia side turns up. Petrified of losing (like Colo9mbia looked tonight) then they will lose. Play like they did in earlier matches with open attacking football and they can win. Remember England have conceded in every match so far.

1 minute ago, fringo said:

Yeah but look at Portugal who won the last Euros with one win in 90 mins during the whole tournament.

Sometimes it falls into place for seemingly undeserving teams (Also Greece at 2004 Euros).

Fair point.

But they will not get past all of Sweden, Croatia/Russia, and Belgium/Brazil/France/Uruguay with that defence.

Southgate seems the type that should be hosting the antiques roadshow but credit where its due, he's gotten all the players onside, even the potential egos like Delli Ali and they're all on the same hymn sheet at this world cup.

He's completely right to restrict the social media access for players to keep them disciplined and not let the red top press undermine him.

England were in bonus territory prior to the world cup to get to the QF's if so many big teams weren't knocked out already.  It would actually be seen as a disappointment if they go out to a solid if unspectacular Sweden team in comparison with France/Germany etc etc 

1 minute ago, Ormond said:

Are England Ally Bongo’s second team? Going by the hard-on he seems to have for them the last few pages. 😏

Yes ...

£10 on England to win it at 16/1

£10 on Kane top goalscorer at 16/1

£5 free bet every time either happens

Originally put on to make it more palatable when i was in Benidorm the first week

Today was the first time i thought maybe its now best they exit the tournament

However my bets have made me relatively neutral and as such could watch the game objectively

Colombia were a joke - they were so much 2nd best for most of the game they had to reduce themselves to extreme twatto behaviour

Justice was done but i'll be supporting Sweden who i doubt will repeat those kind of tactics

21 minutes ago, exile said:

Eerily it reminds me of Greece in the euros when they scraped through 1-0 or draws and penalties...please no.

8 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Fair point.

But they will not get past all of Sweden, Croatia/Russia, and Belgium/Brazil/France/Uruguay with that defence.

Unlikely but .............................. :barf:

2 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Yes ...

£10 on England to win it at 16/1

£10 on Kane top goalscorer at 16/1

£5 free bet every time either happens

Originally put on to make it more palatable when i was in Benidorm the first week

Today was the first time i thought maybe its now best they exit the tournament

However my bets have made me relatively neutral and as such could watch the game objectively

Colombia were a joke - they were so much 2nd best for most of the game they had to reduce themselves to extreme twatto behaviour

Justice was done but i'll be supporting Sweden who i doubt will repeat those kind of tactics

Bought and sold for English gold. How very noble.... 😋

National team penalty records (min six shootouts):

• 85.7% - Germany (7)
  • 75.0% - Nigeria (8)
  • 66.7% - Egypt (6), Paraguay (6), USA (6),
  • 62.5% - South Korea (8)
  • 58.3% - Brazil (12)
  • 57.1% - Cameroon (7), Colombia (7)
  • 55.6% - Uruguay (9)
  • 53.8% - Argentina (13)
  • 50.0% - France (6), Ivory Coast (8), Japan (6), Spain (8)
  • 42.9% - Mexico (7)
  • 33.3% - Italy (9)
  • 28.6% - Netherlands (7)
  • 25.0% - England (8), Iran (8)

England are still the worst in the world at penalty shootouts... just the law of averages that they won one eventually.