Russia 2018 - Page 42 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

19 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

It really doesn’t take much for the england hype to gather momentum.

Scrapped last Tunisia, beat a woeful panama and lost to Belgium.

Are we missing something?

I think they (the media at least) are massively under estimating Colombia, and are playing the flags rather than the current teams. (Germany and Argentina were brutal, but they see them as bigger therefor better than Columbia, Switzerland and Croatia based on anecdotal notions of who is good at football)

In part that may be down to a lot of the people offering opinions not really being sport/football people. Like that “good evening Britain” nonsense they had on the other night.

Edited by sbcmfc

4 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I think they (the media at least) are massively under estimating Colombia, and are playing the flags rather than the current teams. (Germany and Argentina were brutal, but they see them as bigger therefor better than Columbia, Switzerland and Croatia based on anecdotal notions of who is good at football)

In part that may be down to a lot of the people offering opinions not really being sport/football people. Like that “good evening Britain” nonsense they had on the other night.

Even my mate is trying to argue that Southgate is a different breed of England manager because he didn’t pick Rooney and Harte and think they’ll easily beat Colombia. 

5 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Even my mate is trying to argue that Southgate is a different breed of England manager because he didn’t pick Rooney and Harte and think they’ll easily beat Colombia. 

He's in a minority then because no one I know thinks tonight is a shoo-in for England. We have a young team that's made the last 16 of the world cup and we have a good chance to progress and nothing more. although I will add if we do actually win tonight you might want to switch off the tv and lock yourselves away until we get beat in the 1/4trs 😉

4 minutes ago, Nobby said:

He's in a minority then because no one I know thinks tonight is a shoo-in for England. We have a young team that's made the last 16 of the world cup and we have a good chance to progress and nothing more. although I will add if we do actually win tonight you might want to switch off the tv and lock yourselves away until we get beat in the 1/4trs 😉

He’s an idiot haha. 

An England win wouldn’t surprise many of us I don’t think. 

12 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

He is, aye but that's why I mentioned Fernandinho who will likely replace him👍

Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you might want to play both of them. They might save those defensive tactics for the final, when they have to take on the mighty England.;)

45 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you might want to play both of them. They might save those defensive tactics for the final, when they have to take on the mighty England.;)

I'm hoping that it's not going to get to that stage 😓

Going on holiday the day of the WC final and the hotel will likely be full of English folk and if they win it that night the next 14 days could be unbearable 🤣

2 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

if Neymar was genuinely injured as his reaction suggested, he would need that time for treatment. The Mexican would have been sent off if he had intentionally attempted to injure him. Overall, there will be a few occasions when a team is disadvantaged due to a genuine injury to one of their players but overall I really think it will cut down on play acting and time wasting which is the majority of cases in such instances. 

I know what you're driving at, however there'll be plenty of times a challenge goes in where a booking is the result and the player on the receiving end might need treatment. To then give a man advantage to the team committing the foul is a bit mad.

19 hours ago, ibelieve!!! said:

When Neymar was dying at the side of the pitch why was play stopped?

Surely the match could’ve continued while he was “receiving treatment”.

Absolutely. Should have left him there.

He should by now have minimum 2 yellows & be banned. Faked a pen & then yesterday's megafit. An utter embarrassment to the game & so sad when pretty much rest of this world cup is fantastic.

34 minutes ago, buckielugger said:

Absolutely. Should have left him there.

He should by now have minimum 2 yellows & be banned. Faked a pen & then yesterday's megafit. An utter embarrassment to the game & so sad when pretty much rest of this world cup is fantastic.

Melodrama much? 

Was funny as fuck seeing Shearer and Ferdinand try and slag Neymar last night. Shearer even used the term "embarrassing". 

It's bit rich for someone who kicked another pro in the head to call anyone that. Then Mr "I forgot i had a drugs test because i was moving house" agreed. 

Complete lack of self-awareness on that sofa. 

1 hour ago, Tartan_McCole said:

I know what you're driving at, however there'll be plenty of times a challenge goes in where a booking is the result and the player on the receiving end might need treatment. To then give a man advantage to the team committing the foul is a bit mad.

might need treatment - when is that ever actually genuinely the case.....

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

FFS!

sun-front-page.jpg

Yeah a quick check shows them responsible for some pretty major medical breakthroughs in treatment of malaria, artificial hearts and corrective eye surgery,.but aye Shakira and coffee covers that...