Russia 2018 - Page 38 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

18 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Wasn't a big fan of Pogba but thought he was outstanding today, showed what he is capable off,

Pogba is a good player when used properly, unfortunately for him that is not at Man Utd and he's wasted there.

Good games, gutted for Messi but Argentina just not good enough at all,so loose at the back. Glad Ronaldo and the rat that is Pepe are gone

Always funny to get caught up in games and you end up taking sides and really hoping one side wins or loses - e.g. Serbia Switzerland or Japan Senegal - games that if they were qualifiers or confederations cup, you might not even bother to check the score of.

Still, I don't feel too gutted when they go out - at least they got this far - we all face the moment our world cup dream is over, just some of us sooner than others. 

Just now, irnbruman said:

Lot of people can't stand Sergio Ramos - I think he's an absolutely brilliant player. Skilful , hard as fuck dirty bastard - just what you need in a team

He’s no doubt a good player but he’s an out and out fucking cheat. 

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

Russia are at home.;)

Aye, but the cup's spent enough time there. I reckon it's down to them, France, or Croatia as my dark horse now. I'd love to see Denmark push on though as the last time any Huddersfield player had anything to do with the World Cup was 1962, so be good to see Zanka at least get a bit more game time.

Spain lacked any real urgency or cutting edge. Almost lethargic and disjointed but they still showed far more intent than Russia. You could see what Russia's plan was - to park the bus and play for penalties and sadly it worked. Spain were poor by their high standards but they were still the far better side than Russia.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Spain lacked any real urgency or cutting edge. Almost lethargic and disjointed but they still showed far more intent than Russia. You could see what Russia's plan was - to park the bus and play for penalties and sadly it worked. Spain were poor by their high standards but they were still the far better side than Russia.

In the studio, Fabregas seemed to be saying that they had all the best players as if he could not comprehend how they could be beaten. If that was the team's attitude, then it might have something to do with it. And/or the manager situation. They must have known what Russia would be likely to do. Did they vary tehir tactics at all? (I didn't see the whole game)

Just now, exile said:

In the studio, Fabregas seemed to be saying that they had all the best players as if he could not comprehend how they could be beaten. If that was the team's attitude, then it might have something to do with it. And/or the manager situation. They must have known what Russia would be likely to do. Did they vary tehir tactics at all? (I didn't see the whole game)

Changing manager two days before the tournament had to play a big part. They just lacked direction and cohesion. 

Just now, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Not buying this Russia parked the bus nonsense, it's called tactics. Spain have better players so if the Russians were to open up and have a go they would of got pumped. In dreamland and Scotland played like and won like Russia it would be seen as a fantastic result. Defending is a skill and part of the game.

This. Russia knew the only way they could beat Spain was by containing them. If you think to some of our recent games against top nations - we've played in a very similar way to how Russia did today. If we'd gone and attacked those sides, we'd've been destroyed.

My long term take on tournaments is that you have to factor in home advantage not only of the host nation but the rough climatic zone. When do we ever get to play in the rain in tournament football?  Never mind have home advantage. It's only fair that sometimes Spain have to play in the rain! I think it's not a coincidence that Sweden did well when it was in Sweden, England, Russia, etc etc. (Denmark in Sweden euro 92, etc).