Russia 2018 - Page 34 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

11 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Any chance you could take this to another thread please?

Since I'm already in the correct thread... no.

'Toepoke' is claiming that the VAR is there to 'assist' the referee, yet he/they have the power to stop the game and get the ref to come off the field and look at replays of incidents that he has already deemed 'OK'.

As already stated, I feel that the ref should be top man and not subjected to other 'refs'.

This doesn't and can't work.

'Toepoke' then condescendingly told me that "the clue" (as if I needed one) "was in the name".

I then gave other examples of how 'names/titles' aren't as obvious as he is claiming.

You then, objecting to my examples, want me to talk about this on another thread.

Really? Seriously? 

You want me to leave the thread because you don't know or understand something? lol

You get the gist of message boards, right?

(And how often have I ever requested that you change who you are or what you post?)

That's right... never.

38 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Think they got the penalty call right, looked a stonewaller as well

It clearly wasn't a penalty. Another excellent example of how a good Var operative can help the on field ref get the right decisions. 

This system works fine when decent staff work it properly. 

it was a weird game - both teams would have been happy with a win, a draw or a defeat for a range of different reasons including momentum, max points, easier later draw, easier next round draw etc. The media are promoting England "throwing the game line" because that would seem to be the simplest narrative. However Belgium rested just as many key players and seemed genuinely thrilled to have scored/won. It would have been interesting to hear team talks. 

If England go out against Colombia their approach to this game will be considered a mistake. There is every chance though that could beat Colombia then lose to say Switzerland - whereas Belgium could lose to Japan and not even face (the likelihood of) Brazil. So may permutations. Bottom line I think is that England are not good enough to determine who they have a better chance of beating......

9 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

It clearly wasn't a penalty. Another excellent example of how a good Var operative can help the on field ref get the right decisions. 

This system works fine when decent staff work it properly. 

Shows you how much I know it took a few replays before I was sure it wasn’t a penalty 

4 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

it was a weird game - both teams would have been happy with a win, a draw or a defeat for a range of different reasons including momentum, max points, easier later draw, easier next round draw etc. The media are promoting England "throwing the game line" because that would seem to be the simplest narrative. However Belgium rested just as many key players and seemed genuinely thrilled to have scored/won. It would have been interesting to hear team talks. 

If England go out against Colombia their approach to this game will be considered a mistake. There is every chance though that could beat Colombia then lose to say Switzerland - whereas Belgium could lose to Japan and not even face (the likelihood of) Brazil. So may permutations. Bottom line I think is that England are not good enough to determine who they have a better chance of beating......

Hard to know what was going on inside their heads but it’s fair to say that belgiums second side looked better than England’s. 

England have a decent chance of progressing beyond Columbia if their games against Japan and Senegal are anything to go by. 

9 hours ago, wheres the pies said:

The English should be careful what they wish for really think that Colombia will beat them 

They're a better team, with better players. It's only logical to expect Colombia to win that game. 

The only folk who wont agree with the above are ignoramuses who only watch English football (90% of the English media). 

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

They're a better team, with better players. It's only logical to expect Colombia to win that game. 

The only folk who wont agree with the above are ignoramuses who only watch English football (90% of the English media). 

Aye agree how’s your World Cup been betting wise and do you know what price Colombia are for Tuesday ?  Thinking of putting £50 on them 

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

Yeah, Colombia are a much better side than England, particularly at the top end of the pitch. That front four of Caudrado, Rodriguez, Quintero and Falcao is much better than Loftus Cheek, Sterling, Lingard and Kane.

The only hope England have is if the Rodriguez injury is bad and he doesn't make it, that could make a huge difference. I accept that Colombia haven't been amazing so far bar the Poland game but they were down to 10 men against Japan and actually done very well considering and yesterday against Senegal there was nerves but I'd expect them to disappear now they are through.

Will be sticking a wee fiver on Colombia 3-0.

The comments section on England is great entertainment. 

Not sure what to make of them so far, they’ve beaten 2 average sides, well 1 average and one woeful and then their second side looked poor against belgiums. 

Hopefully the Colombia who beat Poland turns up and puts them out. Then watch the media turn on Southgate for resting players against Belgium.

1 hour ago, Return of Yermaw said:

It was weird that they were trying to suggest that they'd possibly chucked it for the easier route when they nearly got caught on the counter a couple of times in the last 15 minutes.  They were definitely going for an equaliser for me. 

Think the major concern for them should be that the tactical genius that is Roberto Martinez exposed a couple of pretty big problem with their system. Pin their wingbacks back and there is oceans of space to play in-front of them and; they struggle to keep the ball so look long all the time.  It is a dangerous weapon to have but if they do it all the time then the opposition can just drop off.  However, Sterling is more likely to drop short so that may not be such an issue next game. 

Think they definitely risk underestimating Colombia though and their defence seems pacey enough to deal with balls over the top. 

Also, the keeper has a mistake in him that could cost them a game. 

It's not the Colombia of 4 years ago 

James is carrying an injury and Falcao is 32 

Edited by Ally Bongo

35 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

It's not the Colombia of 4 years ago 

James is carrying an injury and Falcao is 32 

Falcao wasn’t at the last World Cup.

I’d think they’d be better without James if he’s not fit.

Laughed at one of the post match comments. Gareth Southgate seems as flustered as I've ever seen him after a match. Maybe something to do with his World Cup record potentially being 2 defeats and 2 victories, one of those victories v Panama, a team I'd bet Motherwell to beat.

2 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

It was weird that they were trying to suggest that they'd possibly chucked it for the easier route when they nearly got caught on the counter a couple of times in the last 15 minutes.  They were definitely going for an equaliser for me. 

Think the major concern for them should be that the tactical genius that is Roberto Martinez exposed a couple of pretty big problem with their system. Pin their wingbacks back and there is oceans of space to play in-front of them and; they struggle to keep the ball so look long all the time.  It is a dangerous weapon to have but if they do it all the time then the opposition can just drop off.  However, Sterling is more likely to drop short so that may not be such an issue next game. 

Think they definitely risk underestimating Colombia though and their defence seems pacey enough to deal with balls over the top. 

Also, the keeper has a mistake in him that could cost them a game. 

I find Pickford comical. Not withstanding the mistakes that he has in him as you point out - in keeping in the emerging tradition of English keepers over the past 10 years or so - his over-reaction and dramatics to every shot, no matter how far wide, is truly entertaining. A career as an acrobat or stunt man awaits.....

4 hours ago, wheres the pies said:

Aye agree how’s your World Cup been betting wise and do you know what price Colombia are for Tuesday ?  Thinking of putting £50 on them 

All my bets are resting on Brazil. I had a few group acca's on but i had Russia not to qualify on every one of them unfortunately.  Yourself? 

Colombia are 14/5 to win in 90 minutes, or 6/4 to qualify. 

17 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Premiership millionaire players should be beating two of the poorest teams in the tournament. There have been no exceeded expectations.

Well we've  made the knockout stages and that was the minimum expected with a young and inexperienced squad so anything else is a bonus. Columbia will be a tough game but I believe we have a reasonable chance of progressing. If Kane is on form and takes his chances 

15 hours ago, irnbruman said:

Fixed it for you - he is the most boring fucking twat on TV - "Second Ball" "Second Ball" just fook off you deluded twat Hoddle -oops sorry got confused with Hoddle and Waddle.

All i meant was he doesn't make excuses for England as you might expect - just says things like Belgium's second eleven is much better than England's.