Russia 2018 - Page 27 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

14 hours ago, Parklife said:

Which are then used tactically at points in the game when the manager wants to break up the flow of the game, or have a word with his team.

Bad idea, IMO. 

With only 2-3 challenges per game this would be minimal. I see tennis players doing it all the time, i don't think I've seen anyone say it should be done away with in tennis?

People will always take advantage of the rules, no matter what they are. Even Mickelson was at it last week. 

I reckon VAR is here to stay and that it is a good thing. IMO has added to the excitement of the tournament so far. 

2 hours ago, saintydave said:

With only 2-3 challenges per game this would be minimal. I see tennis players doing it all the time, i don't think I've seen anyone say it should be done away with in tennis?

People will always take advantage of the rules, no matter what they are. Even Mickelson was at it last week. 

I reckon VAR is here to stay and that it is a good thing. IMO has added to the excitement of the tournament so far. 

Tennis has natural stoppages. There is no real flow, so to speak, in tennis. It's stop:start. 

24 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Tennis has natural stoppages. There is no real flow, so to speak, in tennis. It's stop:start. 

True. So does football though, not to the same extent obviously but the ball is generally in play around 65 mins per game roughly? That's a lot of stoppages. 

My point re tennis is that I've seen players challenge calls knowing they are going to lose the challenge, just to get some additional rest or compose themselve. 

13 minutes ago, saintydave said:

True. So does football though, not to the same extent obviously but the ball is generally in play around 65 mins per game roughly? That's a lot of stoppages. 

My point re tennis is that I've seen players challenge calls knowing they are going to lose the challenge, just to get some additional rest or compose themselve. 

I don’t think it’s the same though!

Can you imagine the last 10 mins of a game with a Jose Mourinho side hanging on to a lead if they have 3 challenges.

:lol:

The problem with VAR isn’t so much with the system its that it’s controlled by humans and football decisions still appear somewhat subjective, especially fouls in the box and handballs. Lack of transparency as none of us can hear what’s been said either. 

VAR should only be used when the officials think so, in the hands of players or managers isn’t a good idea. 

Another thing that is bugging the tits off me.  VAR already has players jumping about in a refs face ,pleading whilst doing that silly 'square box' gesture thing with their hands. The new equivalent of the 'diving' motion or waving an invisible card.

A large chunk of players today really are arseholes.

9 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Another thing that is bugging the tits off me.  VAR already has players jumping about in a refs face ,pleading whilst doing that silly 'square box' gesture thing with their hands. The new equivalent of the 'diving' motion or waving an invisible card.

A large chunk of players today really are arseholes.

Aye it’s horrible but almost totally predictable the way it’s been introduced, expect it to get way worse as the tournament progresses. 

2 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Aye it’s horrible but almost totally predictable the way it’s been introduced, expect it to get way worse as the tournament progresses. 

They were supposed to book players for that, as they haven’t it’s got progressively worse.

With the exception of the Portugal v Iran game VAR has been used reasonably well though.

Possibly overused to give soft penalties and think it would be better used for matters of fact or off the ball stuff ref hasn’t seen.

The best thing about VAR is the refs sitting in full kit, even down to the same colours as match ref, as you wouldn’t want w kit clash.

3 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I don’t think it’s the same though!

Can you imagine the last 10 mins of a game with a Jose Mourinho side hanging on to a lead if they have 3 challenges.

Can you imagine a game where mourinho would get that far in without using the challenges?!!

1 hour ago, Jim Beem said:

The refs should just go...

"It's a TV programme..... 2 words.....first word...."

18 hours ago, Parklife said:

They go hand in hand. A challenge system is open to abuse by parties with a vested interest. A system controlled by the officials is infinitely preferable to me. 

They can make a substitution instead. How much time is spent playing football in the 90 mins anyway?

When someone has an accident now instead of filming it on your phone you can go up to the poor bugger and make that square box sign 

Hilarious 

39 minutes ago, phart said:

They can make a substitution instead.

Under this suggestion they can do both. 3 subs and 3 VAR reviews in the final 5 minutes of a game, when a team is leading. Sounds great. 

I don't see the need to have challenges. Let the ref and the VAR do their jobs. If they do it well, there'll never be an issue. 

Just now, Orraloon said:

If Sweden and Germany both win 1-0 today, three teams will finish on 6 points each and same goals totals. It would come down to disciplinary record.

Would Germany not be ahead on head-to-head record?

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I dunno? Germany beat Sweden, Mexico beat Germany and Sweden beat Mexico.

I think both Germany and Sweden would have scored two goals in matches between the three, compared to one for Mexico - sending them out and Germany, having beaten Sweden, would be first. I may be completely wrong though.

2 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

I think both Germany and Sweden would have scored two goals in matches between the three, compared to one for Mexico - sending them out and Germany, having beaten Sweden, would be first. I may be completely wrong though.

Aye, that sound right. :ok:

Strange one with Group H. If both finish 1-0 then Mexico, Germany and Sweden will all be on 6 points, +1 goal difference, having all scored 3 and conceded 2.

Would it not go head to head from there with Sweden going out as they conceded 2 against Germany?

Nevermind - just realised you discount the result against N Korea.

Edited by Tartan_McCole