Russia 2018 - Page 25 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The VAR incidents in the Portugal game last night where pretty ridiculous. I think overall it's worked well but there is definitely a lack of transparency and the fact that the fans in the stadium and punters watching on TV have no idea what's going on is worrying.

I wonder if further down the line, it might be best to move to a challenge type set up, where a team has 3 challenges per game or something similar.

27 minutes ago, Mox said:

The VAR incidents in the Portugal game last night where pretty ridiculous. I think overall it's worked well but there is definitely a lack of transparency and the fact that the fans in the stadium and punters watching on TV have no idea what's going on is worrying.

I wonder if further down the line, it might be best to move to a challenge type set up, where a team has 3 challenges per game or something similar.

Just get rid of it.

3 hours ago, Mox said:

Which are then used tactically at points in the game when the manager wants to break up the flow of the game, or have a word with his team.

Bad idea, IMO. 

I really don't think there is any issue with VAR and it's already proven to be a worthwhle tool.

For the most part it hasn't disrupted the flow of the game and the overwhelming majority of the incidents it's been used for has resulted in the correct decision being made. The one's that are still being argued about are incidents that generally always cause controversy anyway due to the ambiguity of the laws and the fact that it's left up to a referee's interpretation.

How many times do we see pundits argue about decisions in a studio after seeing numerous replays? So now instead of arguing about a referee's decision during the game, they're arguing about it after he's watched a replay.

I think of the incidents that it has been used for I would say that the Iran penalty was incorrect and possibly the France penalty v Australia. There are far, far more incidents where it's been used to get to the correct decision and without VAR we would likely be talking about how referees and assistant referees need to allowed to use technology to get the big calls right.

I think if you are going into this expecting VAR to eliminate all errors then I think you'll be disappointed as due to the prescence of a human being in the decision process there is always the scope for human error. Personally i'm happy if it helps eliminate the majority of the errors , which during this World Cup it has allowed the referees to do.

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

Which are then used tactically at points in the game when the manager wants to break up the flow of the game, or have a word with his team.

Bad idea, IMO. 

What's more important the flow of the game or the sanctity of the result, you always have to balance those.

The biggest issue with VAR in this World Cup is not VAR itself, but that referees are still able to make appalling mistakes despite looking at replays. The standard of refereeing has to improve for any implementation of VAR to be successful.

51 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Here are the potential round of sixteen matches. 

mAnJYXm.png

Germany failing to win their group will likely see them play Brazil in the knockout round - giving them a very tough path to the final.

Are there any Scots in that GB team?;)

That game was painful. Tedious. I think var needs to be given time. Most of the var decisions have been correct and the team affected has got justice. If the ref still can't make the correct decision with var then that surely is a ref problem. 

Would like to see retrospective punishment now for acting.

3 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

Here are the potential round of sixteen matches. 

mAnJYXm.png

Germany failing to win their group will likely see them play Brazil in the knockout round - giving them a very tough path to the final.

Great Britain?

4 hours ago, phart said:

What's more important the flow of the game or the sanctity of the result, you always have to balance those.

They go hand in hand. A challenge system is open to abuse by parties with a vested interest. A system controlled by the officials is infinitely preferable to me. 

50 minutes ago, ShedTA said:

I think var needs to be given time. Most of the var decisions have been correct and the team affected has got justice. If the ref still can't make the correct decision with var then that surely is a ref problem. 

Totally agree. You always got at least a couple of World Cup games ruined by a shite referee. That'll still happen with VAR being used.