Russia 2018 - Page 24 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

12 minutes ago, exile said:

England scored a bag load of goals but so did Russia then they came up against more serious opposition 

Shhh! The more they laud their phenomenal win against a canal the sweeter it will be when they fail spectacularly against any side with a functioning midfield. 

I reckon FIFA are trying to make the game more exciting to potential new audiences with all this VAR pish, penalties and 52 minute halfs.

I'm old school and they are all corrupt wanks so bah humbug.

VAR was working ok in the main until tonight

If they want an easy solution for it there has to be a video ref connect to the ref on the park that only intervenes if it's a clear cut mis call

To stop players and officials calling for a VAR review at every hoo ha then it's made clear that if the ref has got it wrong the video ref will intervene and the play will be called back

5 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Overturning Spain's offside goal was the correct call. Haven't seen the Iran penalty yet.

I had £6 on Morocco at 8/1 and am biased ....

Until today, I thought VAR was on the whole OK, but is fast becoming a circus.

I mean players learning to play this new game and if a ref is called to look into the square thing, he knows several others have already reviewed the situation and he is now under more pressure.

Edited by Grim Jim

4 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Until today, I thought VAR was on the whole OK, but is fast becoming a circus.

I mean players learning to play this new game and if a ref is called to look into the square thing, he knows several others have already reviewed the situation and he is now under more pressure.

Has a ref gone and looked at the screen and not given the decision (if that makes sense?) any I’ve seen where he’s gone to look he’s given the penalty.

Tonights game was everything that was wrong with VAR, took too long, interfered with the game, and I’m still not sure he got the correct decisions. The Penalty he gave Iran was harsh and felt Ronaldo incident is a red or nothing...

Having just seen the handball penalty it was a shocking decision. The game had played on without even an appeal. It should never have been flagged up to the ref.

That said I've been impressed with VAR in the main, in most games it's been applied well. It's early days for the system and I guess as with real referees you're going to get good and bad video refs too.