Russia 2018 - Page 14 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

53 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

We were talking about exactly this tonight in my group - Shearer or Kane?

I think Kane. Shearer had a decent supply coming at him from Gazza, Beckham, McManaman et al. Kane has absolutely fuck all to work with from that midfield.

No disrespect intended to Shearer, but Harry Kane is a better striker working with scraps.

I've been thinking about this, this past season and would have shearer all day long. Kane is probably better at the scraps as you say but in terms of finishing shearer was absolutely lethal from almost anywhere within 30 yards. Frightening in fact. (Remind yourselves on youtube if in any doubt)one on ones, heading, holding the ball up and even crossing into the box -  a master of it all. It's actually a travesty that he's not involved in coaching at the top level cause what's also a travesty is his fking awful patter as a pundit. Easily in my top 3 of annoying pundits.

37 minutes ago, JECK said:

I've been thinking about this, this past season and would have shearer all day long. Kane is probably better at the scraps as you say but in terms of finishing shearer was absolutely lethal from almost anywhere within 30 yards. Frightening in fact. (Remind yourselves on youtube if in any doubt)one on ones, heading, holding the ball up and even crossing into the box -  a master of it all. It's actually a travesty that he's not involved in coaching at the top level cause what's also a travesty is his fking awful patter as a pundit. Easily in my top 3 of annoying pundits.

Check the records in 3/4 years he’ll be there 😘

8 hours ago, Nobby said:

Check the records in 3/4 years he’ll be there 😘

Aye I know about Kane's stats but shearer played in an era when the top defenders were far better than they are now. Guys like tony Adams, keown, sol Campbell, jaap stam, desailly, rio Ferdinand etc etc. They would pisz all over today's centre backs. Kane is more a poacher yes and shearer done a lot more selfless work also but even so In terms of finishing I'd still have shearer 

If things go as expected, and I'm sure they won't 

Group E - Brazil, Switzerland

Group F - Mexico, Germany

It would mean the winner of group G would face the winner of Brazil / Germany if they get past runner-up in H. Whereas 2nd place in Group G would play the winner of Mexico / Switzerland if they get past the winner of Group H. 

It could mean Belgium and England would both prefer to lose and finish 2nd in the group.

10 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

It's a good job the pub put on free kebabs tonight otherwise that would have been a complete waste of beer money. The casual racism from the back bar was marginally more entertaining than the football - I tried to explain that Tunisia is only slightly closer to Pakistan than we are, but it was lost on our village idiot.

aye, folks in crowds particularly when at or watching football appear to have more confidence to spout racist and sectarian remarks. I tend to find they fall into three categories:

- they are racist/bigoted at all points throughout the day and make no apologies for it; 

- they know their views are now completely unacceptable and therefore can only confidently express them through the courage of booze and the fortitude of a large crowd; 

- they don't believe what they are saying is actually racist/bigoted or it is "just a laugh"

I must add that I have little quantitate or qualitative evidence to support my assessment but stand by my conclusions.........

1 hour ago, JECK said:

Aye I know about Kane's stats but shearer played in an era when the top defenders were far better than they are now. Guys like tony Adams, keown, sol Campbell, jaap stam, desailly, rio Ferdinand etc etc. They would pisz all over today's centre backs. Kane is more a poacher yes and shearer done a lot more selfless work also but even so In terms of finishing I'd still have shearer 

The likes of Godin, Chielini  Hummels, Ramos, Azpilicueta etc are all as good as those named above, if not better.

I think when England are able to play with the high tempo they started with last night they look a very dangerous side. However, at this stage of the season and in high temperature/humidity you can't possibly hope to sustain it. When a game slows down their lack of technical ability is shown up, also their back 4, Trippier apart is absolutely honking.

The good thing about the late winner from Kane is that they will work themselves up into a frenzy over the next couple of weeks before their inevitable failure and subsequent street riots in English town centres. 👍

1 hour ago, JECK said:

Kane is starting to do it at the top level. Still remember his breakthrough season, I was at one of my sons football matches when  another dad (a man U fan, I live in Essex !!)  told me he'd never be good enough to play for Man U . I love seeing him now and ask him every time if hes good enough yet 😉 

As for Shearer or Kane that's one for a few years time, at the moment the stats are roughly neck and neck 

52 minutes ago, slasher said:

I think when England are able to play with the high tempo they started with last night they look a very dangerous side. However, at this stage of the season and in high temperature/humidity you can't possibly hope to sustain it. When a game slows down their lack of technical ability is shown up, also their back 4, Trippier apart is absolutely honking.

The good thing about the late winner from Kane is that they will work themselves up into a frenzy over the next couple of weeks before their inevitable failure and subsequent street riots in English town centres. 👍

Glad I am going to Alicante next week having Been a bit quiet doon here but has you say slasher they win one game and they go bananas  then they beat Panama and all they will talk about is reaching the final 

10 minutes ago, wheres the pies said:

Glad I am going to Alicante next week having Been a bit quiet doon here but has you say slasher they win one game and they go bananas  then they beat Panama and all they will talk about is reaching the final 

Boozers in Alicante will be just as bad!

England did well for most of the first half, missed a few chances, created quite a lot though but not quite the "World Class" from Gabby Logan or "the best team the tournament has seen so far" (21 mins in). Tunisia looked all over the place.

Seemed to be a different England side second half, like they had lost confidence and went into a shell. Tunisia grew on this and seemed quite comfortable a lot of the second half and towards the end of the game. A deserved win through overall even if the goal came very late as they did have two of the most blatant penalty claims I have seen in a long long time ignored. No idea how this VAR works if its missing things like that, twice. They were near identical to the one Manduzkic got v Nigeria on Saturday night.

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

The likes of Godin, Chielini  Hummels, Ramos, Azpilicueta etc are all as good as those named above, if not better.

Yeah, Godin is probably the best centre half in the last 20 or 30 years

Guest faircity
20 minutes ago, Mox said:

Yeah, Godin is probably the best centre half in the last 20 or 30 years

Couldn't lace Roberto Ayala's or Jurgen Kohler's  boots. 

Edited by faircity

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

How many times has Kane played against them like? Shearer had the ones I mentioned almost week in week out.

probably should have mentioned I was going on club basis.

Edited by JECK