Tierney

Squirrelhumper

7 hours ago, Lion Rampant said:

Danny Rose I think.

I think he's angling to leave though.

Tierney is every the player Danny Rose is

But must play at a higher level to prove it

Or stay at Celtic and get steadily worse

Spurs would be a good fit for him i think. I'd expect him to 'do a Robertson' and become a favourite.

As for the Bournemouth > Celtic argument, you have to laugh.

No offence to any Dons on here, but the level of Scottish player that moves to Bournemouth is a 'prospect' like Ryan Fraser (who's become a big success down there). Bournemouth aren't in Tierney's league or (hopefully) level of ambition.

On 18 May 2018 at 11:43 PM, Dave78 said:

Spurs would be a good fit for him i think. I'd expect him to 'do a Robertson' and become a favourite.

As for the Bournemouth > Celtic argument, you have to laugh.

No offence to any Dons on here, but the level of Scottish player that moves to Bournemouth is a 'prospect' like Ryan Fraser (who's become a big success down there). Bournemouth aren't in Tierney's league or (hopefully) level of ambition.

Fraser moved to Bournemouth when they were in League One and got a lot of stick on here at the time for "taking a step down" and showing a lack of ambition. I guess he made the right decision.  

Saying Bournemouth are a bigger club than Celtic is a stupid argument on all but two levels, their turnover and that they are playing at a higher level of football week in/week out.   Neither of those are anything to do with Bournemouth as a club but are solely to do with the league they currently play in.

That said, I don't see any reason why Tiernay couldn't play for any of the top six clubs in England.  That's no to say that he's better than  their current players but that he would be at home in that company. 

On 5/17/2018 at 6:05 PM, andyD said:

That's fair enough. And if Tierney went to Everton of Bournemouth he's a fool. Better of a Celtic than there. However, if he turns down Man Utd or Atletico.. then he's a fool. It's a short career. Be the best you can and achieve everything you can.

You one of these weirdos who doesn't support a club? A Celtic fan staying at his beloved club is a fool? 😂

3 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

You one of these weirdos who doesn't support a club? A Celtic fan staying at his beloved club is a fool? 😂

Football players are different from supporters as for them it is a job first of all.

I wouldn't describe Tierney as a fool if he stayed at Celtic but I would say that he will - probably pretty soon - have a big decision to make about his future.

Lets be honest about this, Scotland aren't going to win the World Cup, nor are Celtic going to win the European Cup again - but he could conceivably move to a club that could win it.

I always think that players should be looking to play at the highest level they can.

On 5/18/2018 at 5:46 AM, Malcolm said:

Ha ha ha... why don’t you “wise up” and take the parochial specs off....   Celtic are a nobody in world football terms.  They are constrained by a diddy league and yes finance is now the major driver in determining the size of a club or any business for that matter.  If you hadn’t noticed things changed in the 1990s... the number of fans is irrelevant now... it’s all about tv money.

Here is just one example... bournemouth ranked 108, Celtic 132.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/global-club-soccer-rankings/

Using ESPN's "Soccer Power Index" as evidence that Bournmouth are "bigger" than Celtic.

See TA Board is easily more mental anything that goes.

ESPN's Soccer Power Index (SPI) is an international and club rating system designed to be the best possible representation of a team's current overall skill level. As opposed to other systems like the FIFA rankings, SPI is forward-looking and predictive. It is designed to project which teams will have the most success going forward, not rate the success of teams in the past - though the two are obviously related.

Edited by phart

On 5/20/2018 at 10:58 AM, Scotland Ever More said:

A Celtic fan staying at his beloved club is a fool? 😂

It'd be a bit of a sad indictment of him as a person.
He's played for Celtic, won leagues and cups with them, even worn the armband.
There's nothing left to do at Celtic except continue to get one over on Ranger which is kind of petty if you have the option of instead lining up opposite Messi and Ronaldo or Salah and De Bruyne.

He will have the opportunity to expand his horizons, learn from better managers than Rodgers, challenge himself against better players than Cadden and Bowman.

Just seems like an absolute waste to tread water as a player, and find himself lining up on opening day next season against the mighty Roarie Deacon in Dundee.. instead of Liverpool or Real.. all because you want to win mickey mouse titles that Celtic will win with or without him.

The Scottish game is on the up, however if we want that trend to continue we should encourage our best players to stay and in fact strive to add more better players. 

I'm not saying that Tierney shouldn't go at some point but history is littered with boys who went too early and another couple of years at Celtic would be no bad thing for him imo

I'm not sure where you get the impression that the Scottish game is on the up...

...but other than that I can see where you are coming from in that, at 20 years of age, it might be too soon to expect Tierney to walk into the Atletico team for example. I just hope he makes the most of his abilities and doesn't stagnate in our league.

1 minute ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

I'm not sure where you get the impression that the Scottish game is on the up...

...but other than that I can see where you are coming from in that, at 20 years of age, it might be too soon to expect Tierney to walk into the Atletico team for example. I just hope he makes the most of his abilities and doesn't stagnate in our league.

You don't think the game is on the up? I do and it's reflected in the attendance figures. Your own team have just been to 2 finals, Hibs have had a good first season back and with Gerard's arrival and Aberdeen still challenging there's surely an even better season and surely a better TV deal ahead?

5 minutes ago, slasher said:

You don't think the game is on the up? I do and it's reflected in the attendance figures. Your own team have just been to 2 finals, Hibs have had a good first season back and with Gerard's arrival and Aberdeen still challenging there's surely an even better season and surely a better TV deal ahead?

Not sure how some teams winning games ties to the overall quality of the league improving.
Measuring against yourself is generally a bad way to try and measure change.

The 4 teams that went into europe this season:
Celtic: Made it to the groups, but were then roundly embarrassed. Out at the first opportunity in the Europa league.
Aberdeen: Failed to make the Europa league, knocked out by a diddy team from Cyprus.
Rangers: Failed at the first hurdle, beaten over 2 legs by a side from Luxembourg.
St Johnstone: Failed at the first hurdle, beaten twice by a diddy team from Lithuania.

Feels like an all time low when we can't compete with the might of Cyrpus, Lithuania and Luxembourg.

5 minutes ago, andyD said:

Not sure how some teams winning games ties to the overall quality of the league improving.
Measuring against yourself is generally a bad way to try and measure change.

The 4 teams that went into europe this season:
Celtic: Made it to the groups, but were then roundly embarrassed. Out at the first opportunity in the Europa league.
Aberdeen: Failed to make the Europa league, knocked out by a diddy team from Cyprus.
Rangers: Failed at the first hurdle, beaten over 2 legs by a side from Luxembourg.
St Johnstone: Failed at the first hurdle, beaten twice by a diddy team from Lithuania.

Feels like an all time low when we can't compete with the might of Cyrpus, Lithuania and Luxembourg.

Exactly, the only way is up. Call me an optimist 👍

24 minutes ago, slasher said:

Personally, no I don't think the game is on the up....Motherwell making two cup finals, doesn't mean the overall game is on the up, it just means that Motherwell have performed better in the cups than they have in the league. The quality in the league is pitiful really...even this much lauded Celtic team, isn't a patch on the team that had Sutton, Larson, Hartson and Petrov, or the one with di Canio and Cadete.

Next season, I'd imagine Celtic will tighten their grip on the league title (and possibly another treble), while I think its a certainty that Livvy will go straight back down to the Championship.

6 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Personally, no I don't think the game is on the up....Motherwell making two cup finals, doesn't mean the overall game is on the up, it just means that Motherwell have performed better in the cups than they have in the league. The quality in the league is pitiful really...even this much lauded Celtic team, isn't a patch on the team that had Sutton, Larson, Hartson and Petrov, or the one with di Canio and Cadete.

Next season, I'd imagine Celtic will tighten their grip on the league title (and possibly another treble), while I think its a certainty that Livvy will go straight back down to the Championship.

I don't think Celtic will win the treble next season and I would expect all the others to improve and don't forget Aberdeen have the new sheepdome in the offing. We also have a progressive St. Mirren team coming up who I think will add something if they keep hold of their manager. I know Livi weren't everyone's choice to come up but they're here on merit and anyway everybody likes a wee bit of an underdog story. 

All I'm saying is I'm optimistic about next season. Now, if we can just persuade Killie and Accies to get rid of their plastic abortions of pitches ill be buzzing for next term! 😁

The only way Celtic wont win the treble next season, is if they have some sort of meltdown in a one-off cup game.

I'm a season book holder of 14 seasons, and paid at the gate for umpteen seasons before that, but I'm at the stage where I'm seriously considering not renewing and picking and choosing my games next season.

3 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

The only way Celtic wont win the treble next season, is if they have some sort of meltdown in a one-off cup game.

I'm a season book holder of 14 seasons, and paid at the gate for umpteen seasons before that, but I'm at the stage where I'm seriously considering not renewing and picking and choosing my games next season.

You're entitled to do as you feel as a paying customer but you must have seen far worse seasons as a Motherwell fan than the one just past? 

Its nothing to do with just Motherwells relative performance in comparison to everyone else though....its got to the point where I can pretty much guarantee what the outcome of the upcoming season will be in terms of who will win trophies, and who will be involved in relegation while the quality on show across the board is pretty chronic.

I know Celtic fans who no longer go, because they are bored rigid with the whole thing

14 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Its nothing to do with just Motherwells relative performance in comparison to everyone else though....its got to the point where I can pretty much guarantee what the outcome of the upcoming season will be in terms of who will win trophies, and who will be involved in relegation while the quality on show across the board is pretty chronic.

I know Celtic fans who no longer go, because they are bored rigid with the whole thing

Be good if those Celtic fans that don't go and come from Glasgow or the east end go and watch their local teams if they have one.

56 minutes ago, slasher said:

I don't think Celtic will win the treble next season and I would expect all the others to improve and don't forget Aberdeen have the new sheepdome in the offing. We also have a progressive St. Mirren team coming up who I think will add something if they keep hold of their manager. I know Livi weren't everyone's choice to come up but they're here on merit and anyway everybody likes a wee bit of an underdog story. 

All I'm saying is I'm optimistic about next season. Now, if we can just persuade Killie and Accies to get rid of their plastic abortions of pitches ill be buzzing for next term! 😁

What do you base that on - thinking Celtic not winning the treble again ?

Edited by JECK

28 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

I'd love to meet these folk. Bored rigid of winning trophies:lol:

I find it strange but there you go...one in particular that I spoke to on Friday in work, season book holder and been a handful of times this season, because there is no competition...he stopped short of calling it a tainted treble right enough...

...and there are plenty more like him