Tierney - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tierney

Squirrelhumper

36 minutes ago, JECK said:

Don't know if the Man U link has cooled but that could be the ideal move. A few hours drive from home, massive club etc.

Man Utd are being heavily linked with Alex Sandro from Juventus at the moment so I think that looks more likely at the moment. Mourinho is under a lot of pressure to try and bridge the gap with Man City and will likely go with someone that has a lot more experience if given the choice.

Atletico would be an interesting move for him and it would be a really good education in terms of the defensive side of his game. Unfortunately I think he would go there and have a hard time displacing Filipe Luis there as he's been a key player for Simeone for a while now. He's 32 though and only has a year left on his current deal so who knows.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Of course.

Moves are gambles but ones abroad are bigger I would say as you have to settle in a strange country, learn the language and adapt to their game and beat off more fierce competition. It may work out just fine but first team football is a guarantee at Celtic.

The idea of one of our most promising players in decades staying at Celtic long term is depressing. 

If he has any ambition he’ll be watching Robertson in a few weeks and thinking “that could be me”

Guest BlueGaz
14 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

The idea of one of our most promising players in decades staying at Celtic long term is depressing. 

If he has any ambition he’ll be watching Robertson in a few weeks and thinking “that could be me”

That's a good point actually.  His loyalty to the tims is admirable and doesn't happen as often as it should these days, but you surely want to achieve as much as you can in the game.  He is one of a very few Scots that could make it to the top of the club football.  But, he's still young - however would take the opportunities as they present themselves, things can change very quickly.

3 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

That's a good point actually.  His loyalty to the tims is admirable and doesn't happen as often as it should these days, but you surely want to achieve as much as you can in the game.  He is one of a very few Scots that could make it to the top of the club football.  But, he's still young - however would take the opportunities as they present themselves, things can change very quickly.

Definitely worth pointing out that Tierney has did everything right so far and he can take his time and pick his next move. 

Comparing him with Gauld and Burke isn’t right when he’s an established international and played over 100 club games.

Guest BlueGaz
37 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I think both the risks and rewards of going abroad are greater than staying at home. He could sink, certainly, but I think the benefits outweigh those risks.

True.  I think he would only fail abroad if it was a cultural issue, homesick, that type of stuff.  He certainly shouldn't fail on the football side after a short acclimatisation period.

Only my own opinion but the link to Bournemouth is probably the most sensible move just now. He's unlikely to walk into a big team and play each week. Couple of years at the likes of a Bournemouth playing every week then move up to playing for a huge club.

Whether pragmatism can overcome the whole Bhoy living the dream shtick is a big question. He's achieved all he will in Scotland. For me, time to step up in weekly quality of games.

1 hour ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Only my own opinion but the link to Bournemouth is probably the most sensible move just now. He's unlikely to walk into a big team and play each week. Couple of years at the likes of a Bournemouth playing every week then move up to playing for a huge club.

Whether pragmatism can overcome the whole Bhoy living the dream shtick is a big question. He's achieved all he will in Scotland. For me, time to step up in weekly quality of games.

Fuck signing for Bournemouth, he's way better than that.

2 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

He’s start in more or less every EPL team apart from maybe Liverpool. 

All of you are mad. The big teams send their 20 year olds to teams like Celtic for the simple reason that it is good for their development. Game time and instilling a winning mentality into him is invaluable at this stage of his career. 

Gauld will have gained some positives from his time in Portugal, but I think we all agree he'd have been better getting game time the last couple of years before going there

24 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

All of you are mad. The big teams send their 20 year olds to teams like Celtic for the simple reason that it is good for their development. Game time and instilling a winning mentality into him is invaluable at this stage of his career. 

Gauld will have gained some positives from his time in Portugal, but I think we all agree he'd have been better getting game time the last couple of years before going there

Tierney’s played more games than just about any other player in world football in the last year or so. He needs games at a higher level now, as he won’t improve much more in Scotland.

25 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

The big teams play their best 20 year olds.

Tierney is 21 in a couple of weeks. He's not a kid.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Fuck signing for Bournemouth, he's way better than that.

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

He’s start in more or less every EPL team apart from maybe Liverpool. 

We all know he's good enough to take a bigger step. Problem is top English clubs don't. Like Virgil Van Dijk and Victor Wanyama before, top young players from up here have to use the likes of Bouremouth, Southampton, Newcastle type clubs to get a season or two in that league under their belt to "prove themselves". The perception of our own top league is one of development standard for these clubs.

I'd be delighted if KT goes straight into a top club and plays every week. He's ready for that. The likelihood is that won't happen though.

30 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

We all know he's good enough to take a bigger step. Problem is top English clubs don't. Like Virgil Van Dijk and Victor Wanyama before, top young players from up here have to use the likes of Bouremouth, Southampton, Newcastle type clubs to get a season or two in that league under their belt to "prove themselves". The perception of our own top league is one of development standard for these clubs.

I'd be delighted if KT goes straight into a top club and plays every week. He's ready for that. The likelihood is that won't happen though.

Bournemouth would be the perfect place for Tierney to go to.  He'd be first choice LB unless Eddie Howe became a moron overnight and could follow a similar route Andy Robertson took from Hull to Liverpool

11 minutes ago, kwhitelaw said:

Bournemouth would be the perfect place for Tierney to go to.  He'd be first choice LB unless Eddie Howe became a moron overnight and could follow a similar route Andy Robertson took from Hull to Liverpool

I'd rather he stayed and waited for a club that's not the Hamilton of the EPL to be honest.

8 minutes ago, kwhitelaw said:

It amazes me how many Scotland fans want our best players to leave and then bleat about the quality of our game 🙄

The EPL is overrated pish....... if Bournemouth were playing Everton oot my back garden I'd shut the blinds. 

1 minute ago, slasher said:

The EPL is overrated pish....... if Bournemouth were playing Everton oot my back garden I'd shut the blinds. 

I'd tend to agree, I'm just about to ditch sky for that very reason.

Losing Spanish football was the final straw. BT shits all over Sky for Scottish Football plus it has German & Italian which I enjoy more than the EPL.

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'd tend to agree, I'm just about to ditch sky for that very reason.

Losing Spanish football was the final straw. BT shits all over Sky for Scottish Football plus it has German & Italian which I enjoy more than the EPL.

I think everyone is hoping BT nudge Sky oot the way when the contract is up 👍

16 minutes ago, slasher said:

I think everyone is hoping BT nudge Sky oot the way when the contract is up 👍

Aye would be excellent.

Full package for Scottish football is so much better.

Like him or loathe him, Chris Sutton promotes the game up here superbly.

Just now, Squirrelhumper said:

Aye would be excellent.

Full package for Scottish football is so much better.

Like him or loathe him, Chris Sutton promotes the game up here superbly.

Completely agree, the coverage of Scottish football from sky is laughable. The first benefit would be no more Ian Crocker. 

5 hours ago, slasher said:

It amazes me how many Scotland fans want our best players to leave and then bleat about the quality of our game 🙄

That's fair enough. And if Tierney went to Everton of Bournemouth he's a fool. Better of a Celtic than there. However, if he turns down Man Utd or Atletico.. then he's a fool. It's a short career. Be the best you can and achieve everything you can.

7 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

The big teams play their best 20 year olds.

Tierney is 21 in a couple of weeks. He's not a kid.

Agree with this 100%.  Tierney's played for Celtic more than 100 times and has 9 international caps and he's still only 20.  He's the real deal and I'd say is the most promising player we've had since Darren Fletcher broke into the national team, possibly even more so as Fletcher was capped before he'd played for a Man Utd's first team.   

If he stays clear of injury he'll get more than 100 caps. 

And I'm far from being a Celtic fan. 

7 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'd rather he stayed and waited for a club that's not the Hamilton of the EPL to be honest.

Bournemouth are a significant step up from Celtic, bigger club in a bigger league.  It would be a good move for him, the only downside being only a small chance of CL football.

22 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Bournemouth are a significant step up from Celtic, bigger club in a bigger league.  It would be a good move for him, the only downside being only a small chance of CL football.

Bournemouth a “Bigger Club” Behave.

gates of what 12k max