Scottish Cup Final - Page 9 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Cup Final

13 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

No answer on hibs board then. U and parkie should go oot together. Sling a load of insults "rocket". And cant answer ehen a simple question is put to you. So i will try one last time. Did the hibs let a protestant on their board before the 1950's? Its a simple question and u can fone a friend or google. But u and i know u wont answer as the truth hurts and u cant face that. Same as parkie who cant answer a simple question about mcleish. Ach well. The night is young.

Quick question.

Did any Protestants apply for any positions on the Hibs board before 1950?

I don’t know the answer (not really bothered as it’s almost 70 years ago).

10 hours ago, slasher said:

It makes a pleasant change from your paedo rant the other night at least 👍

I mentioned it once in a completely sober blind rage.

For that, and to the others that felt I went too far, I unconditionally apologise.

Several 'buttons were pushed' and I should, like I usually do, have simply logged out.

There was no need, and it's not me in reality. 

20 minutes ago, Redz said:

I mentioned it once in a completely sober blind rage.

For that, and to the others that felt I went too far, I unconditionally apologise.

Several 'buttons were pushed' and I should, like I usually do, have simply logged out.

There was no need, and it's not me in reality. 

Fair enough, nae probs  👍

2 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

Quick question.

Did any Protestants apply for any positions on the Hibs board before 1950?

I don’t know the answer (not really bothered as it’s almost 70 years ago).

Harry Swan was a major shareholder and chairman in the 1930s, who I believe was a Protestant 

5 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Harry Swan was a major shareholder and chairman in the 1930s, who I believe was a Protestant 

Its not a whataboutery thing i mean. Just saying there was more than rangers and celtic bigotted at one time. Fortunately the likes of hibs and hearts got rid of it quicker than old firm. What celtic did to jock stein in my and many other cellic pals was a disgrace. And that was based on religion. He wasnt allowed on the board simple as. But not trying whataboutery here. The gers fans and cellic fans are, again, imo? Just as bad as they always were. The young ones coming through are as bad if not worse. Police and stewards should be doing more. Someone on here last year said just go in and lift 50 every ge until they get ot that songs supporting terrorism is not on. I would support that.

On 5/20/2018 at 1:53 PM, Mox said:

The European analogy doesn't work in this instance. We are a team that plays a modern game, when we get into Europe and play PSG, they are a much better side than us but at least we try and play and it worked a couple of times in Europe in season and thats something to be proud of.

All I'm trying to say is that when you're resources are much less than your opponents then you've to be creative in how you approach the game, be that through recruitment and most importantly coaching. We've no innovative coaches in the SPFL, none at all and there isn't one Scottish coach/manager that you would say is at the forefront of modern football in any way. If a team wanted to compete with Celtic over a season, the best way to do that is to implement a modern passing, possession and pressing style, that gives you the best opportunity to win a match. I accept you need intelligent footballers to be able to take on those instructions and thats where a good coach and manager comes into their own, something we severely lack.

It's easy to blame the gap in resources, a few managers have referenced it recently and I'd imagine more will next season, but all it does is disguise their deficiencies and limitations as managers, but thats not unique, almost all Scottish managers are limited at this stage, none of them will reach the top. The next generation might be different, but I don't hold out much hope.

The European analogy works fine, you just don't want to admit that Saint Brendan isn't smart enough to combat teams with greater resources. 

It's simple. Celtic play one way. It works against Scottish teams, although not as well this season as last, and mostly fails in Europe. 

I'm interested to see if there are any tactical changes in Celtic for next season. If not I'd imagine a poorer league performance again. 

3 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

The European analogy works fine, you just don't want to admit that Saint Brendan isn't smart enough to combat teams with greater resources. 

It's simple. Celtic play one way. It works against Scottish teams, although not as well this season as last, and mostly fails in Europe. 

I'm interested to see if there are any tactical changes in Celtic for next season. If not I'd imagine a poorer league performance again. 

Unfortunately you do yourself no favours in trying to make credible points when you make comments like that. 

Edited by Dalgety Bay TA

1 minute ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Unfortunately you do yourself no favours in trying to make credible points when you make comments like that. 

Celtic play the one style in almost every game. They very occasionally vary the passing style when it's not working but it's very rare and is immediately obvious when you see the personnel changes. 

It's part of the reason less points were secured this season compared to last. Along with a bigger injury list this season. 

6 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Celtic play the one style in almost every game. They very occasionally vary the passing style when it's not working but it's very rare and is immediately obvious when you see the personnel changes. 

It's part of the reason less points were secured this season compared to last. Along with a bigger injury list this season. 

You are wrong but if that’s how you view games I’m not going to be able to change that view. Rodgers has varied his tactical set up more this season than last.

There’s been no mention of the Palestine display from the Green Brigade. I’m presuming it didn’t get much airtime on TV?

Was pretty spectacular, although not sure the Scottish cup final was really the stage for it, and not sure they can speak for all Celtic supporters, so a bit divisive surely?

(I don’t think I’d like the ‘well Bois to be representing Motherwell fans on A side in a political debate, even if I thought they were probably right)

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

There’s been no mention of the Palestine display from the Green Brigade. I’m presuming it didn’t get much airtime on TV?

Was pretty spectacular, although not sure the Scottish cup final was really the stage for it, and not sure they can speak for all Celtic supporters, so a bit divisive surely?

(I don’t think I’d like the ‘well Bois to be representing Motherwell fans on A side in a political debate, even if I thought they were probably right)

They don't speak for all Celtic supporters but I don't think a banner with "end genocide" on it would be seen as divisive amongst any decent minded folks.

10 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

They don't speak for all Celtic supporters but I don't think a banner with "end genocide" on it would be seen as divisive amongst any decent minded folks.

Slightly disingenuous.

9 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Still refuses to vary it in Europe enough to avoid humpings.

Nope, he has varied it in European football too. PSG away for example he went 4-5-1 but still got taken apart. Players just aren’t good enough to avoid the humpings. Bar going something like 8-2-0 and sneaking an extra goalie on these are always going to happen.

8 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Slightly disingenuous.

Not at all. You said it was divisive, it wasn't, and the reaction it got from the Celtic support backs that up. 

As for the Motherwell bois, they were too busy singing songs about peidos and shouting abuse at families of Celtic fans walking down from Mount Florida to pick a side of this "political debate" as you put it. I know who I'd rather share a terrace with.

2 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Nope, he has varied it in European football too. PSG away for example he went 4-5-1 but still got taken apart. Players just aren’t good enough to avoid the humpings. Bar going something like 8-2-0 and sneaking an extra goalie on these are always going to happen.

Agree to a certain extent but whilst he played with 5 in midfield, he could have made that more compact and harder to break down (Ie don't play passengers like Sinclair).

If that was the case with players not being good enough, then Scotland should have been humped off France, Spain, Germany etc in the past.

You have to take a pragmatic approach and play a system to at least give you a chance of a result. Celtic were beaten before a ball was kicked in those games.

PSG have to scrap results domestically against the likes of Toulouse, Monpellier, Strasbourg. Caen etc. Saying they don't have good enough players isn't an excuse for losing 12 goals (could have been far worse) in 2 games.

Might not be pretty on the eye but neither is losing 6 or 7 and praying they take the foot off the gas!

1 hour ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Not at all. You said it was divisive, it wasn't, and the reaction it got from the Celtic support backs that up. 

As for the Motherwell bois, they were too busy singing songs about peidos and shouting abuse at families of Celtic fans walking down from Mount Florida to pick a side of this "political debate" as you put it. I know who I'd rather share a terrace with.

The abuse I witnessed was very much coming from the Celtic fans towards the Motherwell ones...there are halfwits in every support

2 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

I actually know Celtic fans that were happy that he refused to park the bus in the games that they got their arses handed to them, as parking the bus isnt the 'celtic way' according to them...bizarre mindset from a pretty bizarre Club to be honest.

Aye, likewise.

We'd all love to play amazing football but first and foremost I want to see my team compete and not get embarrassed.

Football is all about getting results. Might not be pretty but there's absolutely nothing positive about getting your arse handed to you time and time again.