Dentists - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

3 hours ago, Ayr Storm said:

It can take time for composite fillings to settle.  Indeed amalgam fillings can take time to settle also, but it is more common with composite.. A composite filling is glued into the cavity.  As the composite sets it contracts a tiny amount which can set up some stresses within the tooth.  This can lead to some tenderness.

What you are looking for is that the tooth feels a bit better as each day goes by.  If the tooth is beginning to settle, the replacement filling can sometimes be placed over the dressing and thus avoid disturbing the deepest part of the cavity.  It does sound hopeful that it is settling.

If your dentist has digital xrays, then ask to see them on the computer monitor and ask the dentist to explain what they mean to you.  She should point out the decay and the pulp of the tooth where the nerve is.  This should help you to feel a bit more confidence in the diagnosis and treatment.

"It wasn't sore until she filled it" is not unusual.  All I would say is that if the decay was left to spread it would eventually lead to pain.  Restoring a small cavity is more likely to be successful than decay that has become more extensive.

Best wishes

Many thanks for your advice, I feel a more reassured , will see how it goes over the next week. 

When me and my condemned teeth retire to Ayr I will be in touch 🙂

2 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

Mrs D, some sound advice there, I think you should go to Ayr for your treatment.

Hope you don’t need emergency treatment when you’re over here shortly, Mandy just paid £295 for 2 fillings.

As your brother will tell you dentistry in Jersey is a license to print money. 

I will be going to Ayr for my holiday never mind my teeth if I need root canal treatment.

Me and Mr Tidy in a wee caravan, what could possibly go wrong . 

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

This must be the most blatant "Auld wummin boasting about still having her own teeth" thread I have ever seen. You should think yourself lucky that you still have teeth to moan aboot.:lol:

😂  ,  I wouldnt be so upset but they are my last 2 teeth . 

7 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

Mrs D, some sound advice there, I think you should go to Ayr for your treatment.

Hope you don’t need emergency treatment when you’re over here shortly, Mandy just paid £295 for 2 fillings.

As your brother will tell you dentistry in Jersey is a license to print money. 

‘Kin right Jimbob. In Jersey £70 wouldnae get ye a chinwag wi the receptionist!

Sis, for what it’s worth I had root canal about a year ago and it took literally months before my teeth felt normal again. Sore to begin with. Then a bit uncomfortable and eventually ok. I was raging for ages after the treatment as like you I hadn’t been in any pain. 

Every cloud has a silver lining though because fortunately for me, my dentist is a friend of a friend so only charged me £700!! Bargain 😳

8 hours ago, Marky said:

‘Kin right Jimbob. In Jersey £70 wouldnae get ye a chinwag wi the receptionist!

Sis, for what it’s worth I had root canal about a year ago and it took literally months before my teeth felt normal again. Sore to begin with. Then a bit uncomfortable and eventually ok. I was raging for ages after the treatment as like you I hadn’t been in any pain. 

Every cloud has a silver lining though because fortunately for me, my dentist is a friend of a friend so only charged me £700!! Bargain 😳

I’ve no even had root canal yet, Ive only had a filling . 

700 quid is nothing to you tax exiles. My teeth are more Paisley Express than Panama Papers  😬

23 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I can assure you, I am not an overly fussy person. 

I can confirm that, she doesn’t bother if clothes fit or not, buys dodgy specs and her other teeth would put you in mind of auld decrepit tombstones. On the plus side she knows how to rock a pork pie hat and ostrich feather. 😁

Anyone got experience of IV sedation or alternative (laughing gas I think)? Any idea of prices? Been reading about it on Dental Fear Central site and both methods sound interesting. Expensive no doubt but if they allow a lot of work to be done in a short time may save money if meaning less time off work.

1 hour ago, Ayr Storm said:

Inhalation sedation / laughing gas /Relative analgesia is less than £11 per session at NHS prices

Thanks.  Is it widely available? Much cheaper than I expected.  The IV option sounded more like what I  was looking for but I`ve read that being overweight and/or breathing through mouth are obstacles and you have to be accompanied for several hours after.  Presume this is nothing to do with "wand" offered by some dentists which I think is to self-control anaesthetic not level of consciousness.

On 5/15/2018 at 5:25 PM, TDYER63 said:

I will be going to Ayr for my holiday never mind my teeth if I need root canal treatment.

Me and Mr Tidy in a wee caravan, what could possibly go wrong . 

Mmmmmm, I heard the hornets in Ayrshire are right wee shites, just remember and take a bucket of water, a long plank of wood and several jars of jam and you’ll be fine.

5 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

Mmmmmm, I heard the hornets in Ayrshire are right wee shites, just remember and take a bucket of water, a long plank of wood and several jars of jam and you’ll be fine.

Only Bon maman raspberry jam works, none of that Hartleys rubbish. 

‘Mon the 🐝 🐝🐝🐝🐝

26 minutes ago, G-Man said:

‘Mon the 🐝 🐝🐝🐝🐝

This tale was related to me on Saturday. There were tears, actual tears, running down my manly cheeks.

4 hours ago, Flure said:

This tale was related to me on Saturday. There were tears, actual tears, running down my manly cheeks.

I had manly tears running down my chubby cheeks. ☹️

9 hours ago, Jersey Jim said:

4 hours ago, G-Man said:

‘Mon the 🐝 🐝🐝🐝🐝

4 hours ago, Flure said:

Aye, you are all very funny, its me that has to live with him .

I think I may start a hornet thread, dont see why I should suffer alone 🐝🙁

21 hours ago, ironbrew said:

Thanks.  Is it widely available? Much cheaper than I expected.  The IV option sounded more like what I  was looking for but I`ve read that being overweight and/or breathing through mouth are obstacles and you have to be accompanied for several hours after.  Presume this is nothing to do with "wand" offered by some dentists which I think is to self-control anaesthetic not level of consciousness.

The Wand is a gadget to deliver local anaesthetic very slowly so that it is almost painless.  This is not available on the NHS.  I spent several thousand pounds on a Wand unit and it has been sitting unused for years.

You need looked after for a while after IV sedation.  With RA sedation you are safe to drive a car immediately afterwards.  IV tends to give a deeper level of sedation but RA is fine for 95% of nervous patients.  So far as I know it is only a minority of dental practices who offer either form of sedation.

Weight might be an issue with IV sedation but not with RA.  For RA gas to work you have to be able to breathe through your nose.