MLS And Johnny Russell - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

MLS And Johnny Russell

Ormond

How good is this league? In my opinion it’s not near as good as is made out by many. I’m of the belief that Russell has taken a step down. 

I was also just reading something about Bradley Wright Phillips being the best MLS player “ever”. This is a guy who came from Charlton I think. 

5 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

I often feel unnecessary chit chat is a waste of everyone’s time. 

I know he doesn’t take it personally anyway :rollsmile:

I’m surprised you were so lenient. 😂

Johnny Russell was decent hard working forward at Derby who chip in with 10 a season. Aside from more goals not much different to Anya.

When you think likes of Phillips and Matt Ritchie have struggled to establish themselves for Scotland despite having good runs at premier league level, I'm not sure Russell would be a potential saviour.

• 4 weeks later...

There are a number of good players in the MLS (albeit usually at the end of their career) averaged out by a lot of dross. Once you get past a few good players for each team, I think that most teams would be lower English Championship quality at best.

Football Manager (2017) reckons that players like Jamie Mackie and Greg Stewart are better than Bradley Wright-Phillips - which gives a sense of how good the MLS actually is.

On 5/5/2018 at 6:56 PM, Ormond said:

How good is this league? In my opinion it’s not near as good as is made out by many. I’m of the belief that Russell has taken a step down. 

According to the squad lists on wikipedia , as things stand, there are 22 MLS players going to the world cup (including 2 Peru players last night), and 23 Championship players going.

I would take that to mean the standard in both leagues is roughly the same.

2 hours ago, davew said:

According to the squad lists on wikipedia , as things stand, there are 22 MLS players going to the world cup (including 2 Peru players last night), and 23 Championship players going.

I would take that to mean the standard in both leagues is roughly the same.

I'm not sure you can use that to make a comparison.   13 of the 22 MLS players are from Panama and Costa Rica - which is understandable given the geography - whereas the Championship players are more spread across the board.   I'd say that's skewing the numbers.

41 minutes ago, aaid said:

I'm not sure you can use that to make a comparison.   13 of the 22 MLS players are from Panama and Costa Rica - which is understandable given the geography - whereas the Championship players are more spread across the board.   I'd say that's skewing the numbers.

Agreed, stupid comparison...almost all of the Saudi Arabia squad play in their national league...I highly doubt that will be on par with the Championship, or MLS

17 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Agreed, stupid comparison...almost all of the Saudi Arabia squad play in their national league...I highly doubt that will be on par with the Championship, or MLS

Stupid comment. Saudi Arabia have got nothing to do with it.

USA aren't going to the world cup, and none of the England players play in the Championship.

Both leagues have a similar number of foreign International World-Cup-standard players

Edited by davew

18 hours ago, aaid said:

If you mean it's not a valid comparison because Panama and Costa Rica are two of the worst teams going to the World Cup, then fair enough.

If not, then I'm not sure what you're point is.

9 minutes ago, davew said:

If you mean it's not a valid comparison because Panama and Costa Rica are two of the worst teams going to the World Cup, then fair enough.

If not, then I'm not sure what you're point is.

You got my point. 

I thought Costa Rica looked pretty decent when they beat us in March, and considering that a lot of our players are Championship level...

It's hard to imagine Panama are up to much, but they did qualify ahead of the USA.