Bucket list... - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

So name 3 things or more if yae like, that are still on yir bucket list.                              1. Play my Bagpipes at Hampden for a Scotland match.                                             2. Skydive.  May happen this year.              3. Go to the top of the Empire State Building. Been to New York twice, but fear of heights got the best of me..

20 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

So name 3 things or more if yae like, that are still on yir bucket list.                              1. Play my Bagpipes at Hampden for a Scotland match.                                             2. Skydive.  May happen this year.              3. Go to the top of the Empire State Building. Been to New York twice, but fear of heights got the best of me..

I’ve done a skydive. Went out at 14000 feet strapped to a paratrooper. 

I was petrified but one of the best things I ever did. 

Out of sheer curiosity, visit Patton's bar in Clough Mills, Northern Ireland.   Seems one of my great grandfathers was born in that town to a mother of the former name, but changed it (aged 10 coming to work in Scotland's mines) to what my gran was given as her maiden name: Connelly.   (His father's name perhaps?   Genealogy is messy.)   Seems 3/4 of my father's side were from Ulster, but I'm guessing kicked with the other foot to yourself Rammy!

Harder still, to pin down the other 2/4ths.   My Mother's side is pretty much Scots btw, and (according the the Latterday Saints website) has a wee bit dubious link back to Robert the Bruce 😀   ...anyway as an aside I'd also like to visit Donegal on that trip since I like the song.   And on the visit list, I need to put the Outer Hebrides in the bucket too.   Never been.

I've not skydived, but have flown in a Chipmunk and a Nimrod.    I've abseiled in the Cuillins (well lowered like a sack o' tatties on a rope) and done the Aonach Eagach three times, but there are many hills I still want to just walk up.   I'll have knocked yon bucket over long before I manage all the Munros, with a couple of probably out of reach ones still in it   ...a' Mhaighdean for instance.   Not as high, but the top floor of the Empire State in November was colder than any hill I've been on.

2016 Euros was in it of course, but the bucket sprang a leak.   So 2020 group stage it is, and a meaningful win at Hampden.

1 hour ago, Huddersfield said:

I’ve done a skydive. Went out at 14000 feet strapped to a paratrooper. 

I was petrified but one of the best things I ever did. 

Aye m8. I will utterly shit masell, but it has to be done. 

11 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Out of sheer curiosity, visit Patton's bar in Clough Mills, Northern Ireland.   Seems one of my great grandfathers was born in that town to a mother of the former name, but changed it (aged 10 coming to work in Scotland's mines) to what my gran was given as her maiden name: Connelly.   (His father's name perhaps?   Genealogy is messy.)   Seems 3/4 of my father's side were from Ulster, but I'm guessing kicked with the other foot to yourself Rammy!

Harder still, to pin down the other 2/4ths.   My Mother's side is pretty much Scots btw, and (according the the Latterday Saints website) has a wee bit dubious link back to Robert the Bruce 😀   ...anyway as an aside I'd also like to visit Donegal on that trip since I like the song.   And on the visit list, I need to put the Outer Hebrides in the bucket too.   Never been.

I've not skydived, but have flown in a Chipmunk and a Nimrod.    I've abseiled in the Cuillins (well lowered like a sack o' tatties on a rope) and done the Aonach Eagach three times, but there are many hills I still want to just walk up.   I'll have knocked yon bucket over long before I manage all the Munros, with a couple of probably out of reach ones still in it   ...a' Mhaighdean for instance.   Not as high, but the top floor of the Empire State in November was colder than any hill I've been on.

2016 Euros was in it of course, but the bucket sprang a leak.   So 2020 group stage it is, and a meaningful win at Hampden.

Excellent  m8. 👍

9 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Aye m8. I will utterly shit masell, but it has to be done. 

It’s not really like you imagine it. I remember for example looking out of the window of this old plane we were on that had a plastic shutter instead of a door & thinking “that must be about 15000 feet now.” Then I looked at my partners altimeter & it said something daft like 4900 feet & at that point I nearly did crap myself. You drop the first 10000 feet or so in barely a minute then the parachute opens, you’ll say a silent prayer of thanks that you don’t plan to have any more kids, & then the last bit takes ages. 

The best bit though was the roll out of the plane. Dangling in the sky watching a plane fly right over your head will live with you. And you’ll spend the rest of your days boring the arse off anyone that will listen how you’ve taken off in a plane one more time than you’ve ever landed 😄

Have to say. The biggest thrill I could ever imagine in my life would be to play my Bagpipes at Hampden. Moving to Canada at a young age, never losing my passion and love for Scotland, and then walking out on the pitch and playing "The Flower Of Scotland". Gives me chills just thinking about it. I would die a happy man........Alba Gu Brath...

26 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

It’s not really like you imagine it. I remember for example looking out of the window of this old plane we were on that had a plastic shutter instead of a door & thinking “that must be about 15000 feet now.” Then I looked at my partners altimeter & it said something daft like 4900 feet & at that point I nearly did crap myself. You drop the first 10000 feet or so in barely a minute then the parachute opens, you’ll say a silent prayer of thanks that you don’t plan to have any more kids, & then the last bit takes ages. 

The best bit though was the roll out of the plane. Dangling in the sky watching a plane fly right over your head will live with you. And you’ll spend the rest of your days boring the arse off anyone that will listen how you’ve taken off in a plane one more time than you’ve ever landed 😄

Now I am.defo going to jump.. 👍👍😁😁😁

Things I’ve done, which were on my list, holiday in North Korea, walk across the top of Sydney harbour bridge, swim with dolphins, visit the Great Wall of China. 

Things still to do, visit Iran, Cuba, Mongolia, climb Machu Picchu, visit Easter Island, bungee jump, skydive, do a rally. 

Pretty much just travel stuff really. 

I had to think about this one.  

The obvious one would be to be settled with family issues.

the selfish one would be to spend time alone on a deserted island surrounded by all my favourite senses.  Just for a little bit of peace.

4 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Things I’ve done, which were on my list, holiday in North Korea, walk across the top of Sydney harbour bridge, swim with dolphins, visit the Great Wall of China. 

Things still to do, visit Iran, Cuba, Mongolia, climb Machu Picchu, visit Easter Island, bungee jump, skydive, do a rally. 

You've just  spoiled my post!  Imperial Palace and Great Wall

1 minute ago, Mindimoo said:

You've just  spoiled my post!  Imperial Palace and Great Wall

You could spend your life in China visiting stuff and never get bored, genuinely amazing country. 

Terracotta Warriors was something I should have added to my visited list, and The Bund. 

8 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Ooh, Mongolia too.  Right up there'.

one that's looking more achievable is Baku Grand Prix

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

You could spend your life in China visiting stuff and never get bored, genuinely amazing country. 

Terracotta Warriors was something I should have added to my visited list, and The Bund. 

I thought the Terracotta Warriors was a bit boring to be honest 😕

Amazing discovery obviously and I was excited to go but when there I just thought it was a bit dull. 

(Still better than Pompeii right enough which was utter shite).

Edited by McTeeko

Mines isn’t anywhere near as adventurous as others or as big as it was a few years ago

Visit the Korean DMZ

Siberian express railway

Learn a foreign language

Go to a World Cup (ideally with Scotland)

Learn the guitar fluently

A simple list for a simple laddie

Edited by DoonTheSlope

7 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Mines isn’t anywhere near as adventurous as others or as big as it was a few years ago

Visit the Korean DMZ

Siberian express railway

Learn a foreign language

Go to a World Cup (ideally with Scotland)

Learn the guitar fluently

A simple list for a simple laddie

Siberian express is one of mine too.

8 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Visit the Korean DMZ

I don’t really know what I was expecting going there, but it’s really small and very unimpressive. Somewhere that’s a bit of a let down IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

One other. I want tae meet Larky Masher. See if we can sit and have a pint like 2 grown aduts without battering the shite out of eachother. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Larky would struggle in face-to-face interaction, as 90% of his chat seems to be correcting spelling. 

40 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

One other. I want tae meet Larky Masher. See if we can sit and have a pint like 2 grown aduts without battering the shite out of eachother. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

My money’s on you Big Ramy. I’m guessing you hae ain o’ they big ram raiding heids that disnae feel pain when leathered. Therefore allowing you to just barry on punching unscathed. 😋