Anybody Staying in Haifa... - Israel V Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Anybody Staying in Haifa...

The Bunnet

3 hours ago, The Bunnet said:

Wee group booked up in Haifa, any others....Seems not bad for bars and loads of history on its doorstep...though only there Weds / Friday.

There are currently 535 day trippers coming up for the afternoon on the Davy Buses 😂

Ignore the X535 bus 🙃

I'm staying very briefly near the stadium at Carmel 'beach' which has a couple of bars, but seems to be the tech area of Haifa.   Most of the bars/restaurants are up on yon fekkin' great hill Mt. Carmel.

Re X535  the day oot yins, I heard that a gala day box, with  Stephens Bridie, custard slice and a big bottle of Bon Accord Limeade for everyone..included...Re the beaches, we are opposite Carmel Beach...but my experience of folk hosing me with water while waiting for the tide to refloat me, put me off going....That is a great effort with buses. We are getting the numbers sorted for Albania and will book the Daveybus when confirmed ( 8 so far )

• 1 month later...

Personally I would prefer the prospect of trying to enjoy Haifa a bit after the game than spending the evening travelling on a bus back to Tel Aviv with 535 potentially pissed off folk in kilts with rabbles of opinions of where it all went wrong. Hopefully I'm wrong on that last point. My group seems split on what to do.

Plan is to spend Tuesday-Wednesday night taking in Tel Aviv then get back there for return flight either Friday or Saturday (will need to check Sabbath logistics).

Anyone any idea on what Haifa would be like? To clarify, me and my mates are definitely the more "nightlife" type so commentary on the bar scene would be preferred. I would imagine Thursday in Israel being their version of our Saturday being the holy day is the next day?

7 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

What's the script with their holy day? Alcohol ban or what?

Seemingly in tel Aviv it’s just like a Sunday here, only the hardcore followers observe it. The beach front is supposed to be business as usual to cater for the tourists 

11 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Seemingly in tel Aviv it’s just like a Sunday here, only the hardcore followers observe it. The beach front is supposed to be business as usual to cater for the tourists 

That'll do me. Our flight home is late on the Friday night and we check out the hotel early so will be a few beers on the beach before the airport

Shalom 😎

Edited by Scotland Ever More

• 2 months later...

We are drilling gas wells offshore based out of Haifa, so plenty of Scots in the city especially from the Aberdeen area. We are all going to the match. 

Don't worry about security, I feel safer here than walking around any city in Scotland.

The general population are Jewish with many Muslims and I find it difficult to distinguish between them. They are quite liberal here, not like Muslim countries, where Jewish girls wear revealing clothing, plenty bars where you can drink and a decent nightlife. Similar to most Mediterranean countries.

We are looking at meeting up for pre-match drinks up the top of the hill. This is where most of us stay and where the main hotels are. See map below showing Patrick's Irish Bar which is a decent size with an outside seating / square which can hold hundreds of people. It is on a sort of large concrete terrace surrounded by a Cinema and restaurants on 3 sides with the fourth overlooking the main road running through Carmel. Across the road is The Bear Sports Bar where you can watch football. 

Patricks Irish bar.JPG

Patricks Irish bar.JPG

It is steep hill. There is a Gondola going up the hill as well as plenty of buses to get around. I have been told they are cheap but I have never been on one as I have a car or take a taxi. You can see a green bus in the photo I attached.

A taxi will cost around £10 to £15 to get from the top of the hill to the ground. Between 4 people its probably as cheap as the bus. 

If you want to see some sights, the Bahai Gardens are impressive, best to view from up the hill looking down. The bottom of the gardens lead onto the German Colony with lots of restaurants / bars. People live up the hill as its a few degrees cooler...it makes a life a lot more pleasant. The beaches are on the stadium side of the hill with Bars and restaurants along the beach. 

image.thumb.png.e0abc74d3df1a217451180fffe274864.png

I was in Haifa last week staying in the German colony.

Plenty going on there, loads of bars/restaurants, etc. 

As Ronnie says Haifa is very safe. October will be warm. It was regularly in the mid 30s last week, but I’m sure it will have cooled of a bit by next month. 

I have stayed at the top of the hill before, and be prepared for a hoofing hill! There is a great wee Druze restruant at the top of the hill called El’Kheir which is just opposite Patrick’s Irish bar. Have also had a few good nights in the Bear and found the Feiwel Bar to be lively. 

Heading from the German colony into the new town look out for the Libira Brewpub. It has one of the best burgers going and the beers are 24 sheckles a half litre (about £5.15).

Any questions just ask, I’ve been a few times now to Haifa.

J

30 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

I was in Haifa last week staying in the German colony.

Plenty going on there, loads of bars/restaurants, etc. 

As Ronnie says Haifa is very safe. October will be warm. It was regularly in the mid 30s last week, but I’m sure it will have cooled of a bit by next month. 

I have stayed at the top of the hill before, and be prepared for a hoofing hill! There is a great wee Druze restruant at the top of the hill called El’Kheir which is just opposite Patrick’s Irish bar. Have also had a few good nights in the Bear and found the Feiwel Bar to be lively. 

Heading from the German colony into the new town look out for the Libira Brewpub. It has one of the best burgers going and the beers are 24 sheckles a half litre (about £5.15).

Any questions just ask, I’ve been a few times now to Haifa.

J

That's an up-vote for a couple of places on my beer and grub map already cheers BH.   Do you or Ronnie know if there anywhere worth visiting in the stadium / beach area before the crowd arrives?   Yes, I'll be hoofing it up and over the hill at some point though.

Better still if I can find a bus map that isn't all squiggles.   I've managed to navigate before ok on Cyrillic, but Hebrew has me beat :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I'm staying in Haifa, have a flight to catch from tel aviv around 1pm on the Friday. I thought trains didn't stop until Friday afternoon but struggling to get one for the morning.

What's the best bet - bus or just take the plunge and get a taxi?

edit: Looks like I can get one to tel aviv centre, just not the airport. That's settled the nerves a bit!

Edited by Sempre

1 hour ago, Sempre said:

I'm staying in Haifa, have a flight to catch from tel aviv around 1pm on the Friday. I thought trains didn't stop until Friday afternoon but struggling to get one for the morning.

What's the best bet - bus or just take the plunge and get a taxi?

edit: Looks like I can get one to tel aviv centre, just not the airport. That's settled the nerves a bit!

My understanding is that there are shuttle buses from the centre to the airport due to the on-going railway line works.

Yeah... just found Friday's free shuttle timetable here.   I'll be on a later one than you Sempre.