Worst live band you've ever seen - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Worst live band you've ever seen

10 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

UB40 early 80's. Actually fell asleep during it. Might of something to do with the booze and the moroccan woodbines.

I seen them round about then as well at the magnum in Irvine. The support act was Winston reedy, his joint was on the stage about a minute before he appeared it was huge. 

I suppose we're talking headliners here as support acts can be pot luck.

It'd have to be Def Leppard a couple of years back when they topped the bill with Black Star Riders on first, followed by Whitesnake.  They were rank awful and we were on our way back to the car 5 songs in.  I wasn't surprised as they were equally drab the time I saw them before on a bill with Motley Crue (who were also p*sh).  My mrs wanted to go back and see them though.  Never again.

5 minutes ago, daviebee said:

It'd have to be Def Leppard a couple of years back when they topped the bill with Black Star Riders on first, followed by Whitesnake.  They were rank awful and we were on our way back to the car 5 songs in.  

Give 'em a break, the drummer's only got one arm :o 

Talking of drummers, I'd say the sloppiest show I've seen was the legendary Alex Chilton (RIP) from Big Star at the old 13th Note. We feared the worst when we turned up for the gig and you could hear they were still rehearsing downstairs. Turns out he had a cobbled together band with Francis from Teenage Fanclub on drums. He's a great drummer but was struggling to learn the material, song after song verged on the edge of collapse with a few trainwrecks thrown in.

However I saw Alex a couple of other times and he was storming.

15 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Heard Elton John very clearly from my house a couple of years back when he was at Meadowbank. He's certainly went downhill lately, he’s absolutely gash 

He might be ageing and getting gash - but he's still standing.

I was once asked to leave a Kiki Dee gig, by Kiki Dee. I'd inadvertently guffawed when she said she was playing Madison Square Garden with Elton John the following week - this was upstairs at The Leopard in Doncaster in front of some 30 punters.

Struggling to think of any headliner I went to see that turned out crap.

I have least enjoyed gigs due to the venue:  Vacuous like the SECC or sitting miles away in the Hydro (worse for a support band when you're a fan),   or else venues that were overcrowded.   I've been unable to even see the band on three occasions.   (The Sword in King Tutt's, Buckcherry in The Arches, and Clutch in the Bar Bloc pub, but that was still amazin' :spin: )

The running order messed me up once, and I only caught the last song of Opeth's that I'd gone to see - so was in a huff for the following act Arch Enemy,  and twice went to gigs to see the supports (Fields of the Nephilim and Crobot who were brilliant) and left after just a few headliners' songs.   Not their fault entirely.

6 hours ago, Mindimoo said:

U2 at Hampden - can't remember what year.  Dire.

They spent more time talking about African poverty. I don't even even think they knew what city they were in. I remember leaving that gig raging! 😣

Been rather lucky with all the bands I have seen, but the one that stood out was "Flood of Red" warming up for The Xcerts in Nice n' Sleazy's years ago.

Playing a venue that you can hardly swing a cat in, and they thought they were playing the Cathouse or something with the way they were chucking their instruments across the stage (bass player was getting well stuck into it, and clearly thought/believed that he was Nicky Wire, and almost smashed his guitar into people's faces a number of times).

Was so bad that I could not even be bothered with The Xcerts when they did come on.

Edit: The Vines at QMU in 2002-ish is actually the worst now I think about it. They had just released Highly Evolved which was doing well in the charts and had been getting some good radio play, girlfriend at the time was mates with one of the DJ's on Real Radio, so got free tickets, 4 songs in we looked at each other and both said "this is sh*t!" and left.

Edited by wanderer

12 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Heard Elton John very clearly from my house a couple of years back when he was at Meadowbank. He's certainly went downhill lately, he’s absolutely gash 

Elton John these  last few years sounds like Vic Reeves doing his parody ‘club style ‘singing. Horrendous 

7 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Bono is so far up his own arsehole; watching U2 these days is fairly unpleasant. 

Bono going on about worthy causes is one thing, but the thread title is, 'Worst live band you've ever seen?'

i.e. a band who performed badly; were lethargic; were too drunk to perform, etc...

I doubt U2 were guilty of any of those.

1 hour ago, Rich NATA said:

Bono going on about worthy causes is one thing, but the thread title is, 'Worst live band you've ever seen?'

i.e. a band who performed badly; were lethargic; were too drunk to perform, etc...

I doubt U2 were guilty of any of those.

I seen them at Parkhead in 93, I am sure Utah Saints were there as well. It was awful from start to finish.

To be fair, unfortunately  I had taken a bum acid that day and kind of flipped out so I accept it wasn’t all Bono’s fault. 

Edited by Jim Beem

1 hour ago, Jim Beem said:

I seen them at Parkhead in 93, I am sure Utah Saints were there as well. It was awful from start to finish.

To be fair, unfortunately  I had taken a bum acid that day and kind of flipped out so I accept it wasn’t all Bono’s fault. 

1993... The Zoo TV Tour... one of - if not the - most spectacular tours of all time.

I've never seen anything to surpass Zoo TV in the 25 years since.

Another one for the Eagles here - they played in Huddersfield around 94/95 time which was their first gig over here for donkey's years. I was working as a steward at the stadium back then & can say they were the most arrogant bunch ever. They wouldn't even travel in the same limo & turned out the dullest, most disinterested set.

Van Morrison a few years ago in Blackpool was dire as well. I still like the guy but that night he had to be physically helped on stage & looked like thought he was doing us all a favour by gracing us with his presence.