David Bates - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

David Bates

wanderer

22 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Strange signing for them as I'm not really convinced he's that great.

Good luck to the lad.

He looks like he has the ability. He's had games where he looks like a proper player. I think the problem is consistency, and if heading over to Germany and shift in culture helps him get that focus that you need to play at a high end at the back, then we might have a quality defender on our hands. All if's of course, but there is a player there, just needs to turn up week in, week out.

2 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

They’re 5 points outside the relegation zone with 5 games left - think they will be fine 

2nd bottom, 5 points off Mainz for the relegation play-off, and 9 points off safety.

strange one this, not seen much of the boy tbh. if he is at at the level of playing for hamburg (now or potentially) then you wouldn't think rangers would be wanting to let him go, maybe something behind the scenes here? not as if rangers are great at the back. good luck to the boy.

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

They’re 5 points outside the relegation zone with 5 games left - think they will be fine 

They've been flirting with relegation for the last few seasons.  I think this year they'll go down and the clock will stop ticking. 

15 hours ago, wanderer said:

2nd bottom, 5 points off Mainz for the relegation play-off, and 9 points off safety.

Hamburg need 13 points from 5 games to be safe. 10 points from 5 games might be enough for the play-off.

The problem is, they've won only 1 game all season away from home and they have 3 away games still to play.

The way I see it, they're maybe capable of winning 1 away game and 2 home games.

Hamburg are 99.99% relegated already.

But that's not a bad thing for David Bates. He'll get game time, and Bundesliga II is a fairly high standard, and a very competitive league.

German mates of mine reckon that when - not if - Hamburg get relegated there will be absolute mayhem, a good chance the players will be attacked by the fans.

For Bates, it does represent a good opportunity but if HSV don't get off to a good start next season then there will be a really bad atmosphere around the club and probably won't be the most pleasant environment to work in.

For those that aren't aware, HSV are the only club who have played in the top division of the Bundesliga in every season since it was formed in 1963.   There is a clock in the stadium that counts the number of minutes that they have been in the Bundesliga to prove that point - much to the annoyance of every other set of fans.   If - when - they get relegated, it isn't just a bad season it's a major deal.

It won't be necessarily be a case of go down, regroup and come back up.  For every team in Bundesliga 2 - derbys apart - games against HSV will be the biggest games of the season and you can expect the opposition to raise their game accordingly.

I have a pal who's a steward at HSV, the last home game of the season is usually mayhem but she is up to high doe about the end of this season. 

They've been flirting with relegation for the past few seasons. The most memorable was in 2015 when they scored right at the death in the play off.

6 minutes ago, bonzo said:

I have a pal who's a steward at HSV, the last home game of the season is usually mayhem but she is up to high doe about the end of this season. 

They've been flirting with relegation for the past few seasons. The most memorable was in 2015 when they scored right at the death in the play off.

That was the game against Karlsruhe.   As you said, it was right at the death and they scored with a direct free kick from outside the box to take it into extra time which they then won.   It was never a foul for the free kick in a million years.

I've just had a quick look for footage - funnily enough all the clips seem to show the free kick but not the "foul" leading up to it.   Funny that.

Edited by aaid

16 minutes ago, aaid said:

That was the game against Karlsruhe.   As you said, it was right at the death and they scored with a direct free kick from outside the box to take it into extra time which they then won.   It was never a foul for the free kick in a million years.

I've just had a quick look for footage - funnily enough all the clips seem to show the free kick but not the "foul" leading up to it.   Funny that.

That was it. Even last season they beat wolfsburg in the last game (scored late late again)to pull clear of the play offs. 

Edited by bonzo

36 minutes ago, aaid said:

German mates of mine reckon that when - not if - Hamburg get relegated there will be absolute mayhem, a good chance the players will be attacked by the fans.

For Bates, it does represent a good opportunity but if HSV don't get off to a good start next season then there will be a really bad atmosphere around the club and probably won't be the most pleasant environment to work in.

Looking at Bundasliga 2, this year it does not look anywhere near as strong as it has in previous years, with Düsseldorf and Nuremberg fighting it out for the title.

So (on paper) Hamburg should be clear favourites to come straight back up, but as you said, they will be viewed as the prize scalp for a lot of teams next season (especially St Pauli, even though they are flirting with relegation also).

if they go down, Bates should still be playing at a fairly reasonable level, and hopefully consistently.

Great attributes for a defender and when on his game can be outstanding - as referenced the 0-0 old firm game.

Consistency is key however, it's clear at Rangers they are keen to go with more experience even though I don't think Alves or Russel Martin have covered themselves in glory since moving to the SPFL. It could be a great move for him if he can get a run of games.

As far as I've been aware he's never been mentioned for the Scotland squad, but if he can prove himself god knows we need coverage at CB. Good luck to him.

14 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

As far as I've been aware he's never been mentioned for the Scotland squad, but if he can prove himself god knows we need coverage at CB. Good luck to him.

McLeish said had he been fit he would have been in the squad for the games the other week there.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

McLeish said had he been fit he would have been in the squad for the games the other week there.

Ah well there you go!

Hopefully be beneficial for him performance-wise although the 2 debut inclusions at CB in McKenna and Hendry also impressed so if we can get competition there then I;m all for it.

I genuinely think he's absolutely rotten. I'd imagine he'll be a bench-warmer for a Bundesliga 2 team next season. 

Hardly worth getting excited about. Hope he proves me wrong though. 

20 hours ago, LewisEDI said:

strange one this, not seen much of the boy tbh. if he is at at the level of playing for hamburg (now or potentially) then you wouldn't think rangers would be wanting to let him go, maybe something behind the scenes here? not as if rangers are great at the back. good luck to the boy.

Seems Hamburg just wanted him more and were willing to offer more than rangers were.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43757485

4 hours ago, aaid said:

For those that aren't aware, HSV are the only club who have played in the top division of the Bundesliga in every season since it was formed in 1963.   There is a clock in the stadium that counts the number of minutes that they have been in the Bundesliga to prove that point - much to the annoyance of every other set of fans.   If - when - they get relegated, it isn't just a bad season it's a major deal.

It won't be necessarily be a case of go down, regroup and come back up.  For every team in Bundesliga 2 - derbys apart - games against HSV will be the biggest games of the season and you can expect the opposition to raise their game accordingly.

We knocked them out of the UEFA Cup the year they were favourites to win it in 71. :ok:

The recently departed John Lambie playing in both legs.