Nope

44% in last poll

Daae7tXWkAEWXg2.jpg

Edited by Ally Bongo

8 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Nope

44% in last poll

Daae7tXWkAEWXg2.jpg

Yes, I have seen the 44% poll but not 60. If I thought that 60% of Rangers supporters would vote for independance I would call a referendum right now .  

My own personal sampling of friends and colleagues is unfortunately much smaller than that .  Though I dont think for one minute simply supporting Rangers is the reason most of them voted no. 

• 4 weeks later...

Govan HAS frequently voted SNP even when elsewhere wasnt....

On 12 April 2018 at 7:37 AM, TDYER63 said:

Yes, I have seen the 44% poll but not 60. If I thought that 60% of Rangers supporters would vote for independance I would call a referendum right now .  

My own personal sampling of friends and colleagues is unfortunately much smaller than that .  Though I dont think for one minute simply supporting Rangers is the reason most of them voted no. 

There is a sizeable number that buy into the whole identity side of Protestant (but probably never been in a church in years)/Rangers/Britain/pro-Monarchy/pro-Union/SNPBad/anti-Independence that it's hard to know where the motivation starts.   

Personally I hold to the view that if your politics are driven by the football team you support you're an idiot and should think for yourself. 

2 hours ago, aaid said:

There is a sizeable number that buy into the whole identity side of Protestant (but probably never been in a church in years)/Rangers/Britain/pro-Monarchy/pro-Union/SNPBad/anti-Independence that it's hard to know where the motivation starts.   

Personally I hold to the view that if your politics are driven by the football team you support you're an idiot and should think for yourself. 

Unfortunately idiots do not think for themselves, and IMO Rangers have more than a fair share of idiots in their support.

I would not however put the Rangers supporters on this board in that category, regardless of their politics. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2018 at 7:37 AM, TDYER63 said:

Personally I have found quite alot of my rangers supporting mates to be independence supporters but I live in the Highlands and am willing to bet that in alot of places in the west of Scotland and in Ayrshire that there will be higher percentage of rangers fans who are die hard unionists.Saying that I think on a whole there is relatively large minority of rangers fans who are pro indy and I have met plenty from all across Scotland to back this up.

It's a strange situation

John Calvin and John Knox were doing their stuff when Scotland was Independent from England so Protestantism doesnt begin and end with the Union

Think there's been a lot of brainwashing that a lot have bought into

3 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

It's a strange situation

John Calvin and John Knox were doing their stuff when Scotland was Independent from England so Protestantism doesnt begin and end with the Union

I'll hazard a guess that Rangers' overt Unionism has more to do with Northern Ireland politics than Scottish Presbyterian history.

On 5/28/2018 at 6:33 PM, mccaughey85 said:

Personally I have found quite alot of my rangers supporting mates to be independence supporters but I live in the Highlands and am willing to bet that in alot of places in the west of Scotland and in Ayrshire that there will be higher percentage of rangers fans who are die hard unionists.Saying that I think on a whole there is relatively large minority of rangers fans who are pro indy and I have met plenty from all across Scotland to back this up.

I doubt a small sampling anywhere is likely to provide an accurate reflection , and I accept there are pockets in the  West of Scotland where supporters are more likely to be stronger unionists than the average.

It is reassuring to know my own personal experience, which is probably 80/20 against independence,  is not reflective of the Rangers support in general.  

• 6 months later...
On 5/28/2018 at 9:35 PM, Ally Bongo said:

It's a strange situation

Yes, good point. And of course even after the union of the crowns, Scotland remained independent for another century.

Sadly there are some mindless people about. I know one leaflet produced by a Rangers fan in 2014 proclaimed Alex Salmond as an out and out papist, ignoring totally that Alex is a protestant and lifelong fan of protestant Hearts.

For some the truth is irrelevant.