Eric Bristow dies - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Eric Bristow dies

vanderark14

Not sure if he was at the event but it's a shocker

He was the pantomime villain when he played Jocky and i so wanted Jocky to horse him

Little did we know they were actually the best of pals and he was truly gutted when Jocky passed away

He was old school of a certain era and made a few silly remarks a year or so ago not knowing any better - but he always came across as a decent guy in later life particularly when reminiscing about the 80s and 90s

He was also married to Maureen Flowers who was a babe

Edit - sorry Vanderark you are right. He was at the arena

Awful

Edited by Ally Bongo

Sad news. Sat up watching him in a BBC4 documentary on Tuesday night, fascinating stuff. Didn't realise the role he played in starting Phil Taylor's career. The guy was without doubt Mr Darts in the 1980s.

On 05/04/2018 at 10:26 PM, Ally Bongo said:

He was the pantomime villain when he played Jocky and i so wanted Jocky to horse him

Little did we know they were actually the best of pals and he was truly gutted when Jocky passed away

Reminds me of Jim Baxter and Alan Ball - Baxter used to get in about him at Wembley calling him Jimmy Clitheroe, yet I saw an interview with Alan Ball years later and he had a photo of Baxter on the windowsill behind him.

There was a good piece on Bristol on Radio 4’s Last Word programme - made it clear  that he regarded himself as a totally normal guy who happened to be brilliant at darts but didn’t have any airs and graces about it.

13 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

His tweets about the sexual abuse scandal in football would suggest that he didn't "always come across as a decent guy"

That's easy to say and many have on twitter but it's a bit pishy really

It's not as if he went out his way during his life to repeatedly say these things or that was all he talked about

As i said at the time he made those comments - Bristow was from a certain era and from a certain hard background of loudmouth cockneys where that's just the way it was - at a time when there were TV shows that wouldnt be allowed to be broadcast today

His Dad took him to the pub when he was 14 to play darts for money so basically that was all he knew from then on 

Not everyone moves with the times as quickly as everyone else and a lack of education is part of that

He also apologised for his tweets and went in front of the cameras to do it

There are plenty decent guys who are honest and loyal that might have some regressive views

Edited by Ally Bongo

36 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

His tweets about the sexual abuse scandal in football would suggest that he didn't "always come across as a decent guy"

Yes, that's certainly true. I always look to darts players to keep abreast of the current views on sociology,crime and morality. I'm only sorry he wasn't more vocal on string theory and cancer research.

45 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Similar to Ray Wilkins, who did seem to be a nice guy, but I haven't seen much mention of his multiple drink driving bans since he died.

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Similar to Ray Wilkins, who did seem to be a nice guy, but I haven't seen much mention of his multiple drink driving bans since he died.

Can I copyright  ' n Dec'. As in Saturday Night with 'n Dec'

Edited by Eisegerwind

18 hours ago, Toepoke said:

who was going to mention them kirsty Gallacher?