Callum Paterson - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Callum Paterson

bluebird27

46 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Danny mcgrain was an attacking right back... he could defend properly though.

62 games without a goal without a goal for Scotland and a goal every 100 games or so for Celtic, hardly attacking. He got up the pitch from time to time and was one of the first players to really overlap but he was one of the greatest defenders ever and that is what he is remembered for.

33 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

62 games without a goal without a goal for Scotland and a goal every 100 games or so for Celtic, hardly attacking. He got up the pitch from time to time and was one of the first players to really overlap but he was one of the greatest defenders ever and that is what he is remembered for.

Just because he didn’t put the ball in the net doesn’t stop him from being attacking...  my memory of him was as an overlapping full back...   Wikipedia would agree....

By the mid 1970s McGrain was considered by many to be one of the best full-backs in the world.[6][13] He played as what is known today as an attacking full-back and contributed significantly in both attacking moves as well as in defence.[5] His abilities included a burst of speed, skill and control on the ball, vision and anticipation and, when required, a strong but fair sliding tackle

55 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Aye he was nae Calum Paterson. 

Thought earlier this season Paterson could make the right back/right wing back position his own but after watching him for Scotland and Cardiff recently I don’t think he’s got the defensive or techinical ability to play there. A lot of our players are technical and like to play with the ball on the ground...that’s very different to how Cardiff play. He’s probably valuable to have in the squad due to his versatility and physicality but he shouldn’t be starting for Scotland if we want to play with the ball on the ground. 

Ryan Fraser and Forrest can both play wing back...that’s good enough for me at the moment, we’re trying to make 352 work. And in the future someone like McKenna might just pop up. Might be McCrorie as a right back. 

Get Paterson on when we’re desperate for a goal and need to change our system. 

7 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Ryan Fraser and Forrest can both play wing back...that’s good enough for me at the moment, we’re trying to make 352 work. And in the future someone like McKenna might just pop up. Might be McCrorie as a right back. 

3-5-2 to me is the problem, we have two great left backs so we play without a left back. Instead we play with half the team out of position. I find it odd that every one opting for 4-4-2 has Robertson as left midfield I think Teirney is a more adaptable player and Robertson might even be the better left back.

40 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

3-5-2 to me is the problem, we have two great left backs so we play without a left back. Instead we play with half the team out of position. I find it odd that every one opting for 4-4-2 has Robertson as left midfield I think Teirney is a more adaptable player and Robertson might even be the better left back.

4-4-2 is interesting. I agree with you that arguably Tierney and Robertson are our best 2 players, and we should have both in the team. I would play them both on the left and allow them to interchange their defensive and midfield duties, each covering the other as they get their opportunities to get forward. Right back is the big question mark - I'll stop fishing about Paterson as a right back, but there's one guy who doesn't seem to be quoted - apart from O'Donnell - and that's Darren Fletcher. I actually thought he might be playing as a centre half by now, but he certainly spent time playing as a traditional right back for Man Utd under Ferguson.

15 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

See that's your opinion, but for a right back to get himself into those midfield and forward areas to get amongst the goals......he must have some engine to get himself back into his actual right back berth. He could end up our best right back since the days of Jardine and McGrain.

How is any of what i said opinion?
Where he's playing is a fact. How many goals he's scored from those positions is a fact.
Opinion doesn't come into it.
Like.. he's a Cardiff player, not a Hearts player. That's not 'my opinion', that's reality.

I'll add my opinion now, that you need to get away from this idea that players are their first position.
There's countless examples up and down the leagues of players who started in one position and found they were better suited to another. Most obvious one that comes to mind is Gareth Bale. He was a left back. No one would play him left back any more, and he mostly plays right wing for Real (but also left wing and as a number 10).

Paterson used to be a right back, but it seems as he's stepped up a level in terms of the quality of opposition he and his manager have said he's not good enough defensively. He is however hard working, athletic and has an eye for a goal, which makes him a decent shout in midfield, and he seems to be excelling at it.

Bearing in mind that if you took Mulgrew and Robertson out of the last squad it had a grand total of 1 goal in it when it was named.. we could use a goal scoring midfielder. I'd give him a go there in the next two friendlies and see if he can carry it over.

20 hours ago, dieselarmy said:

I've always thought that he's a very poor footballer, and the outing against Costa Rica only reinforced that opinion. Don't get me wrong, he's got some really effective attributes - he's big, strong, athletic and has an eye for goal - but technically and tactically I've always thought he was lightyears away from being international standard.

16 hours ago, wee-toon-red said:

From what I’ve seen of Paterson, he’s the absolute stereotype English championship player. Big, strong, good in the air and a bit of an athlete. Kinda dire technical attributes and won’t get a sniff of the team next season if they were to go up.

11 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Thought earlier this season Paterson could make the right back/right wing back position his own but after watching him for Scotland and Cardiff recently I don’t think he’s got the defensive or techinical ability to play there. A lot of our players are technical and like to play with the ball on the ground...that’s very different to how Cardiff play. He’s probably valuable to have in the squad due to his versatility and physicality but he shouldn’t be starting for Scotland if we want to play with the ball on the ground. 

I agree with all of the above.

Paterson is big, strong, athletic, good in the air, scores goals, and creates chances.

But he isn't a good enough defender to play in defence, and he isn't good enough technically to play in midfield. 

Unless McLeish is desperate to fit him in due to his goal threat, it's hard to see him getting many starts for Scotland.

5 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

4-4-2 is interesting. I agree with you that arguably Tierney and Robertson are our best 2 players, and we should have both in the team. I would play them both on the left and allow them to interchange their defensive and midfield duties, each covering the other as they get their opportunities to get forward. Right back is the big question mark - I'll stop fishing about Paterson as a right back, but there's one guy who doesn't seem to be quoted - apart from O'Donnell - and that's Darren Fletcher. I actually thought he might be playing as a centre half by now, but he certainly spent time playing as a traditional right back for Man Utd under Ferguson.

No chance at his age he’ll have the energy to get up and down the park as a right back.

14 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Get Paterson on when we’re desperate for a goal and need to change our system. 

I tend to agree Paterson would be good for the squad but not a starter. He can cover several positions and could probably be thrown on as an auxiliary striker in the last few minutes if we need a goal via route one.

4 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

No chance at his age he’ll have the energy to get up and down the park as a right back.

If he allows us to play Fraser, Burke, or Forrest as a winger and not a wing back I could handle it. Actually if we have a young centre half then it’s maybe no bad thing to have the likes of Fletcher beside him. If we were playing a back 4 and looking for our left back to get forward then it could be Mulgrew that covers out left and Fletcher would go in beside McKenna/Hendry. In the absence of an *actual* right back, I think we could do worse.

18 hours ago, davew said:

Experimenting with right backs is probably something we need to do. Not sure right back would suit Fletcher though. I think we could try Fraser, Forrest, Phillips, or even McArthur.

Phillips? Forrest? Geez a toke of what you’re smoking. What’s Fletcher got to do with anything? 

3 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

I honestly wouldn’t be averse to trying him as a target man striker, doubt he’d lose a header in the box.

You say that but he gave away a foul almost every time he went for the ball in the air against Costa Rica. 

4 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

I honestly wouldn’t be averse to trying him as a target man striker, doubt he’d lose a header in the box.

Failing that, trying him instead of Hanley at RCB might be where he fits in.

No way is he a centre half... he can’t defend

16 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

Failing that, trying him instead of Hanley at RCB might be where he fits in.

Why not just stick him in goals? 

• 5 weeks later...

Fantastic day at Cardiff City Stadium yesterday and brilliant to seal promotion back to the PL.

Patterson again was superb in midfield and great to see him going up. He deserves his shot at the PL as he’s been arguably Cardiff’s best signing this season. I think he’ll do well.

Also got voted City’s young player of the year last night to cap off a tremendous season.

Colin is definitely getting the best out of him.