Centre Backs. - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Centre Backs.

marinello

On 3/29/2018 at 3:06 PM, marinello said:

I appreciate the picture is looking brighter with the form of Mc Kenna and Hendry plus the experience of Mulgrew.

But with question marks hanging over Hanley, Martin, Souttar , Berra and Lindsay I dont think it would be unreasonable for Mc Leish to be looking at Tom Aldred of Motherwell for the games in May/June.

His attributes centre on his no nonsense approach and solid dependability which have been vital to Motherwell`s recovery since he came up from Bury in January. Add to this he is only 27.

BTW before anyone questions his Scottish credentials please note that his mum is Scottish. 

He is worth a shout I feel.

Can you expand on why Aldred would be a better option than Lindsay or Soutta? I don't understand what 'question marks' they have that Aldred doesn't.

Aldred is 'only' 27, I assume you think that is a positive in his favour? , Souttar is 21 and Lindsay 22.

Mulgrew still worth a squad place imo. The defence wasn't the issue in the friendlies. He was arguably our player of the past campaign after Griffiths. I do agree tho that if McKenna & Tierney kick on he may struggle to get a game soon. 

3 hours ago, Eastiebeastie said:

Mulgrew still worth a squad place imo. The defence wasn't the issue in the friendlies. He was arguably our player of the past campaign after Griffiths. I do agree tho that if McKenna & Tierney kick on he may struggle to get a game soon. 

He was arguably our weakest player against Hungary which is hardly what you’re looking for from your captain. One semi-poor game is hardly reason to drop him though and McLeish obviously rates him by the look of it.

Something about having a central defender who is used to playing in the third tier of English football and could potentially come up against Ronaldo or Morata etc in the Euro 2020 qualifiers  makes me nervous though.

His man bun is a national embarrassment as well. :lol:

On 31/03/2018 at 11:15 AM, Tartan Chris said:

Never did Alan Hutton any harm.

Hutton was actually a very good defender in his youth. He got carried away with the attacking side of things as he got older. 

8 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

He was arguably our weakest player against Hungary which is hardly what you’re looking for from your captain. One semi-poor game is hardly reason to drop him though and McLeish obviously rates him by the look of it.

Something about having a central defender who is used to playing in the third tier of English football and could potentially come up against Ronaldo or Morata etc in the Euro 2020 qualifiers  makes me nervous though.

His man bun is a national embarrassment as well. :lol:

He was the weakest player perhaps, but the strongest part of the team was possibly the defence.A lot of us praising McKenna as the real find from the friendlies, but would he have performed as well in an inexperienced back 3 or with Berra instead of Mulgrew? I don't think his job was just to defend.

With you on the man bun though

6 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Boyd 

try watching Brazils 2nd goal in 98

Hendry was a bit of a carthorse tbh ; but folk had the blinkers on with all the braveheart nonsense

Hendry was instrumental in Blackburn winning the premier league in 95 and played for years there in the English top flight. Guy was a decent CB, maybe not a world class one but he was reasonably solid at international level. Calderwood was decent as well. What we would give to have them two these days.

Just now, Ormond said:

Bile? Hardly. :lol:

Arrogant cunt, man bun jibes. 

Hardly complimentary. 

Don't get me wrong he didn't have a good night in Budapest but some of the sheep on here are incapable of leaving the club stuff alone 🙄

Just now, slasher said:

Hardly complimentary. 

Don't get me wrong he didn't have a good night in Budapest but some of the sheep on here are incapable of leaving the club stuff alone 🙄

The two man bun jibes I saw came from two guys who aren’t Dons. Here’s a third tae. Me. Man buns are generally found upon arseholes. :D

15 minutes ago, slasher said:

Hardly complimentary. 

I mentioned his man bun as it was funny and I am a humorous fucker. 

Have you had a sense of humour bypass?

I’m certainly not an Aberdeen fan and don’t have a problem with Mulgrew as a person or even as a footballer for that matter. He’s past his best and he won’t be playing for us much longer and is playing at a level which, in my opinion, is too low for a Scotland international. 

I wouldn’t class what I’ve said about him as ‘bile’ and can’t see anyone else posting bile about him (on this thread anyway).

The guy has been a decent servant for us and if he’s the best we’ve got at the moment then so be it but he’ll be 34 by the time the qualifiers start and we need to start looking to the future. 

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I mentioned his man bun as it was funny and I am a humorous fucker. 

Have you had a sense of humour bypass?

I’m certainly not an Aberdeen fan and don’t have a problem with Mulgrew as a person or even as a footballer for that matter. He’s past his best and he won’t be playing for us much longer and is playing at a level which, in my opinion, is too low for a Scotland international. 

I wouldn’t class what I’ve said about him as ‘bile’ and can’t see anyone else posting bile about him (on this thread anyway).

The guy has been a decent servant for us and if he’s the best we’ve got at the moment then so be it but he’ll be 34 by the time the qualifiers start and we need to start looking to the future. 

I seriously doubt that you are a 'humorous fucker' if this post is anything to go by. 😏

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He was the weakest player perhaps, but the strongest part of the team was possibly the defence.A lot of us praising McKenna as the real find from the friendlies, but would he have performed as well in an inexperienced back 3 or with Berra instead of Mulgrew? I don't think his job was just to defend.

With you on the man bun though

He made a glaring errror (two if you count the penalty miss) so he probably stands out as being quite weak but apart from a shite attempt at goal he did little else wrong. 

I would worry about him coming up against better strikers next year though and if he is still playing in English League One at 34, I would prefer a different defender. Berra though? Not sure. 

A lot can happen in international football in a year and we could have a completely different central defence by the time the qualifiers start. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

He made a glaring errror (two if you count the penalty miss) so he probably stands out as being quite weak but apart from a shite attempt at goal he did little else wrong. 

I would worry about him coming up against better strikers next year though and if he is still playing in English League One at 34, I would prefer a different defender. Berra though? Not sure. 

A lot can happen in international football in a year and we could have a completely different central defence by the time the qualifiers start. 

Aye you're funny as fuck :spin:

7 minutes ago, slasher said:

I seriously doubt that you are a 'humorous fucker' if this post is anything to go by. 😏

It wasn’t a humorous post so your logic makes about as much sense as your previous post.

You should see my stand up. 

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say you have a man bun? Has a nerve been touched? :lol: