Starting Line-Up V Hungary - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting Line-Up V Hungary

Caledonian Craig

18 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

First time I'd really watched him play. Impressive. Touch of the Gary Gillespie about him.

Yes, only seen the boy play for Dundee (impressed with him then)  and Celtic on the TV. I was responding to a post that said he shouldn't even be in the squad. The post was made before the match started, think that came back and bit the poster in the arse.

6 hours ago, thelonehutch said:

Mulgrew was excellent! His experience helped McKenna and Hendry have good games. 

Lay off the drugs, mate. He was our worst player. 

Not knocking Allan McGregor at all but really can’t see what we learnt by playing a 34 year old with 30/40 caps

There was two friendlies and two untried, inexperienced goalkeepers. Should there be any injuries in that department to the likes of Gordon, Marshall and McGregor in the next campaign then we can’t use the excuse of not having any international experienced goalkeepers 

This double header was an ideal chance to give both Archer and McGlaughlin a game each and get a little bit of game time under their belts 

3 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Not knocking Allan McGregor at all but really can’t see what we learnt by playing a 34 year old with 30/40 caps

There was two friendlies and two untried, inexperienced goalkeepers. Should there be any injuries in that department to the likes of Gordon, Marshall and McGregor in the next campaign then we can’t use the excuse of not having any international experienced goalkeepers 

This double header was an ideal chance to give both Archer and McGlaughlin a game each and get a little bit of game time under their belts 

Didn't get that at all.

McGregor is 36 which is pushing it even for a goalkeeper

4 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

it makes sense to have an experienced keeper of trying out inexperienced defenders. Plus we did need to win.

That is no doubt the thinking, I just don't think it's  correct.

Don't fancy giving a keeper a debut in any of our next three friendlies, which could lead to us having to bring one in for any of the qualifiers.

Doubt if Marshall will ever make a squad again and would be surprised if Gordon is first choice at Parkhead next season.

5 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Doubt if Marshall will ever make a squad again

How so? Still only 33, plenty of time for him to get a regular club game and rediscover a bit of form.

Totally understand giving McGregor the gloves last night. We had an inexperienced defence and it was very important to secure that result. He helped us achieve it with his 2nd half performance.

18 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

How so? Still only 33, plenty of time for him to get a regular club game and rediscover a bit of form.

Totally understand giving McGregor the gloves last night. We had an inexperienced defence and it was very important to secure that result. He helped us achieve it with his 2nd half performance.

Would say Marshall was the worst of our 30+ keepers and heaven help us if the long term plan is to play which ever of our 30+ keepers is in the best form.

When would you suggest blooding new keepers? In a must win game or a can't win game. If a friendly is now categorised as must win.............................................

8 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

When would you suggest blooding new keepers? In a must win game or a can't win game. If a friendly is now categorised as must win.............................................

I think the summer tour will be a good opportunity to give other keepers a half, now that McLeish has bagged that first win.

48 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

That's the important part, they went on till they were 40 because they were great. They didn't suddenly become great after turning 30.

McGregor is a good keeper. He’s on form and his performance last night warranted his inclusion. McLeish needed the win and you could see McGregor speaking to the young lads throughout which obviously helped. 

There’s now plenty of time to try younger keepers. That said, jury very much still out on Jon McLaughlin - every time I’ve seen him he’s been poor. 

51 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I think the summer tour will be a good opportunity to give other keepers a half, now that McLeish has bagged that first win.

I really hope we don't take the results of the upcoming friendlies seriously, I can see us losing both 3-0, 4-0.

One thing that will be very, very interesting is who turns up. Won't blame Archer if he doesn't.

Edit that thought he had been called up a lot more than he has.

Edited by ceudmilefailte

17 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Think Hendry proved he deserved his place in the squad,

Too early to say

Remember, he was released by Wigan. I don't think it was because they couldn't afford his wages. Good luck to him, God knows we need some good centre half's, but last night was an initiation, a fairly easy one at that.

Will Hendry be in the Celtic side next season?  I can see them spending big to bolster their defence which looks a bit ropey at times and can't see their fans accepting the gap closing any tighter.  Spending big usually means going foreign as well although Rodgers has done more than some of their recent managers to nurture young Scottish talent.  They're miles away from a breakthrough in CL terms though.  Hopefully he'll stay in their side and continue to develop.

32 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Will Hendry be in the Celtic side next season?  I can see them spending big to bolster their defence which looks a bit ropey at times and can't see their fans accepting the gap closing any tighter.  Spending big usually means going foreign as well although Rodgers has done more than some of their recent managers to nurture young Scottish talent.  They're miles away from a breakthrough in CL terms though.  Hopefully he'll stay in their side and continue to develop.

I think he'll get his chance at Celtic, especially with performances like last night. I think Rodgers said in a recent interview that he prefers player development rather than trophies! Even though Celtic have a ropey looking defence, they have only conceaded 20 goals in the league. I'm sure Hendry has only played 2 or 3 times though so here's hoping that he muscles his way into the first 11

2 hours ago, losinkiltpins said:

Too early to say

Remember, he was released by Wigan. I don't think it was because they couldn't afford his wages. Good luck to him, God knows we need some good centre half's, but last night was an initiation, a fairly easy one at that.

Peter Beardsley was released by Man Utd, didn't have a bad career.

Matt Holland released by West Ham went on to captain the Republic of Ireland in the World Cup finals.

I appreciate that both Man Utd and West Ham are a bit above Wigan but sometimes players that are freed turn out to do okay.  It's too early in Hendry's career to judge what will happen but hopefully in a few years time Lactics fans will be wondering who on earth let him go.

15 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Peter Beardsley was released by Man Utd, didn't have a bad career.

Matt Holland released by West Ham went on to captain the Republic of Ireland in the World Cup finals.

I appreciate that both Man Utd and West Ham are a bit above Wigan but sometimes players that are freed turn out to do okay.  It's too early in Hendry's career to judge what will happen but hopefully in a few years time Lactics fans will be wondering who on earth let him go.

There was another guy let go at 15 by Celtic for being too wee.  His name was Andy Robertson.  Wonder what happened to him?

3 hours ago, losinkiltpins said:

Too early to say

I agree  it could be early days. Fingers crossed he will continue to develop like a few others who played last night.

11 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Yes, only seen the boy play for Dundee (impressed with him then)  and Celtic on the TV. I was responding to a post that said he shouldn't even be in the squad. The post was made before the match started, think that came back and bit the poster in the arse.

I don't think it did. He played OK in a very comfortable defence against a very poor attack. 

He wasn't bad but he didn't stand out. 

Now I'll confess to only having seen him a handful of times at Dundee and Celtic but he didn't stand out for them either. In fact his games for Celtic have been poor so far. 

I think he only got the cap because he's at Celtic and I think there are others that have played better for longer that were overlooked. 

Hopefully he'll turn out to be a phenomenal player (after Celtic punt him for buttons 😉) but I haven't seen anything that supports the hype so far. 

36 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I don't think it did. He played OK in a very comfortable defence against a very poor attack. 

He wasn't bad but he didn't stand out. 

Now I'll confess to only having seen him a handful of times at Dundee and Celtic but he didn't stand out for them either. In fact his games for Celtic have been poor so far. 

I think he only got the cap because he's at Celtic and I think there are others that have played better for longer that were overlooked. 

Hopefully he'll turn out to be a phenomenal player (after Celtic punt him for buttons 😉) but I haven't seen anything that supports the hype so far. 

Respect your opinion. We will see how the boy develops.