Starting Line-Up V Hungary - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting Line-Up V Hungary

Caledonian Craig

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Why is Hendry even in the squad? I've seen Dundee play Rangers with him in the team and he didn't stand out. 

Seen him a couple of times for Celtic and he's been poor. 

If either Bates or McRorie were fit he'd be behind them and Souttar or Berra from Hearts have been better this season. 

Doubt we'll get a result with this team. 

Think Hendry proved he deserved his place in the squad,

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

He’s Blackburn’s penalty taker so why shouldn’t he have taken it?

If he’d have scored nobody would be questioning it. 

But he didn't score, he missed and took a very poor penalty so it deserves questioning

13 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Think Hendry proved he deserved his place in the squad,

Did he? 

He had absolutely no pressure on him. His pace helped a few times when either he or Mulgrew were out of position but Hungary were very poor in the forward areas. 

McKenna was the best of the 3 centre backs and Calum McGregor was man of the match for me. 

The auld McGregor did well too. 😀 

8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

But he didn't score, he missed and took a very poor penalty so it deserves questioning

I prefer strikers to take penalties but if you're confident and capable then there's no reason not to. 

1 minute ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Did he? 

He had absolutely no pressure on him. His pace helped a few times when either he or Mulgrew were out of position but Hungary were very poor in the forward areas. 

McKenna was the best of the 3 centre backs and Calum McGregor was man of the match for me. 

The auld McGregor did well too. 😀 

I think he did. Maybe not a starter but good enough for the squad just now.

7 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

One penalty miss deserves questioning?

If someone else, who isn’t one of their club’s penalty takers, had taken it and missed some people would have asked why the captain (who does take penalties for his club) didn’t step up. 

All penalty takers miss now and again. Let’s not overreact here. 

I have a feeling that Griffiths would normally take our penalties when fit anyway so hopefully Mulgrew won’t need to take another one. 

Just now, Texas Pete said:

One penalty miss deserves questioning?

If someone else, who isn’t one of their club’s penalty takers, had taken it and missed some people would have asked why the captain (who does take penalties for his club) didn’t step up. 

All penalty takers miss now and again. Let’s not overreact here. 

I have a feeling that Griffiths would normally take our penalties when fit anyway so hopefully Mulgrew won’t need to take another one. 

Nobody is overreacting, his penalty was shite so he’s being criticised for it. 

I don’t think mulgrew should be in the squad let alone start or be captain. He was poor on Friday and poor tonight, I really hope he’s a stop gap till Berra and Tierney come back.

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

Nobody is overreacting, his penalty was shite so he’s being criticised for it. 

I don’t think mulgrew should be in the squad let alone start or be captain. He was poor on Friday and poor tonight, I really hope he’s a stop gap till Berra and Tierney come back.

There’s nothing wrong with criticising a shite penalty but some people are saying he definitely shouldn’t have taken it as if he always takes shite penalties or something. He’s a solid penalty taker who happens to have taken a poor one tonight.

It’s unlikely that McLeish has made a stop gap captain for the last two games. Berra isn’t injured so he’s either been dropped because McLeish wants to go in another direction at the back or he just wanted a look at younger players instead. If McLeish preferred Berra to Mulgrew then I think Berra would have been in the squad and Mulgrew wouldn’t have been.