Starting Line-Up V Hungary - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Starting Line-Up V Hungary

Caledonian Craig

I think Eck will make a few changes for Tuesday's friendly v Hungary but do think he'll stick with a similar system. McGregor will probably be replaced by Archer or McLaughlin I don't think we'll see Andrew Robertson who played the full 90 minutes on Friday. I can see him being replaced by Barry Douglas. Also we may see Hendry coming in to replace either McKenna or Hanley. In midfield I can see starting places going to Armstrong, Forrest and maybe Fraser.

I see the line-up as being something like this:-

McLaughlin

Douglas

Hanley

Mulgrew

Hendry

Paterson

Fraser

Armstrong

Cairney

Forrest

McBurnie

McLeish said in his interview yesterday that Hanley can't play two games in a row because of his shin splints so he'll definitely drop out.

I'd be happy to give McTominay another run out but McGregor and Fraser need brought in, we seriously lacked the ability to carry the ball up the park quickly on Friday. Even Forrest might have made a difference.

22 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I really hope we see Fraser get some game time, he's another with great potential

I would assume if he wasn't fit enough he'd have been sent home by now so it would be good for him to get a game.  One of our problems by all accounts was our final ball and Fraser's good on that.

McGregor

Hendry, Mulgrew, McKenna, Robertson

McTominay

Forrest, Mcginn, Armstrong

Cummings

Would Like to see McKenna again, played decent and needs to get experience.  Also Hendry has played right back for celtic last two games, lets see how he does.

Think McTominay will make a great shielding defensive midfielder.

Like Cummings up front, seems to have a scoring ratio to shots and I like his confidence.

Reckon this is our strongest midfield, mcginn is better centrally no?

1 hour ago, FANDABBYDOZZY said:

I think go out to win this game with the next 2 friendliest being against stronger opposition or he’ll get a hard time from the fans  so I expect he’ll play his strongest 11 &  leave any debuts till the last 10 minutes

Going by McLeish’s post game comments he’s not bothered about results at this stage and would have called up McCarthur   and a few others if he was only trying to win these two games. 

I would like to see us get at least a draw on Tuesday though as we could end up losing 6 games on the bounce. I certainly can’t see us getting anything from Peru, Mexico or Belgium. Losing 6 friendlies in a row wouldn’t be the disaster it would have been in the past since the world rankings won’t affect the pots for the European Championship qualifiers but it will hardly do our confidence any good going into the Albania game. 

24 minutes ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

Would Like to see McKenna again, played decent and needs to get experience.  Also Hendry has played right back for celtic last two games, lets see how he does.

Last qualifiers Strachan stuck with Berra and Mulgrew as CH.  I'm a bit surprised McLeish didn't pick Berra, does he see McKenna as a replacement for him or will he continue his experiment with a three?

Ideally Paterson won't be right back and it may well be that McLeish sees Tierney in that position similarly to Strachan's last selections.  If Tierney is injured however then it would be useful to see how Hendry would acquit himself, given that Bardsley is out the picture and we don't really have anyone else.

I really think we need to win this game. We've just lost 2 in a row. The 2 summer games will be very tricky (end of season v highly motivated, decent sides) and the Belgium at home before the Albania match. If we lose this we could easily go into the Nations League with 6 defeats in a row.

With that in mind...

..........................McGregor

Paterson...McKenna...Mulgrew...Robertson

.........Armstrong...Cairney...McGregor

Forrest...............McBurnie..............Fraser

6 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I really think we need to win this game. We've just lost 2 in a row. The 2 summer games will be very tricky (end of season v highly motivated, decent sides) and the Belgium at home before the Albania match. If we lose this we could easily go into the Nations League with 6 defeats in a row.

With that in mind...

..........................McGregor

Paterson...McKenna...Mulgrew...Robertson

.........Armstrong...Cairney...McGregor

Forrest...............McBurnie..............Fraser

That’s a decent team on paper anyway. 

2 hours ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

McGregor

McTominay

Cummings

Like Cummings up front, seems to have a scoring ratio to shots and I like his confidence.

Cummings. Fuck me that's depressing. 

I'm hoping he tries some more guys and/or gives a 2nd cap to some of the new starts but not almost all in midfield like the Costa Rica game.

Defo should have either Armstrong or McGinn starting.

I'd like to see both new keepers get a half each.

1 hour ago, bigfingers said:

That’s a decent team on paper anyway. 

It’s like playing with ten men when Forrest plays, despite what pasta says. 

———————archer or McGregor

Paterson McKenna mulgrew Robertson

———————McTominey 

fraser Armstrong Mcginn McGregor 

——————-mcburnie

i wouldn’t have forrest or Cairney In there. 

IMO McGinn should ABSOLUTELY start each game.

He's no Usian Bolt, but he's not slow either. He's intelligent. He can see and make a defence splitting pass. He has the passion and energy to take no shit from the opposition. He doesn't lie down. He doesn't take being pushed around. He doesn't let himself be dominated. We need someone to do all of that and set an example for the rest of the team.

But he's lacking international game time, so play him as much as possible and increase his experience/confidence.

Does anyone agree?

Or am I just nuts?

1 minute ago, DizzyVizion said:

IMO McGinn should ABSOLUTELY start each game.

He's no Usian Bolt, but he's not slow either. He's intelligent. He can see and make a defence splitting pass. He has the passion and energy to take no shit from the opposition. He doesn't lie down. He doesn't take being pushed around. He doesn't let himself be dominated. We need someone to do all of that and set an example for the rest of the team.

But he's lacking international game time, so play him as much as possible and increase his experience/confidence.

Does anyone agree?

Or am I just nuts?

I agree completely, one thing we’ve lacked is energy and determination, he would proved some.

I wouldn't mind something like this:

Archer

Paterson - Hendry - Mulgrew - Douglas

Fraser - McTominay - McGinn - Robertson

Forrest

Cummings

Give Archer, Douglas and Hendry their first caps, try out Robertson in a more advanced role and have Forrest in a free role in the attacking midfield position.

5 hours ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

McGregor

McTominay

Cummings

Is that not only ten players!?