Big eck's post match press conference - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Big eck's post match press conference

Ambassador

McLeish was correct to lament first half lack of pressing, plus inability to pick up the runner for their goal. However he failed to take responsibility for former by fielding a defensive line-up with 3 central defenders protected by 2 holding midfielders which handed the midfield possession to Costa Rica. In speculating the team, most fans picked either McTominay or MacDonald in a holding role, but virtually nobody picked both! Ritchie and Cairney spent most of their time chasing, and I felt especially sorry for latter as he did not get the opportunity to show his skill in attack. McBurnie was pressing all right, but his effort was in vain as he was isolated with nobody backing him up, and it was easy for their defenders to pass around him. The second half was much better with the high energy and forward running of Armstrong and McGregor.

As for playing a back 3, I do not think this is a good idea for Scotland as it implies 3 good central defenders and two wing-backs. Central defense is a problem area for us, and though Robertson (and Kierney when fit) are great wingbacks on the left, Patterson is not at the same level on the right. Patterson is a good player who deserves his place, but on the right it would be much better to also have Forrest in a more forward position running at defenses. Man marking seems to have gone out of fashion, but with 3 central defenders and 2 holding midfielders there is no excuse for not picking up the runner.

So I think the formation was wrong, especially in the first half. As for personnel MacDonald looks too slow for international football. McTominay did not impress either, but he is young and possesses great physical attributes. Cairney had a poor game, but is a great talent and I hope he gets another chance. Matt Ritchie is not my favorite, as he cannot beat a man and is also too slow for international football. As for Matt Phillips the less said the better - There is no way he is a striker, plus he fails to put any pressure on defenders.

1 hour ago, HighlandScot said:

As for playing a back 3, I do not think this is a good idea for Scotland as it implies 3 good central defenders and two wing-backs. Central defense is a problem area for us, and though Robertson (and Kierney when fit) are great wingbacks on the left, Patterson is not at the same level on the right. Patterson is a good player who deserves his place, but on the right it would be much better to also have Forrest in a more forward position running at defenses. Man marking seems to have gone out of fashion, but with 3 central defenders and 2 holding midfielders there is no excuse for not picking up the runner.

The problem is that both Robertson and Tierney are very attack-minded - too much so to play a holding typ role as right or left-backs which you'd normally expect from them. Their natural game is to attack more so than defend so a wing-back system certainly suits them more I would say. I do take your point about lack of central defenders but we know Mulgrew and Berra can do a job for us and McKenna was no disaster last night plus there is Hanley and one or two others waiting in the wings for a centre-back spot.

3 hours ago, HighlandScot said:

McLeish was correct to lament first half lack of pressing, plus inability to pick up the runner for their goal. However he failed to take responsibility for former by fielding a defensive line-up with 3 central defenders protected by 2 holding midfielders which handed the midfield possession to Costa Rica. In speculating the team, most fans picked either McTominay or MacDonald in a holding role, but virtually nobody picked both! Ritchie and Cairney spent most of their time chasing, and I felt especially sorry for latter as he did not get the opportunity to show his skill in attack. McBurnie was pressing all right, but his effort was in vain as he was isolated with nobody backing him up, and it was easy for their defenders to pass around him. The second half was much better with the high energy and forward running of Armstrong and McGregor.

So I think the formation was wrong, especially in the first half. As for personnel MacDonald looks too slow for international football. McTominay did not impress either, but he is young and possesses great physical attributes. Cairney had a poor game, but is a great talent and I hope he gets another chance. Matt Ritchie is not my favorite, as he cannot beat a man and is also too slow for international football. As for Matt Phillips the less said the better - There is no way he is a striker, plus he fails to put any pressure on defenders.

Paterson was ok, but i’d like to see some other options on the right. Docherty as a right wing back, if we persist with 3 at the back, is worth looking at. He’s unbelievably quick and athletic and has quicker feet than Paterson, albeit he offers less of a threat in the air.