Match Thread - Costa Rica - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Match Thread - Costa Rica

Clyde1998

Guest allyc

Moaning cos we have witnessed about 5 false dawns in the last 20 years...i would like to see indications that we might have learnt something and the time spent following scotland would  be rewarded...things were improving under strachan and i dont want to see us regress yet again...the first half was below the level expected for scotland and the application of certain individuals was unacceptable.

Edited by allyc

There were some decent moments, but our final ball was terrible again and we are seriously struggling to find a good striker (outwith Griffiths - and who knows if he'll be as good when he is back). We concede too many goals as well, often from defending errors - not clearing lines etc, although their goal was well deserved on Friday.

A draw probably would have been a fair result. And there was an improvement in the second half.

Hungary look to have dipped a lot since Euro 2016 so we might well see a decent performance on Sunday. There is no embarrassment about the result and Costa Rica are a better team than us. The likes of  Hungary, Israel, Albania are about our level , IMO- and we'll find out throughout the year if we are any better than them. 

I'm not overly excited about McLeish being back, but lets see how things go in Budapest. I'd never want to see friendlies are a waste of time, but they seem to be when it involves us. Before the Euros when we played Italy and France were absolutely desperate ; but we did go on a great run after that which seen us missing out on the playoffs by a point. 

On 24/03/2018 at 9:23 AM, Orraloon said:

A 1-0 defeat to Costa Rica isn't a bad result. They are a good side. It was basically a Scotland B team but I'm not sure our A team is much better. Costa Rica are a decent side. I think some folk have forgotten that, 4 years ago, they finish top of "the group of death" containing Italy, Uruguay and England. Then went out on penalties in the QF. I don't know if they played their A team or B team last night, but I think their D team would give us a good game.

Good or decent? Make your mind up.

It's a pity McLeish hadn't been in place before these games were organised. I'm sure he wouldn't have chosen to play these teams if it had been up to him. We could easily end up with 4 straight defeats which won't do our confidence any good.

12 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

It's a pity McLeish hadn't been in place before these games were organised. I'm sure he wouldn't have chosen to play these teams if it had been up to him. We could easily end up with 4 straight defeats which won't do our confidence any good.

5 - Belgium in Sept too.

8 minutes ago, fringo said:

5 - Belgium in Sept too.

6. Holland last November. 

When was the last time we lost 6 games in a row? Has it ever happened?

Hopefully we’ll get a result on Tuesday. Hungary are a poor side. They lost at home to Kazakhstan on Friday. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Hopefully we’ll get a result on Tuesday. Hungary are a poor side. They lost at home to Kazakhstan on Friday. 

:(

29 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Expecting McLeish to treat this game differently - as in more focused on getting a win than blooding new players.

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Steady on we're only 2 games in to the 6. 

13 hours ago, Dave78 said:

As for the rugby, i've wondered about this for a while. My best guess is that the rugby lads are more of a 'team' if you like. That's why they do all that homo-erotic bonding shite. They know their putting their bodies on the line, and feel like they're going to war. A patriotic anthem which they all sing together (again, more bonding) helps them commit to the game ahead.

Just a theory....

The rugby boy give it laldy because they are trying to prove something. Not to anyone other than themselves mind you. No voting parasites

17 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

That's the spirit!

There’s a good possibility it could happen. If you can’t see that then yer deluded.

In fairness, Hungary are rotten so we’ve a good chance on Tuesday. If we do lose though then are you confident we won’t lose our next three against better opposition than the previous three teams? 

Whoever agreed to these friendlies this year needs kicked squarely in the nuts. 

7 minutes ago, bonzo said:

Steady on we're only 2 games in to the 6. 

Aye but they were both at home against pretty average sides. 

We’ve got three away games coming up and then a tough game against a good Belgium team. 

I’m not trying to be a merchant of doom and we could easily beat Hungary on Tuesday and get some decent results in the next three games but it could also go the other way as well. 

Even if it does, I still fancy us to beat Albania in September though. 

14 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

There’s a good possibility it could happen. If you can’t see that then yer deluded.

In fairness, Hungary are rotten so we’ve a good chance on Tuesday. If we do lose though then are you confident we won’t lose our next three against better opposition than the previous three teams? 

Tbh if we lose 6 in a row so be it, I'd rather our players were getting experience against better teams in these matches.

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

There’s been a very OTT reaction to Ecks first match in charge, talk of a six game losing streak is premature IMO, is it possible? Well of course it’s possible but there’s no need to worry about that yet. 

Hoepfully Eck will recognise those in the squad who aren’t committed and get rid.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Tbh if we lose 6 in a row so be it, I'd rather our players were getting experience against better teams in these matches.

True. As I’ve said elsewhere, the results of these friendlies don’t really matter due to the pots of the qualifiers not being decided by world rankings.

As long as we beat Albania and Israel at home and pick up enough points away to win our group then the friendlies mean feck all, other than to help McLeish to decide on his best 11. 

Having said that, I would rather have a team that’s used to winning and not losing so some decent results in the next 4 games wouldn’t be a bad thing. 

27 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

There’s been a very OTT reaction to Ecks first match in charge, talk of a six game losing streak is premature IMO, is it possible? Well of course it’s possible but there’s no need to worry about that yet. 

Hoepfully Eck will recognise those in the squad who aren’t committed and get rid.

I wouldn’t say I was worried about it to be honest. 

Unless we are very poor on Tuesday I can’t even see Hungary beating us. Will be interesting to see how McLeish approaches that game. 

9 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Someone yesterday hit the nail on the head (not sure who it was).

Many people on here were yearning for Michael O'Neill as boss. Well those people should check back on his record when he first took on the job - it was a case of spot the win in the first 15 matches or so and Chris Coleman at Wales had a very similar start. Both of them were given time and look what has happened? The other night McLeish oversaw his first match where we lost 1-0 to World Cup Quarter-Finalists and the knives were out and moaning rife on here.

Did either of them take over when the team was on a run of 1 loss in 7? Sounds to me like not a bad platform to build on.

1 minute ago, daviebee said:

Did either of them take over when the team was on a run of 1 loss in 7? Sounds to me like not a bad platform to build on.

Well it must have been a piss poor platform we were on or why else were the majority of the fans foaming at the mouth demanding Strachan goes. As for Coleman I am damned sure Gary Speed was doing a very good job when he tragically took his own life prior to Coleman taking over. Wasn't Worthington also lauded for the job he did before O'Neill took over?

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

Well it must have been a piss poor platform we were on or why else were the majority of the fans foaming at the mouth demanding Strachan goes. As for Coleman I am damned sure Gary Speed was doing a very good job when he tragically took his own life prior to Coleman taking over. Wasn't Worthington also lauded for the job he did before O'Neill took over?

Caledonian Craig, I agree 100%.

We need to take a few knocks so as to allow McLeish the time to develop a team capable of meeting our expectations/hopes/dreams.

Rome wasn't built in a day etc etc.

Anyone not in agreement is genuinely mental!

2 hours ago, DizzyVizion said:

Caledonian Craig, I agree 100%.

We need to take a few knocks so as to allow McLeish the time to develop a team capable of meeting our expectations/hopes/dreams.

Rome wasn't built in a day etc etc.

Anyone not in agreement is genuinely mental!

I don’t even know where to begin to tell you what is wrong with that statement.