Match Thread - Costa Rica - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Match Thread - Costa Rica

Clyde1998

11 minutes ago, Alan said:

It was a friendly.

We were better 2nd half than 1st.

Lots of new caps.

New formation which didn't work.  They will learn from it.

Loads of usual negativity from fans around me who want to moan to feel big.  The bullies in the stand who damage Scottish football at domestic and international level.

What were they doing to bully people?

20 minutes ago, Alan said:

Loads of usual negativity from fans around me who want to moan to feel big.  The bullies in the stand who damage Scottish football at domestic and international level.

Bullies or people who are investing their hard earned into an organisation who just want a wee bit of effort, ambition and appreciation reciprocated

The only people who are damaging Scottish football are the imbeciles currently in office along with the fans who follow blindly and are happy to go along with the status quo

Why do you think the people are moaning and groaning? It’s because they want to see the national team and game progress but there doesn’t seem to be a mutual thought process between the fans and the blazers

Edited by DoonTheSlope

11 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

It’s the manner in which we lost. 5 players uncapped started tonight and each and everyone of them was well below what is expected at international level

I agree we should be using friendlies for trying new things out. We learnt a lot about these youngsters breaking through tonight, but not in a positive way

I'd say that's very harsh on a couple of the debutants.

McBurnie and McKenna in particular.

52 minutes ago, Mee said:

I couldn't work that out either. But judging by the response of people on here I'm surprised they didn't invade the pitch and start a rammy

I doubt many of them being overly critical on here were actually at the game. Unless they were posting during the game....

The booing was for the ref and their time wasting IMO.

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'd say that's very harsh on a couple of the debutants.

McBurnie and McKenna in particular.

Having slept on it 👇🏻👇🏻👇🏻

3 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Maybe I was a wee bit harsh because looking back I’ve always said what Berti did with new caps and youngsters in friendlies almost benefited us in the long run. Im just not impressed with the lack of effort which it looked like all bar Robertson showed 

11 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Yes, Nothing of note. He may have been the best of a bad bunch in many’s eyes but wasn’t even as good as that in mine

Out of interest, were you at the game?

If not I'm not sure TV showed the work he did off the ball dragging away defenders etc.

5 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Bullies or people who are investing their hard earned into an organisation who just want a wee bit of effort, ambition and appreciation reciprocated

The only people who are damaging Scottish football are the imbeciles currently in office along with the fans who follow blindly and are happy to go along with the status quo

Why do you think the people are moaning and groaning? It’s because they want to see the national team and game progress but there doesn’t seem to be a mutual thought process between the fans and the blazers

There was two tubes behind me shout abuse at Mulgrew within minutes. Same with Richie.

13 hours ago, Mox said:

Surprised it's taken you this long to mentioned your beloved rugby lads. National anthems are a lot of shite, they mean nothing in a modern society and are literally terrible old songs about misty eyed guff.

Only the the most dense football fans in the world would believe there is anything to take from players not singing a national anthem. If they didn't want to be there, they'd ask not to be selected and let's be clear, passion and pride don't win football matches, intelligence, technical ability and discipline does.

And when these attributes are not in huge abundance you need to look at other ways to bring success .,

I dont think players singing the national anthem with gusto is going to win us games. But i do think you get a good insight into confidence by looking at the body language during it and for me the players last night looked lacking in confidence and/or disinterested in the game. I think it is naive to underestimate what passion and pride can achieve.

IMO McLeish needs to work on the  confidence. Amongst other things. 

8 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

And when these attributes are not in huge abundance you need to look at other ways to bring success .,

I dont think players singing the national anthem with gusto is going to win us games. But i do think you get a good insight into confidence by looking at the body language during it and for me the players last night looked lacking in confidence and/or disinterested in the game. I think it is naive to underestimate what passion and pride can achieve.

IMO McLeish needs to work on the  confidence. Amongst other things. 

Confidence comes with experience. Half a dozen of the starting line up had 5 or less caps, it's understandable that they're not overly confident or nervous. 

11 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

Confidence comes with experience. Half a dozen of the starting line up had 5 or less caps, it's understandable that they're not overly confident or nervous. 

That is a fair point.  A defeat is not the best start for them, hopefully we will get a better performance and result on Tuesday. 

My point really was that a bit of passion should not be underestimated  when trying to grind out a result. 

4 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Will be interesting to see how we fare against a weaker team in Hungary. The Costa Rican players looked so much quicker than us with and without the ball (Robertson aside).

Hungary beat Costa Rica in November. I'm not sure they are that much weaker. 

5 hours ago, Orraloon said:

A 1-0 defeat to Costa Rica isn't a bad result. They are a good side. It was basically a Scotland B team but I'm not sure our A team is much better. Costa Rica are a decent side. I think some folk have forgotten that, 4 years ago, they finish top of "the group of death" containing Italy, Uruguay and England. Then went out on penalties in the QF. I don't know if they played their A team or B team last night, but I think their D team would give us a good game.

Yeh they are a good side and we tried out alot of new players so we shouldn't be too hard on ourselves.  I would imagine it was a strong team given the amount of caps their team had. I think we should be looking to bring in Armstrong,snodgrass, fraser, Berra, Griffith's andTierney into the first team for when the serious stuff starts. McKenna and mcburnie did ok imo and outside of Griffith's we don't have much in the striker dept. so I think mcburnie deserves another game or two to show what he can do.

The booing at the end seemed to me more directed at the ref for the crap decisions he made late on, and towards the Costa Rica players for time wasting and some unpunished fouls.

We played better late on but Costa Rica came out the traps full pelt and stayed composed throughout, so well done to them I suppose.

So, we will regroup for Tuesday.

The saga continues!

5 hours ago, jamboman said:

I dont know why we started with 2 very deep midfielders. A mcginn or armstrong with either one of them would have been much better. At home especially. 

I wasn't there, didn't see the game but one thing that did strike me when the team was announced was that apart from the full / wing backs there wasn't a lot of pace about the team.

11 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

There was two tubes behind me shout abuse at Mulgrew within minutes. Same with Richie.

Well Said their are some arsholes in our support. we are not great but negativity depresses me against Slovakia this prick behind me when I was with my 2 sons and all about us was other families, was slaughtering everyone. after 70 mins I turned on him and told him to fuk off as their was loads of kids about and he shat it. his pals were all embarrassed also.im no hard man by any means but we need to support our country and team. i am a huge football man but our national anthem is terrible the rugby boys all sing it so why cant our football boys

3 hours ago, gaz7 said:

we are not great but negativity depresses me against Slovakia this prick behind me when I was with my 2 sons and all about us was other families, was slaughtering everyone. after 70 mins I turned on him and told him to fuk off as their was loads of kids about and he shat it. his pals were all embarrassed also.im no hard man by any means but we need to support our country and team. i am a huge football man but our national anthem is terrible the rugby boys all sing it so why cant our football boys

True, but on the other hand you get folk who want to silence all criticism. Being a fitba fan is all about opinions (that's why were on this message board after all!), and just because we don't agree with some doesn't mean we should think they're pricks.

I mind last year at Hampden (cannae remember the game, but we were playing pish) shouting "Right Broonie, now MOVE!" after Brown had played a pass then strolled around. The guy in front turned round - didn't say anything - but gied me 'the stare'. Peace out ffs. :ok: 

Edited by Dave78

3 hours ago, gaz7 said:

Well Said their are some arsholes in our support. we are not great but negativity depresses me against Slovakia this prick behind me when I was with my 2 sons and all about us was other families, was slaughtering everyone. after 70 mins I turned on him and told him to fuk off as their was loads of kids about and he shat it. his pals were all embarrassed also.im no hard man by any means but we need to support our country and team. i am a huge football man but our national anthem is terrible the rugby boys all sing it so why cant our football boys

As for the rugby, i've wondered about this for a while. My best guess is that the rugby lads are more of a 'team' if you like. That's why they do all that homo-erotic bonding shite. They know their putting their bodies on the line, and feel like they're going to war. A patriotic anthem which they all sing together (again, more bonding) helps them commit to the game ahead.

Just a theory....

3 hours ago, Dave78 said:

As for the rugby, i've wondered about this for a while. My best guess is that the rugby lads are more of a 'team' if you like. That's why they do all that homo-erotic bonding shite. They know their putting their bodies on the line, and feel like they're going to war. A patriotic anthem which they all sing together (again, more bonding) helps them commit to the game ahead.

Just a theory....

The rugby lads are more of a team, more committed and proud to play for their country. Their body language, attitude and the way they belt out the anthem shows this. They’ve also got some talent and ability to go with it.

With the exception of a few, the football team doesn’t have any of the above.

now before some of the idiots on here say it, I’m aware that singing the anthem will not win games but I’m sure most people will understand the point I’m making. Confidence, passion, pride, desire, ability and determination are all attributes needed at inernational level. Again with the exception of a few, Watching our team at the start of every game, it looks like they’ve all got a massive dose of the Scottish cringe and they don’t give the impression they want to be there. 

Something ive always thought is that some or most of the team see the international team as a hinderence, ever since Strachan gave the excuse “they don’t get paid” ive thought this. Theres definitely somethining up because it’s been ages since I saw an entire Scotland team give everything.

I could just be havering shite but it’s the way I see the team right now. I watch other teams like IRE, N.IRE and Wales.......... even England are starting to looking like a team working together.

6 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Just a theory....

Rugby as a sport encourages community singing more. I couldn't imagine an international football team doing stuff like this regularly after training...

Edited by Toepoke

Going only slightly off-topic I see Northern Ireland with an experimental side and 3 players from the SPL beat South Korea after giving them a goal start. Is that MON showing us what we missed? He certainly seems to instil urgency and confidence in his players, while Eck was blaming defeat on too many debutants.

Someone yesterday hit the nail on the head (not sure who it was).

Many people on here were yearning for Michael O'Neill as boss. Well those people should check back on his record when he first took on the job - it was a case of spot the win in the first 15 matches or so and Chris Coleman at Wales had a very similar start. Both of them were given time and look what has happened? The other night McLeish oversaw his first match where we lost 1-0 to World Cup Quarter-Finalists and the knives were out and moaning rife on here.