Match Thread - Costa Rica - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Match Thread - Costa Rica

Clyde1998

4 minutes ago, Marky said:

Holy shit. 

If you ever wanted a clarification of how utterly keech we were tonight, it’s someone bemoaning the omission of someone who has been nothing but utterly keech for us in the past.

Sad days indeed. 

I will admit that Forrest’s stats for Scotland are unconvincing at best.... but I do believe we are a better TEAM with him in the side. He has also been brilliant for Celtic this season and not just in an attacking sense!

2 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

Amazed by the negativity on this thread. One poor performance with a team full of uncapped players and almost everyone is whinging. People on here have constantly moaned about bringing in new players, then we bring in new players and guess what, they fucking still moan. It's a process, you can't just chuck in 6 new players and expect to look like world beaters. This is the whole point in friendlies. Tonight, we lacked experience at international level, too many new faces in the starting 11 and that was McLeish's biggest mistake tonight, especially in midfield. That and playing Ritchie.

It’s the manner in which we lost. 5 players uncapped started tonight and each and everyone of them was well below what is expected at international level

I agree we should be using friendlies for trying new things out. We learnt a lot about these youngsters breaking through tonight, but not in a positive way

2 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

We learnt a lot about these youngsters breaking through tonight, but not in a positive way

I agree to an extent, but we can't overlook the fact that all of the players (not just the new ones) were asked to play in an unfamiliar system.

Just now, DoonTheSlope said:

It’s the manner in which we lost. 5 players uncapped started tonight and each and everyone of them was well below what is expected at international level

I agree we should be using friendlies for trying new things out. We learnt a lot about these youngsters breaking through tonight, but not in a positive way

I see what you're saying, but these guys coming in aren't international level, at least yet, maybe never. They're never going to be in their 1st cap, but if bleeding them in pointless friendlies gets them to that level then I'll take it. As I said though I don't think it helped having so many new players in at once, especially in midfield. I think people forget the gulf in class going from playing for Aberdeen or Fulham or Cardiff to international level, even against your Costa Rica's.

Any idiot that has watched Scotland over the last 12 months will have seen the difference in us when Strachan put all the Celtic players in the team. For McLeish to think it was a good idea to start with no Celtic players suggests to me that he is even more unsuitable for the job than I thought. 

There were no real tactics and no plan to win the match tonight. Other than Robertson, it was awful.

I'm a very worried fan tonight.

Just back from the game. By no means a classic with a highly experimental squad with lots of changes and what were effectively auditions for some players.  

Thoughts 

•  McDonald way off the pace and very uninspiring 

• Back 5 worked well with the full backs pressing. Even pleased to see both caught offside! 

• Far too defensive. So many players first instinct was to play back every time, even after going a goal down. 

• Stuart Armstrong & Callum McGregor significantly changed the pace when they came on and pressed forward a lot 

• Would have liked to have seen one of the other goalkeepers get a half 

Far from a full strength team but that’s what friendlies are for. 

Another game to prepare for on Tuesday to test more options though 

1 hour ago, Dave78 said:

Meanwhile i watched the Ireland game on the terrestrial Irish state broadcaster. It's a matter of politics.

I think he's referring to the proximity of the highlights to the live game - only an hour gap.

2 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

I think he's referring to the proximity of the highlights to the live game - only an hour gap.

Ach, you're right, sorry. I think i just saw ITV and England being mentioned, then remembered when browsing through my IPTV favourite channels (fuck paying Sky/BT) i noticed the England game was on STV.

55 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Mr. Slope is correct. The most disappointing aspect tonight was that none of the new caps advanced their cause. 

I think we looked really disjointed in the first half which is to be expected with so many new players together. But I thought we thoroughly dominated the second half, we played the game in their half and just lacked the last piece of quality to hit the net.

Costa Rica are a really good international side and reached the last 8 of Brazil 2014.

I thought the 3 central defender system didn’t suit us though, and we struggled for width in the attacking area in the first half.

in terms of the debutants I thought Scott McKenna looked solid all day long, McTominay showed composure when under pressure most of the time and I thought McBurnie showed a real presence at times, I would have liked to have seen him receive better service. McDonald was steady without being exceptional and Cairney had a poor 1st half.

overall I honestly think we took more out of this than the Denmark 1-0 game in 2016 and probably created more chances in this game than that one.

we’ll have a different line up again on Tuesday and we’ll find out if those players can offer something too. And that’s what these 2 games are about,expanding the pool.

32 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Any idiot that has watched Scotland over the last 12 months will have seen the difference in us when Strachan put all the Celtic players in the team. For McLeish to think it was a good idea to start with no Celtic players suggests to me that he is even more unsuitable for the job than I thought. 

There were no real tactics and no plan to win the match tonight. Other than Robertson, it was awful.

Pasta Mick in championing Celtic players shocker.

Ovbiously Armstrong and McGregor changed the game for me, but honestly I think you’re reading too much into it, because I bet my bottom dollar Eck and Rogers will have discussed what game time they’d be getting.

7 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Meanwhile i watched the Ireland game on the terrestrial Irish state broadcaster. It's a matter of politics.

I suspect so, but I was more meaning that pretty much an entire Friday night’s “entertainment” was being taken up by showing a friendly live then an hour of highlights shortly afterwards. Is this all Ant’s fault?!

6 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

I would agree about the involvement of the Celtic players making Scotland a far better team. However, Brown gone and Tiernay injured. Add to that the possibility that Rodgers may have requested McLeish use his key players sparingly over the two friendlies? Could also be that or the fact McLeish knows what they can do so wanted to blood the youngsters at home. Guess we will see in Hungary.

Rather surprised by some of the McKenna comments. Not aware of him making any mistakes or giving the ball away. I actually thought he kept it quite well and was pretty solid throughout. Could be the red tinted specs of course. 

6 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Apart from Forrest we are undoubtedly a better side with the Celtic players on the team, mcgregor and Armstrong made us a better side in the 2nd half.  You’re being very dramatic with the rest of your post, finally we’ve seen a manager use a friendly to try some new blood. That was no indication of a competitive starting lineup IMO.

i believe some of those players like McKenna and McTominey will get better at international level. As great as it would be, not every player has the same type of debut like Armstrong.

Edited by vanderark14

27 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

I would agree about the involvement of the Celtic players making Scotland a far better team. However, Brown gone and Tiernay injured. Add to that the possibility that Rodgers may have requested McLeish use his key players sparingly over the two friendlies? Could also be that or the fact McLeish knows what they can do so wanted to blood the youngsters at home. Guess we will see in Hungary.

Rather surprised by some of the McKenna comments. Not aware of him making any mistakes or giving the ball away. I actually thought he kept it quite well and was pretty solid throughout. Could be the red tinted specs of course. 

It’s nit red tinted specs at all, he wasn’t spectacular but he wasn’t bad. A 21 year old in his first season at club level, makes his international debut in a formation he’s never played and we’ve got some fans slagging him off. He played no better or worse than Hanley and imo he was better than Mulgrew. Mulgrew was pathetic for the goal but again he was playing in a formation being trialled for the first time. 

Some really bizarre knee jerk reactions on here last night. 

Eck said himself that sometimes we have to sacrifice a win to get some new blood in.

Edited by vanderark14

Okay it wasn't great but lets remember a few things here.

First of all Costa Rica are no mugs at all. They have qualified for the World Cup unlike us and I can see them upsetting a few sides in Russia.

Second of all we were playing with a new manager who takes time to instill his mark on the team and systems for them to play.

Third of all we were playing a very experimental under strength side with four debutants starting for us.

Fourth of all we did threaten more than them. I cannot recall McGregor having a save to make of note aside from the goal.

Fifth of all I have sat through a whole load worse in friendlies such as Wales, Sweden and more.

What did we learn? I thought McBurnie did well before he tired and considering how isolated he was. For me he was the pick of the debutants. The defending for the goal was the most worrying thing of the night. We needed more urgency, quicker support for the front man and more support.

So under 

• A new Manager
  • With a new coaching staff
  • Implementing a new formation
  • With new tactics
  • Performed by a lot of new players
  • And played in a friendly match

And we dont get instant success resulting in a ton of negativity.

People been shouting about trying the new players and doing something different if we are to do this there will be a learning period where we will have bad performances and bad results but its about heading in the right direction. Look at Wales under speed / coleman and N.I. under O'Neil there first 10 to 15 results were terrible but the team and manager was afforded this learning period and the long term results rewarded their patience. Its not where we are in the next 5 games its the direction and cultural change were implementing and were we are in the next 15 games

The harsh reality is we don't have any world class players we don't even have any top players. Our best player is a good player and hes a left back which any decent team should be able to neutralize. And most of our players play in a very poor league, the SPL. 

To be fair McLeish  is trying something new and different and hopefully there is a lot of learning points to take away from this. In friendlies the only bad performances and results and the ones we dont learn from.

Yes it was a hard game to watch with little positivity. My biggest concern was the lack of energy, passion and drive. Even watching the players in the tunnel and lined up for the national anthems they didnt look like they were up for it absolutely no energy which showed in the first 20 mins. We really missed Browns leadership off the pitch and drive on it 

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

What did we learn? I thought McBurnie did well before he tired and considering how isolated he was. For me he was the pick of the debutant.

Given the paucity of other options upfront (Fletcher? Martin? Rhodes?) that alone is a big plus

8 hours ago, Dave78 said:

I agree to an extent, but we can't overlook the fact that all of the players (not just the new ones) were asked to play in an unfamiliar system.

7 hours ago, stevenmcn said:

I see what you're saying, but these guys coming in aren't international level, at least yet, maybe never. They're never going to be in their 1st cap, but if bleeding them in pointless friendlies gets them to that level then I'll take it. As I said though I don't think it helped having so many new players in at once, especially in midfield. I think people forget the gulf in class going from playing for Aberdeen or Fulham or Cardiff to international level, even against your Costa Rica's.

Maybe I was a wee bit harsh because looking back I’ve always said what Berti did with new caps and youngsters in friendlies almost benefited us in the long run. Im just not impressed with the lack of effort which it looked like all bar Robertson showed 

This is all a bit OTT.

There were some new caps & we learned that McKenna is a good option at CB & also that Kevin McDonald at 30 shouldn’t be near this squad.

McBurnie was a handful & good to have another young striker with Cummings to back up Griffiths.

Once again Grant Hanley looked slow, clumsy & we concede easy goals with him in the side - Let’s try Hendry against Hungary and forget about Hanley please.

Edited by ProudScot

Who’s the mad shagger that went dipping their way around Costa Rica years ago

Jo Campbell, Ian Smith, Jo Mitchell, Rodney Wallace and Roy Miller. It’s surely not a coincidence that they have all these Scottish sounding names in their squad at once