Match Thread - Costa Rica - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Match Thread - Costa Rica

Clyde1998

11 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

Exactly. Tge first game he played there for us we were all convinced that was our right back for 10 years. The next few performances weren’t at that level but I don’t think we should take the option off the table.

He's got the technical ability to do a good job at rb. It's defo an option we should consider. He's certainly too good to leave out when he could probably do a better job at rb than Patterson.

Disappointing tonight but not overly surprising. The formation did not work due to a midfield that was slow with little penetration and a lack of a quality right side. The personnel did not suit the system and it looked more like the Scotland team that played Lithuania in 2016 than the exciting one of 2017. Things improved when Armstrong and McGregor came on but we still lacked width high up the park on the right side.

Individually:
A.McGregor - Not at fault for the goal and very little to do. Prefer Marshall and Gordon but no criticism based on tonight.

Paterson - Looked uncomfortable all night. Defensively continues to look shaky and lacked quality in his delivery going forward.

Hanley - Exposed for pace and quality at the goal. A normal Hanley performance. To me, still not a good enough defender at international level.

Mulgrew - Did alright but should have stepped out to close down the shot for the goal.

McKenna - Best of the debutants. Linked well enough with Robertson. Lacks distribution wise at times but a defender's defender. His usual 7/10 steady performance.

Robertson - Easily our best player. One mistake all night at the Ruiz crossbar moment but other than that outstanding. Some player.

McDonald - Distinctly unimpressed. Looked average and not up to international football. Tidy enough in possession but little threat.

McTominay - Similar to McDonald in terms of possession with little threat. Would work far better with an Armstrong and/or a McGinn beside him.

Cairney - Very disappointing. For a player who has been superb this season, offered nothing tonight. Granted being played wideish isn't his game but still hoped for more.

Ritchie - Just continues to not suit the way we need to play. We need to play a high energy, quick, slick passing game. He's slow, ponderous and not the best worker. While he possesses a lovely left foot, it comes to show far too little. I'm sorry to any Ritchie fan boys but I just do not rate him at all. Doesn't suit us or have enough quality consistently for this level.

McBurnie - Worked hard, with not enough service first half, got into some ok positions but ultimately couldn't carve himself out a chance and in the end cut a frustrated figure. A victim of the poor personnel to fit a system.

Subs:

Armstrong - Even lacking match fitness, brought an energy and a direct style of play that we lacked previously in the match. A player who must feature in the Nations League.

C.McGregor - Similar to Armstrong but an inferior version of it. Tidy player and more direct but sometimes lacked the quality in his final passes.

McGinn - He's not the best sub truthfully. A lad who struggles coming off the bench and is far more effective as a starter who can grow into a game.

Matt Phillips - He's not a striker lads so please stop using him as such.

Jamie Murphy - Not enough time to show anything.

Disappointed not to see Ryan Fraser in this game as that is the sort of direct running we need. Still prefer us in the system we have under WGS of 4-2-3-1 as we get more width higher up the park and a central attacking player arriving from deep.

TBF to the new lads, that’s a formation they wouldn’t be used to, especially McKenna. He’s used to being a CB in a back 4.

we have to give this new management team and players more time than one friendly 

2 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Robertson - Easily our best player. One mistake all night at the Ruiz crossbar moment but other than that outstanding. Some player.

What was Robertson thinking there... did he forget what side of the pitch he was on? ^?^

Just now, vanderark14 said:

TBF to the new lads, that’s a formation they wouldn’t be used to, especially McKenna. He’s used to being a CB in a back 4.

we have to give this new management team and players more time than one friendly 

Eh does that include 'the arrogant tosser' who captained the side? :spin:

3 minutes ago, slasher said:

Think he tried to anticipate the lad going the other way, could have been costly. 

That's what i was thinking myself... Have you ever seen a fullback do that in that situation though? I haven't in my 25 odd years of watching the game. ^?^

2 hours ago, Kirk said:

Best player we have on the pitch. Pass marks for Robertson who has come into it a bit.  Rest of the team doing fuck all and wondering about looking uninterested. Mctominey looks crap and constantly giving the ball away, Matt Richie can fuck off.

Agree, Ritchie has no final ball, seems to get in good positions but then very wasteful.

McTominey looks a really good defensive front for the cb's.  Like him cause he tracks runners and breaks up play.  Needs to work on passing and we shouldn't use him in a ferguson role as he doesn't have that maturity yet.

6 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

That's what i was thinking myself... Have you ever seen a fullback do that in that situation though? I haven't in my 25 odd years of watching the game. ^?^

It was a bizarre moment, hopefully a one off

4 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Couldn’t help notice that ITV showed the England game live.......and an hour later are showing the highlights??

Meanwhile i watched the Ireland game on the terrestrial Irish state broadcaster. It's a matter of politics.

Paterson is a serious concern defensively..... remember thinking so much against Lithuania at home in the last campaign as well! 

Thought Mctominay looked very shaky at times, understandably considering the hype surrounding him!

McBurnie looked decent, but there was a couple of great deliveries across the face of goal he shldve been on the end of.

Never seen any replays of the penalty incident in first half......looked like a stonewaller??

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Sky really need to get some new guests. They've got two ex players who made a complete shambles of their international careers. Boyd can barely string a sentence together and neither of them know a single thing about football outside the old firm.

Ferguson could have been one of our greatest too.

It's hard to judge the players tonight, 4 new caps in a starting 11 is unheard of but it's very welcome as far as I'm concerned. They will need time to bond. We've still got some great talent to come back too.

I actually like boyd and ferguson in the studio.  Refreshing compared to usual crap clichés spouted.  At least coming up with solutions.  Like the idea of mcburnie and Griffiths together up front.

On a separate note, your tagline, the lies are unravelling.  But how badly does Scotland have to be treated for no voters to change their minds.  One day, hopefully soon.

52 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

The problem was midfield. McDonald barely moved and did nothing with the ball. Cairney did nothing either. Night and day when Mcgregor and Armstrong came on. Mcburnie did well.

Totally agree macaroon.  Midfield was where we were lacking in 1st half.  Ok, it took 20 mins for the new boys to get comfortable, but in 2nd half we were superior to cRica.  Not great but I guess Alec is going to experiment a bit in these friendlies.

At least we have a manager who is looking at guys who play on teams that have to win every week (Celtic,Rangers, Aberdeen) unlike McDonald,cairney & ritchies team.  Hopefully we see more of the spl guys for hungary because I don't watch any epl football and have no idea who some in the starting lineup were tonight.

First half midfield was too defensive by the end of the game we were playing alot better. I hope that McLeish has learned quickly that the players playing in Scotland deserve a game before second tier English players. In my opinion that was what let Strachan down in the end.

I don't think we are far from being a really good team. I think our best players are now attacking and not defensive and we need to adjust our tactics accordingly

57 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Tonight highlights what a huge player James Forrest is for us.

Holy shit. 

If you ever wanted a clarification of how utterly keech we were tonight, it’s someone bemoaning the omission of someone who has been nothing but utterly keech for us in the past.

Sad days indeed. 

Amazed by the negativity on this thread. One poor performance with a team full of uncapped players and almost everyone is whinging. People on here have constantly moaned about bringing in new players, then we bring in new players and guess what, they fucking still moan. It's a process, you can't just chuck in 6 new players and expect to look like world beaters. This is the whole point in friendlies. Tonight, we lacked experience at international level, too many new faces in the starting 11 and that was McLeish's biggest mistake tonight, especially in midfield. That and playing Ritchie.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Future team needs to be 

McGregor/archer

Tierney mulgrew Berra Robertson

mctominay armstrong 

Forrest.      McGregor.          Fraser

Griffiths

McTominay? Surely not based on tonight and his last couple of games at club level. He’s been honking