First Scotland games - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

First Scotland games

BucksburnDandy

I have a 37 year gap between home & away.

As mentioned before home vs N. Ireland 1-1 in '69 (safe to come on here now Flure's been on).   If not, it was 0-1 to them in '71, but I believe I was at both.   I also vaguely remember a Scotland League vs England League game, but no idea when.   My dad never took me to a full international vs England as he was concerned for me in such a crowd.

It was 2006 before my 1st away, with us winning in Kaunas.   Followed up with Bari & Paris in 2007.   That 2:1 away win ratio is not going to be topped again!

TV highlights would have been past my bedtime in the 60's, and pretty sure live games were few and far between.   (Was my '69 game not live on TV though, partly explaining its record low crowd?)   So don't remember what my 1st live TV games were, but would have been home internationals.   I certainly do remember the '74 world cup vs Zaire & Brazil, though had to listen to Jugoslavia on the radio on a bus.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first one I vaguely remember on the TV is when they got beat 3 - 0 by Italy and didn't go the 1966 World Cup in England, first home game must have been a home international in the early seventies, first away game was 1977 at Wembley and first abroad away game was 3 - 0 defeat in Paris in 1989.

First Scotland game: Rous Coup 1989 Vs Chile at Hampden, we won 2-0 and we were behind the goal at the East end. My vague memory is that end of the ground was pretty much empty.

First Hampden game: As above

First Away game: France 98 Vs Morocco  :(

TV - Costa Rica 1990 (I think).

AWAY - Norway in Bordeaux (France '98)

What a beautiful occasion; one of the best ever; the Scots, the Norwegians and our French hosts; what a day... night... and next morning.

"Were you in Bordeaux?"

HOME - Sweden at Ibrox 1996......... 'The Jim Leighton match'. What a night he had; absolutely outstanding.

Image result for scotland sweden leighton

8 hours ago, dandydunn said:

First game v Belarus at pittodrie, I think this was the one moved when Di died. 

First Hampden game v Norway when Faddy was sent off and they scored the pen. 

First away game v Norway again, a 4-0 humping in 2009 I think it was. 

First tv that springs to mind is v Sweden at italia 90. 

Ive been to around a dozen away games and only seen us win once. 

I’ve given up. 

Edited by dandydunn

Tv - Scotland 1-1 Germany, Miller with the goal.

live - Scotland 0-0 Slovenia under Vogts, I remember Berti waiting till 10 mins from the end to make a change because he knew 0-0 would be a stay of execution and a defeat would have sacked him.

Also remember Craig Gordon making his debut and nearly fumbling one over the line 😂

First memory was as a 10 year old kid seeing my father jump around the living room after Joe Jordan secured qualification to world cup in 1974, think is was against the Czechs or Denmark. I was hooked after that and was blessed to see the 1974 and 1978 teams with some really good players. Should have done better but then we are Scotland.^_^

54 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

First memory was as a 10 year old kid seeing my father jump around the living room after Joe Jordan secured qualification to world cup in 1974, think is was against the Czechs or Denmark. I was hooked after that and was blessed to see the 1974 and 1978 teams with some really good players. Should have done better but then we are Scotland.^_^

It was the Czechs.

First game I mind sitting in front of the box to watch was v the Czechs away in 1976, we got beat and Andy Gray was sent off (a major event in those days). The pictures were in black & white IIRC.

TV Remember TommyGemmell booting a German player up the backside and getting sent off. Mid/late 60s. First game v England was 1973 at Wembley. Superb Shilton save from Dalglish shot that was postage stamp corner bound. We lost 1-0. Never missed an England game after that until Euro 96 as I was working offshore. In my heyday as younger man in 70s, 80s and nineties and even now, you  just didn't /don't miss England games without a very decent excuse and a doctor's line ( a la Birnie in Rab C) is not really enough. This was possibly due to the difficulty  in getting a ticket; indeed, it felt like a pools win if you got a ticket. Even if you didn't, you still went, especially to Wembley. Looking back, I was pretty fortunate as I lived in England and managed to get a ticket  from various club sources who I think must have had allocations from English FA. 

On 22 March 2018 at 6:22 PM, Rich NATA said:

TV - Costa Rica 1990 (I think).

AWAY - Norway in Bordeaux (France '98)

What a beautiful occasion; one of the best ever; the Scots, the Norwegians and our French hosts; what a day... night... and next morning.

"Were you in Bordeaux?"

Aye, that was the last time we scored in a finals tournament. Burley. Long time ago. 

My first Scotland game at home was against Denmark in a Euro qualifier. I think we won 3-1..Remembered being thrown about like a rag doll in the red stoor . Covered west terrace. Was just a nipper, but the size of Hampden then, was unreal.. Walking towards from behind the east terrace, the stairs up to the extra level that used to be there. Floodlights, the old north stand. First away game ( not home international) was against New Zealand in Spain 1982 World Cup.  In Malaga I think.

Tv - Probably the France ‘98 opener against Brazil. I remember the time around Euro ‘96 but not actually seeing any of the games. 

Live - I’ve been told I was at a WC ‘94 qualifier against Malta (at Ibrox, 1993?) but I would have been three years old and don’t remember it. Sweden in the ‘98 qualifiers was the first game I remember going to. 

Away - Ireland in the Nations Cup in Dublin in 2011.