Players we will never give up on - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Players we will never give up on

ceudmilefailte

13 hours ago, Kirk said:

The measure is he was a better player, and yes he played professionally.

He was a promising striker at 19, with loans spells in the lower leagues. Now plays for Arthurlie. Hard to compare a striker with a midfielder, especially when playing at such a low level. I’ve no doubt he is very talented, though.

Most fans will have had a professional player come from their school and nearly all of them will say there were half a dozen better players at the same school who didn’t make it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110822081830/http://mobile.kilmarnockfc.co.uk/articles/20091126/clydesdale-bank-under-19-league_85961_1885799

17 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

He was a promising striker at 19, with loans spells in the lower leagues. Now plays for Arthurlie. Hard to compare a striker with a midfielder, especially when playing at such a low level. I’ve no doubt he is very talented, though.

Most fans will have had a professional player come from their school and nearly all of them will say there were half a dozen better players at the same school who didn’t make it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110822081830/http://mobile.kilmarnockfc.co.uk/articles/20091126/clydesdale-bank-under-19-league_85961_1885799

He was a better footballer than his brother, no ifs or buts. He just made a bit of a mess of things and lost his big chance.
I agree about the second part, know plenty of guys who got into bevy etc instead of signing for decent clubs. And guys who went on trial and made a mess of it too.

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

He was a better footballer than his brother, no ifs or buts. He just made a bit of a mess of things and lost his big chance.
I agree about the second part, know plenty of guys who got into bevy etc instead of signing for decent clubs. And guys who went on trial and made a mess of it too.

Often the really talented ones weren’t all that interested and were into The Cure. 

• 2 years later...
On 9/16/2020 at 4:31 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

Barrie McKay Characteristics

+ Strengths

(Player has no significant strengths)

- Weaknesses

Aerial Duels
Weak
Holding on to the ball
Weak
Crossing
Weak
Defensive contribution
Weak
Discipline
Weak

+ Strengths

Holding on to the ball
Strong
Passing
Strong
Dribbling
Strong
Long shots

- Weaknesses

(Player has no significant weaknesses)

Amazing what a change of scenery does. Could yet be the only correct prediction here.
Edited by ceudmilefailte

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, sjd1972 said:

Fraser Hornby scored a double for Oostende against Club Brugge at weekend.  Is there still hope for him?

Based on the fact Shankland, Nisbet, McBurnie and Stewart are all older than him, and being seriously considered as squad regulars, I'd definitely not write off 23 year old Hornby. Especially in the striker department. Pretty much any striker that has even a half decent scoring spree should be considered.

Ollie Burke comes off the bench for Werder Bremen almost every game and starts in cup games. I'm not giving up on him either.

36 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Based on the fact Shankland, Nisbet, McBurnie and Stewart are all older than him, and being seriously considered as squad regulars, I'd definitely not write off 23 year old Hornby. Especially in the striker department. Pretty much any striker that has even a half decent scoring spree should be considered.

Ollie Burke comes off the bench for Werder Bremen almost every game and starts in cup games. I'm not giving up on him either.

I agree with both. Hornby is 23 and Burke is 25, so both have still got time to get himself into the fold - they just need to be playing well on a regular basis.

On 10/20/2022 at 4:13 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

+ Strengths

Holding on to the ball
Strong
Passing
Strong
Dribbling
Strong
Long shots

- Weaknesses

(Player has no significant weaknesses)

Amazing what a change of scenery does. Could yet be the only correct prediction here.

No significant weaknesses other than he's inconsistent and disappears in big games? 

Edited by Bzzzz

Was he even that prolific in Greece? 45 goals in 5 seasons according to his wiki. We were kind of spoiled for 10 goal a season strikers back then, Jackson, Spencer, Durie, Booth, Dickov, Gallacher. 

McCoist and John McGinlay were probably the only prolific goal scorers we had in the 90s? 

4 hours ago, ghorne67 said:

Was he even that prolific in Greece? 45 goals in 5 seasons according to his wiki. We were kind of spoiled for 10 goal a season strikers back then, Jackson, Spencer, Durie, Booth, Dickov, Gallacher. 

McCoist and John McGinlay were probably the only prolific goal scorers we had in the 90s? 

John Collins bagged a few back then too, not a striker admittedly 

On 10/31/2022 at 7:00 PM, Clyde1998 said:

I agree with both. Hornby is 23 and Burke is 25, so both have still got time to get himself into the fold - they just need to be playing well on a regular basis.

I find it incredible that Burke managed to get a contract at Werder Bremen far less get game time with them. No doubt he had raw pace and physicality but he never seemed to really know what to do with it. 

On 11/1/2022 at 2:51 PM, thelonehutch said:

Absolutely! Was gutted when Dunfermline signed a 36/7 yr old but he was one of the best I've seen at East end. Brewster definitely helped Crawford win the caps he did. Must have been awesome in his prime.

He was relegated with Dundee Utd in his prime I reckon.