Players we will never give up on - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Players we will never give up on

ceudmilefailte

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He made his debut in a 1–1 draw against Rotherham United on 15 December 2018, earning man of the match. After the game it was revealed he had played with a fractured forehead and required surgery for metal plates to be fitted. He was consequently ruled out of playing any further games for a few months.

On 26 February 2019, McIntyre signed a new contract with Reading until the summer of 2021.

Thought I would drag this topic us as I was bored and had nothing better to do other than convince my self that Liam Lyndsay was the second coming, along the way I found Clark Robertson which lead me to McIntyre 

Any one know much about Clark Robertson?

I'm taking Lyndsay as another selection to end up in the Hall of Fame

Saw him play as a 17 year old - I think he'd just turned 17 - four years ago in pre-season for Reading U21s against Maidenhead.  That was a strong Maidenhead team that would go on to win the NLS that season, so he was playing against experienced and physically strong men, never easy for a young player.  For me he was a real standout, I was impressed with how comfortable he was on the ball and his reading of the game.   It was only after that I found out how young he was I assumed he'd be about 20 or so.

I've kept an eye on his development, I think he's had a few injuries which has held him back a little bit, but I'd expect him to be playing league football somewhere on loan next season.

Edited by aaid

About four years ago, how many Scotland caps did you reckon Lewis Macleod would have by now ?

He's just been released by Brentford. Injuries have snookered his career. Nearly twenty five he is now.

Oddly enough Josh McEachran - the "future England world cup star" that was eligible for us and who Levein tried in vain to sign up - has also been released by Brentford.

4 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

About four years ago, how many Scotland caps did you reckon Lewis Macleod would have by now ?

He's just been released by Brentford. Injuries have snookered his career. Nearly twenty five he is now.

Oddly enough Josh McEachran - the "future England world cup star" that was eligible for us and who Levein tried in vain to sign up - has also been released by Brentford.

Four months ago I had Che Adams starting for England, luckily I didn't pinky promise

4 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Four months ago I had Che Adams starting for England, luckily I didn't pinky promise

McBurnie has the same amount of goals this season. We should be more excited about him because he actually wants to play for Scotland! 

On 5/10/2019 at 1:24 AM, mrniaboc said:

I see Billy Gilmour was training with the first team again this week... 

Maybe a chance he'll make his debut tomorrow. Arsenal can't finish 4th (unless they win 8-0 and Spurs lose) so you'd imagine for a dead rubber they'd rest their regular 11 with europa final.

Edit: O.k looks like I got the wrong one again!😂

Actually is the Arsenal one not got some Scottish blood as apparently he's a Rangers fan and wants to play for them one day. Great grandfather referenced so assume he's eligable for Scotland if you dig enough in his family background.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4227640/charlie-gilmour-arsenal-exit/

Edited by Tartan Chris

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

Maybe a chance he'll make his debut tomorrow. Arsenal can't finish 4th (unless they win 8-0 and Spurs lose) so you'd imagine for a dead rubber they'd rest their regular 11 with europa final.

Edit: O.k looks like I got the wrong one again!😂

Actually is the Arsenal one not got some Scottish blood as apparently he's a Rangers fan and wants to play for them one day. Great grandfather referenced so assume he's eligable for Scotland if you dig enough in his family background.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4227640/charlie-gilmour-arsenal-exit/

Charlie has played numerous times for our youth teams.

Billy did indeed train with the Chelsea first team this week.

• 1 year later...
On 5/9/2019 at 10:43 PM, aaid said:

Saw him play as a 17 year old - I think he'd just turned 17 - four years ago in pre-season for Reading U21s against Maidenhead.  That was a strong Maidenhead team that would go on to win the NLS that season, so he was playing against experienced and physically strong men, never easy for a young player.  For me he was a real standout, I was impressed with how comfortable he was on the ball and his reading of the game.   It was only after that I found out how young he was I assumed he'd be about 20 or so.

I've kept an eye on his development, I think he's had a few injuries which has held him back a little bit, but I'd expect him to be playing league football somewhere on loan next season.

Been keeping an eye on him since you posted and he certainly seems to be going the right way.  Still seems to be injury prone, didn't last 90 minutes in a few games last season but I think Reading do have a decent record for bringing through young players so are probably protecting him as an asset. The Reading fans and my beloved who scored.com seem to rate him very highly.

Think we can give up on all the other suggestion bar the obvious two I stole.

A lot of uncapped young players getting moves to big clubs at the moment so if anyone wants to have a stab at which ones will actually make it feel free to post.

23 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Been keeping an eye on him since you posted and he certainly seems to be going the right way.  Still seems to be injury prone, didn't last 90 minutes in a few games last season but I think Reading do have a decent record for bringing through young players so are probably protecting him as an asset. The Reading fans and my beloved who scored.com seem to rate him very highly.

A lot of uncapped young players getting moves to big clubs at the moment so if anyone wants to have a stab at which ones will actually make it feel free to post.

I think at that point Reading had about four players who were in our youth set up and the all played.  The only other one I remember was Harry Cardwell, as he was a forward who was a bit older and was getting talked up a bit and he was the one I was most interested in seeing - he was completely two-bob and is now playing for Chorley who were rock bottom of the National League last season.   McIntyre, I knew his name but nothing at all about him at all.   Can't remember who the other two were, clearly they made a massive impact on me!

25 minutes ago, aaid said:

I think at that point Reading had about four players who were in our youth set up and the all played.  The only other one I remember was Harry Cardwell, as he was a forward who was a bit older and was getting talked up a bit and he was the one I was most interested in seeing - he was completely two-bob and is now playing for Chorley who were rock bottom of the National League last season.   McIntyre, I knew his name but nothing at all about him at all.   Can't remember who the other two were, clearly they made a massive impact on me!

Dom Hyam and Zak Jules? I think there was a goalkeeper, who came with good reviews also but can not remember his name (something tells me he went to Ross County?)

Hyam is at Coventry now, and with them in the Championship, probably worth keeping a eye on.

Jules looked ok at that age group, but he was a 16 year old built like Mike Tyson in his prime, and bar a spell at Mortherwell, think just drifts from club to club around league one and two.

Edited by wanderer

51 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Dom Hyam and Zak Jules? I think there was a goalkeeper, who came with good reviews also but can not remember his name (something tells me he went to Ross County?)

Hyam is at Coventry now, and with them in the Championship, probably worth keeping a eye on.

Jules looked ok at that age group, but he was a 16 year old built like Mike Tyson in his prime, and bar a spell at Mortherwell, think just drifts from club to club around league one and two.

Honestly can't remember

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

Jules makes it into my all-time Motherwell nightmare XI...unbelievably poor

7 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

McIntyre will almost certainly be competing in the Reading first team next season; at the moment, we've only got three centre-backs who've had a season in the first team and another coming through (and I'd be surprised if we sign a new one without selling someone else). When he did play, he looked as good as the established centre-backs we've got, even keeping our captain out the side during the back end of the season (someone who had £10m+ bids from Brighton in 2018) - so hopefully he'll be able to get regular game time next season.

Jordan Holsgrove (attacking midfielder) is one that's fairly likely to break through at Reading next season too. He played five games for the Scotland U21s last year and spent last season in the Spanish third division - playing regularly for Atletico Baleares, who ended up losing in the promotion play-off to the second division after winning their league. He's probably not going to be approaching the full national team for another couple of seasons at best though.

Marc McNulty is apparently going to be given a chance next season too, but I can't imagine that's going to be too relevant for Scotland moving forward - particularly as he's probably fourth or fifth choice as an out-and-out striker (depending on sales).

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/22/2020 at 11:26 AM, romanticscot said:

Jordan Rhodes - such a prolific goal scorer 5 years ago and a fantastic attitude and gentleman..

Been capped so not allowed.

Dragging the thread up again because every one seems to think we have some never ending list of prospects.

Giving er yir macaroon Liam Morrison unless he has a better prospect.

New rule- max 2 players per 6 months before a certain some one names every one in the under 17 squad

17 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Been capped so not allowed.

Dragging the thread up again because every one seems to think we have some never ending list of prospects.

Giving er yir macaroon Liam Morrison unless he has a better prospect.

New rule- max 2 players per 6 months before a certain some one names every one in the under 17 squad

I would have thought this would be more relevant to older players. I’m certainly not giving up hope of Morrison getting a cap given that he’s 17.  I can’t remember if Gauld has a cap but he’s an older player I’m not giving up on, and I think he will still have a good Scotland career, starting from 2021. 

I’m positively distraught about Barrie McKay’s squandered talent and hope Warburton might sign him up for QPR. He’s as quick as Burke and has a weight of pass comparable to Gauld. The sky is the limit with his talent but in terms of application he seemingly wants to be a hairdresser. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

I would have thought this would be more relevant to older players. I’m certainly not giving up hope of Morrison getting a cap given that he’s 17.  I can’t remember if Gauld has a cap but he’s an older player I’m not giving up on, and I think he will still have a good Scotland career, starting from 2021. 

I’m positively distraught about Barrie McKay’s squandered talent and hope Warburton might sign him up for QPR. He’s as quick as Burke and has a weight of pass comparable to Gauld. The sky is the limit with his talent but in terms of application he seemingly wants to be a hairdresser. 

Probably badly worded title was meant more to apply to younger player's who's ability is so great you won't give up on then no matter what. 

Barrie McKay would be a good example or Islam Feruz.

A few posters scatter gun every one under 17 as a future great, point of thread is to actually put it in writing 

Winner gets a job as a Man City scout

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Why would Mark Warburton, who is under huge pressure to get QPR promoted, want to sign such a mediocre player who failed miserably at Forest, Swansea and Fleetwood ?

Barrie McKay was a hugely overrated player as a youngster. As I recall most people on this forum were agreed that he was an unimpressive player with a poor return of goals and assists.

Funnily enough my cousin used to know all the McKay brothers Barrhead. He said that Danny McKay was actually much more talented than Barrie originally. Sadly, Danny was too fond of having a good time at night and arguing with his coaches to make it as a pro at Kilmarnock.

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Why would Mark Warburton, who is under huge pressure to get QPR promoted, want to sign such a mediocre player who failed miserably at Forest, Swansea and Fleetwood ?

Barrie McKay was a hugely overrated player as a youngster. As I recall most people on this forum were agreed that he was an unimpressive player with a poor return of goals and assists.

Funnily enough my cousin used to know all the McKay brothers Barrhead. He said that Danny McKay was actually much more talented than Barrie originally. Sadly, Danny was too fond of having a good time at night and arguing with his coaches to make it as a pro at Kilmarnock.

Warburton has always rated him and waxed even more lyrical than I. You do yourself a disservice by questioning his talent, although his mentality is clearly open to debate. We’ve been hearing more talented brother stories since a ball/severed head was first kicked. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

9 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Warburton has always rated him and waxed even more lyrical than I. You do yourself a disservice by questioning his talent, although his mentality is clearly open to debate. We’ve been hearing more talented brother stories since a ball/severed head was first kicked. 

Most Rangers fans on here even said that McKay wasn't upto much. He couldn't even cross a ball properly.

Warburton has probably forgotten who on earth McKay is.