Costa Who?? - a blog about Italia 90 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Costa Who?? - a blog about Italia 90

Ambassador

PS the youtube video is worth a watch.

Its 3 minute BBC footage of Pavarotti singing Nessun Dorma to clips from the tournament (including Leighton booting the post in frustration and a Scotland player - Durie I think - with his head in his hands after the Costa Rica mess).

I was in Cairo for Italia 90. Watched some games (Bobby Robson's world-beaters :)) on the roof of some swank hotel (Hilton? Sheraton?) where they'd set up a giant screen. However, the most memorable match (well, match-aftermath; the game was shite) was when Egypt drew with the Netherlands. The entire city went ape, I've rarely if ever seen such elation in such large numbers. Collected the Pirelli album - nearly complete - and distinctly remember Scotland being the most hideous squad by some margin in the entire collection.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Did the stickers grip the page better than Panini ones?...

Arf ... not my soberest of posts ... Here's the album (Dutch version) in all its glory.

Edited by DonnyTJS

I was living in Portugal at the time and decided to miss Costa Rica match as i couldn`t afford time or money for 3 group matches and further rounds. I remember watching Costa Rica match (a Monday afternoon I think) and wondering if it`d been a big mistake to book for Genoa for Sweden match. After very long train and bus journeys got to Genoa -scorching heat with no shade in queue for tickets. Sure it started at about 4 or 5 and not in evening as said in blog. Tickets were sold in venue blocks at Italy 90 so I think there were even a few Costa Ricans at our match v Sweden who hadn`t travelled to Turin to see CR play Brasil. In Genoa bought ticket off Brasilian as loads of Brasilians had Turin venue tickets. Was right behind goal and so got excellent view of Leighton and McLeish (seems like yesterday). Left by train very early next morning but seem to remember that we weren`t eliminated till 24 or 48 hours later and could have ended up playing in Bari in last 16.  Was a good WC for fans and it`s a pity Italy hasn`t hosted a WC or EC again since then.

8 of us travelled from Menton in the South of France to Genoa with no tickets (we had them for the Sweden game the following Saturday)

The outward journey was incredible

A big long train along the coastal route with Saltires and Lion Rampants hanging from every window

Think of every "football special" train you have ever been on then add the biggest carry oots ever

People on the beaches were waving up to the train and it bounced it's way through to Genoa

When we arrived at Genoa main station the Scotland chants were deafening and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up

All the locals were amazed and for a change distinguished us from the English

A wee Italian wummin in her late 50s came up to me and said that her mother was Scottish and smiled - braw

Anyway we got the local trains out to the stadium and when we arrived we met thousands of other Scotland fans coming down every road leading to it - meeting up in an underpass

All the Italians in their cars stopped and were cheering and clapping us

Never got a ticket - watched the game in a bar within touching distance from the stadium and drank fanta as there was a drinks ban - not everyone distinguished us from the English

Couldnt believe McCoist wasnt starting, played shit and my hangover started to kick in by the second half

Humiliation again

Due to the Italian night trains being completely different to the daytime schedule we never got back to Menton until 6 am the next day (it had taken 3 hours in the morning)

Still get shivers thinking about it

9 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

8 of us travelled from Menton in the South of France to Genoa with no tickets (we had them for the Sweden game the following Saturday)

The outward journey was incredible

A big long train along the coastal route with Saltires and Lion Rampants hanging from every window

Think of every "football special" train you have ever been on then add the biggest carry oots ever

People on the beaches were waving up to the train and it bounced it's way through to Genoa

When we arrived at Genoa main station the Scotland chants were deafening and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up

All the locals were amazed and for a change distinguished us from the English

A wee Italian wummin in her late 50s came up to me and said that her mother was Scottish and smiled - braw

Anyway we got the local trains out to the stadium and when we arrived we met thousands of other Scotland fans coming down every road leading to it - meeting up in an underpass

All the Italians in their cars stopped and were cheering and clapping us

Never got a ticket - watched the game in a bar within touching distance from the stadium and drank fanta as there was a drinks ban - not everyone distinguished us from the English

Couldnt believe McCoist wasnt starting, played shit and my hangover started to kick in by the second half

Humiliation again

Due to the Italian night trains being completely different to the daytime schedule we never got back to Menton until 6 am the next day (it had taken 3 hours in the morning)

Still get shivers thinking about it

Sounds magic, I am 41 as is my pal who wrote the blog and this is the type of trip we are waiting for.....

Edited by Ambassador

there was an alcohol ban ,but i recall a small back street shop selling beer out of his basement/cellar to a large group of fans in Genoa for the sweden game, and for the costa rica game am sure we had beer in a pizza place

i think it was a 5pm ko for CR , but more like 8pm for Sweden ? i mind being able to pick out rod stewart & his missus from one of the main stands at some distance ; we were behind the goal where CR scored (for both games)

Turin was literally a washout ; crap atmosphere, crap game , crap location - think it was a belgium v uruguay game some days later that finally killed off our chances of qualification

the Czechs gave Costa Rica a real doing in the next round ; guess it helped not having aitken, mcpherson , mcnally playing for them....

19 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

the Czechs gave Costa Rica a real doing in the next round ; guess it helped not having aitken, mcpherson , mcnally playing for them....

To be fair Aitken was outstanding v Sweden - during the game and in the tunnel beforehand

Seemingly the Swedes shat it seeing the big man's passion 

Watching the Costa Rica game in that bar all i can remember is the amount of times the Italian commentator said Macperrson

On 17/03/2018 at 10:39 PM, ironbrew said:

I was living in Portugal at the time and decided to miss Costa Rica match as i couldn`t afford time or money for 3 group matches and further rounds. I remember watching Costa Rica match (a Monday afternoon I think) and wondering if it`d been a big mistake to book for Genoa for Sweden match. After very long train and bus journeys got to Genoa -scorching heat with no shade in queue for tickets. Sure it started at about 4 or 5 and not in evening as said in blog. Tickets were sold in venue blocks at Italy 90 so I think there were even a few Costa Ricans at our match v Sweden who hadn`t travelled to Turin to see CR play Brasil. In Genoa bought ticket off Brasilian as loads of Brasilians had Turin venue tickets. Was right behind goal and so got excellent view of Leighton and McLeish (seems like yesterday). Left by train very early next morning but seem to remember that we weren`t eliminated till 24 or 48 hours later and could have ended up playing in Bari in last 16.  Was a good WC for fans and it`s a pity Italy hasn`t hosted a WC or EC again since then.

Pretty sure that we eventually got eliminated after Uruguay or South Korea scored a last minute winner in their final group game and went through at our expense. Typical Scotland

Edited by Lion Rampant

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:33 PM, Ally Bongo said:

To be fair Aitken was outstanding v Sweden - during the game and in the tunnel beforehand

Seemingly the Swedes shat it seeing the big man's passion 

"LET'S GET INTAE THESE BAAAASSSSTTTTAAAARRRRRDDDDDDSSSSS"