Crossing a picket line (or not) - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Crossing a picket line (or not)

Can anyone enlighten me to what my rights are here. 

I work on a site that has two organisations on it - one part of a university, one not (I work for the non-university part). With the ongoing industrial action by the University lecturers I think there may be a picket line in the next few days. I'm not particularly comfortable crossing a picket line, but because it's for a separate employer, I don't think I have any rights not to without taking a day off or working from home. Is that right?

1 minute ago, biffer said:

Can anyone enlighten me to what my rights are here. 

I work on a site that has two organisations on it - one part of a university, one not (I work for the non-university part). With the ongoing industrial action by the University lecturers I think there may be a picket line in the next few days. I'm not particularly comfortable crossing a picket line, but because it's for a separate employer, I don't think I have any rights not to without taking a day off or working from home. Is that right?

Fuck them. Are you willing to risk potential disciplinary action?

Just now, DoonTheSlope said:

Fuck them. Are you willing to risk potential disciplinary action?

Not sure who you want me to fuck...

That's my question though, is it a disciplinary issue under law or not?

12 minutes ago, biffer said:

Not sure who you want me to fuck...

That's my question though, is it a disciplinary issue under law or not?

Fuck whoever you want and if anyone has a problem with it then fuck them too

If your being paid by your employer and you're not part of the union and strike then surely you should be doing the job you're paid to do?

Edited by DoonTheSlope

I work for a company on the University of York estate but not part of the Uni at all.  Been crossing a picket line to get in for about a week and a half now, as have the rest of the people who work here, I've been asked while passing if I work for the Uni, when saying no they didn't really do much but tried handing me one of their flyers.

4 minutes ago, biffer said:

Yes.

If it were me then, I wouldn't have a problem going in.   In fact I don't think you could consider it as crossing a picket line as the picket line would be there for the organisation and dispute you have nothing at all to do with.  

It would be a bit different if you were on the same site and - say - both companies were owned by the same company.  Or if you worked for a different company that was doing work for the company in dispute.   

From what you are saying, they just happen to share a site.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

If it were me then, I wouldn't have a problem going in.   In fact I don't think you could consider it as crossing a picket line as the picket line would be there for the organisation and dispute you have nothing at all to do with.  

It would be a bit different if you were on the same site and - say - both companies were owned by the same company.  Or if you worked for a different company that was doing work for the company in dispute.   

From what you are saying, they just happen to share a site.

I concur.

I don't think there should be a problem entering the site if you are a different organisation. Surely a picket line is to prevent work of the organisation concerned from taking place, and for strikers t persuade other workers not to enter the premises or allow business to carry on. I don't think it's your fight and I'd have thought the pickets should respect that.

10 hours ago, exile said:

I don't think there should be a problem entering the site if you are a different organisation. Surely a picket line is to prevent work of the organisation concerned from taking place, and for strikers t persuade other workers not to enter the premises or allow business to carry on. I don't think it's your fight and I'd have thought the pickets should respect that.

I’m not worried about them trying to stop, I’m just personally uncomfortable crossing a picket line. It’s university lecturers, they’re hardly going to stop me if I want to go in! It’s more my personal feeling about respecting industrial action.

16 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Fuck whoever you want and if anyone has a problem with it then fuck them too

If your being paid by your employer and you're not part of the union and strike then surely you should be doing the job you're paid to do?

Thank you for your input Mr Rees Mogg. 

1 hour ago, biffer said:

Thank you for your input Mr Rees Mogg. 

Aye ok, great input to the thread. It's standard practice these days to be resorting to calling people tories if you don't agree with them

If you had a business and it was stationed for a period of time at a location where a strike from a completely different organisation was taking place and your employees refused to carry out the job you're paying them for, this impacting on your business reputation, letting down clients and more importantly costing the business money you'd be ok with that? All because they might be frowned upon for a crossing a picket line that has absolutely nothing to do with them 

I'm glad you don't work for me or I'd have to deal with a few shiftless bastards going on strike every other week because the chips in the canteen aren't crinkle cut or toilet paper isn't quilted or any other stupid excuse

Edited by DoonTheSlope

18 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Aye ok, great input to the thread. It's standard practice these days to be resorting to calling people tories if you don't agree with them

If you had a business and it was stationed for a period of time at a location where a strike from a completely different organisation was taking place and your employees refused to carry out the job you're paying them for, this impacting on your business reputation, letting down clients and more importantly costing the business money you'd be ok with that? All because they might be frowned upon for a crossing a picket line that has absolutely nothing to do with them 

I'm glad you don't work for me or I'd have to deal with a few shiftless bastards going on strike every other week because the chips in the canteen aren't crinkle cut or toilet paper isn't quilted or any other stupid excuse

My point in asking the question was to ensure I didn't fuck anyone around. If I have to take a day of leave not to cross a picket line, I would do that, because i don't want to screw my employer over. You just jumped in and and immediately said that strikers can fuck off (fuck them were your exact words) and went straight to disciplinary consequences rather than any worthwhile help or suggestions. Sounds very much a full on Tory attitude to me - if you can enlighten me as to how that represents any kind of left wing view, I'd be interested to hear it. So in terms of contribution to the thread, well done there.

Wrt to running a business myself I'd make sure that people knew what the situation was so that if they knew what they were allowed to do and what they weren't - i.e. if you don't want to cross it you need to take a day off and normal policies around that will apply. 

29 minutes ago, biffer said:

My point in asking the question was to ensure I didn't fuck anyone around. If I have to take a day of leave not to cross a picket line, I would do that, because i don't want to screw my employer over. You just jumped in and and immediately said that strikers can fuck off (fuck them were your exact words) and went straight to disciplinary consequences rather than any worthwhile help or suggestions. Sounds very much a full on Tory attitude to me - if you can enlighten me as to how that represents any kind of left wing view, I'd be interested to hear it. So in terms of contribution to the thread, well done there.

Wrt to running a business myself I'd make sure that people knew what the situation was so that if they knew what they were allowed to do and what they weren't - i.e. if you don't want to cross it you need to take a day off and normal policies around that will apply. 

So you'd take a days holiday all because you might upset some people who have nothing to do with your work are striking? It takes all sorts

If the strikers were to have a problem with other people ie yourself from a different organisation going about their own daily business then yes indeed, fuck them. You've said yourself you don't know if there's any disciplinary repercussions so hence would you risk a potential disciplinary. If thinking people should be doing the job they are paid to do means I'm a Tory then so be it

Why don't you ask your line manager, contact HR or get in touch with the citizens advice bureau

Edited by DoonTheSlope
Not against strike action by people when it directly it incolves them.

47 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

It always amazes me how many people post on forums and social media for advice and when they don't like the advice they are given resorting to childish insults

Pot Kettle Black

35 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

So you'd take a days holiday all because you might upset some people who have nothing to do with your work are striking? It takes all sorts

If the strikers were to have a problem with other people ie yourself from a different organisation going about their own daily business then yes indeed, fuck them. You've said yourself you don't know if there's any disciplinary repercussions so hence would you risk a potential disciplinary. If thinking people should be doing the job they are paid to do means I'm a Tory then so be it

Why don't you ask your line manager, contact HR or get in touch with the citizens advice bureau

It's nothing to do with upsetting anyone else. No one involved in a picket line here would have a problem with someone from another organisation crossing it. It's about my own ethics. Your first reaction was 'fuck the strikers'. It kind of sends a message about your ethics as well.

5 minutes ago, biffer said:

It's nothing to do with upsetting anyone else. No one involved in a picket line here would have a problem with someone from another organisation crossing it. It's about my own ethics. Your first reaction was 'fuck the strikers'. It kind of sends a message about your ethics as well.

Whatever you say. Maybe one day you'll find yourself a backbone

22 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Whatever you say. Maybe one day you'll find yourself a backbone

I think Biffer shows more of a backbone by being selfless enough to  take a days leave than proceed with an action that contradicts his personal beliefs, regardless of  whether or not the strike relates to his own job.   

I like you DTS, but you sometimes only see things in shades of black and white.  To be fair , many people do at times, myself included.

But I would not go as far as calling you a Tory 😏